Sign in to follow this  
mitch bucannon

Some of my Fabrication Pics

Well i know its front wheel drive, but this was the first car i did everything on, in the engine bay anyway. All it had in it was the engine and gearbox. Its a bit outdated with the general style of things, but this was about 4-5 years ago.

Image012.jpg hyerjh.jpg

hyerjh (1).jpg hyerjh (2).jpg

hyerjh (3).jpg hyerjh (4).jpg

Just realised i can put pics next too each otherdoh.gif

epic skillz! where do you work?

He works at hypertune i just found out like 5 mins ago when I went there to buy some materials for my brothers GTR project

Nice meeting you today Mich didn't expect to run into you

Well as STR8E has stated, i work at Hypertune.

Nice to meet you too Kemp. I'd obviously seen you a couple of times at work, but didn't realise you were Kemp, AND STR8E180.

tongue.gif haha

epic skillz! where do you work?

He works at hypertune i just found out like 5 mins ago when I went there to buy some materials for my brothers GTR project

Nice meeting you today Mich didn't expect to run into you

Well as STR8E has stated, i work at Hypertune.

Nice to meet you too Kemp. I'd obviously seen you a couple of times at work, but didn't realise you were Kemp, AND STR8E180.

tongue.gif haha

Yeah we been dealing with each other for some time now with out realizing who each other are

It's good you guys moved closer because I don't have to drive so far to get what I need anymore

Let me know when the rest of my stuff is in and I'll come pick it up

thanks champ

ok, its time for some pics of my car!

This is what it looked like when i bought it...

17.JPG

And how it looks after "phase 1"

38.jpg

First i needed to make some room for this

63.jpg

so

35.jpg

i mucked around with this factory bracket, but clearly its poo

30.jpg29.jpg

this is the result

31.jpg32.jpg

33.jpg34.jpg

48.jpgIMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0248.jpgIMG_0250.jpg

then..

19.jpg20.jpg

21.jpg23.jpg

24.jpg25.jpg

26.jpg27.jpg

28.jpg

i put the GFB 50mm gate on the inside

44.jpgIMG_0273.jpg

IMG_0269.jpgIMG_0268.jpg

more a bit later..

Didn't know it was yours

I was checking it out when I was last there

Put a VE head on it!!!!!!

VE is definatly coming, just not for a while. haven't driven it for a over a year now,and all i got to do is tune it. so, thrash it now, VE later

What do you think of the lowmount 3037 setup?

Wow you're really talented mate.

Eventually I'll be chasing down someone to fabricate me a center dash that holds gauges, replaces all the aircon buttons etc with those jet type switches, switches for thermos, lights etc blah blah I want to feel like I'm in a jet fighter :lol:

Do you think you could make something like this?

dash.jpg

Looks good u done a really good job

I've started making manifolds out of 316L stainless steam pipe as well it's so much easier to weld and u don't even need to clean it before Welding just start zapping away it's so much easier and faster

Would love to see a VE head on your car I'm working on a quad throttle inlet manifold for mine at the moment

Wow you're really talented mate.

Eventually I'll be chasing down someone to fabricate me a center dash that holds gauges, replaces all the aircon buttons etc with those jet type switches, switches for thermos, lights etc blah blah I want to feel like I'm in a jet fighter :lol:

Do you think you could make something like this?

dash.jpg

yeah man no prob, dont really do wiring and fitting up and all that really, but i can make all the required shit and you can fit it up.

Looks good u done a really good job

I've started making manifolds out of 316L stainless steam pipe as well it's so much easier to weld and u don't even need to clean it before Welding just start zapping away it's so much easier and faster

Would love to see a VE head on your car I'm working on a quad throttle inlet manifold for mine at the moment

The manifold is actually 304 stainless. i read somewhere that it handles heat slightly better than 316, so i used that. yeah i've seen pics of your quad throttles, looking good. Are you going to back to back testing?

"Stainless Steel 304 has good resistance to oxidation in intermittent service up to 870°C and in continuous service to 925°C. However, continuous use at 425-860°C is not recommended if corrosion resistance in water is required. In this instance 304L is recommended due to its resistance to carbide precipitation.

Where high strength is required at temperatures above 500°C and up to 800°C, grade 304H is recommended. This material will retain aqueous corrosion resistance."

"Stainless Steel 316 has good oxidation resistance in intermittent service to 870°C and in continuous service to 925°C. Continuous use of 316 in the 425-860°C range is not recommended if subsequent aqueous corrosion resistance is important. Grade 316L is more resistant to carbide precipitation and can be used in the above temperature range. Grade 316H has higher strength at elevated temperatures and is sometimes used for structural and pressure-containing applications at temperatures above about 500°C"

Obviously, alot of it has to do with the welding. If you made a exh mani out of 321 stainless and welded it together after a consuming a case of beer, it wouldn't last too long. In saying that, making one out of 316 or 304, using the right welding techniques, it should last.

321 Stainless Steel is the best stainless steel for exhaust manifolds. It is commonly used on aircraft exhaust manifolds and furnace parts, but its hard to buy. Inconel on the other hand, would be the best material by far for exhaust manifolds. obviously hard to buy and probaably expensive.

I believe, although i may be wrong, HKS and Trust used to use 321 Stainless for their exhaust manifolds, like 10+ years ago. They don't any more.

great work man, pm sent!

321 is rare In steam pipe I can get it through the company I use to work for

I think it would be over kill tho... Even 316Ti is over kill

As long as it's steam pipe it works for me lol doesn't really matter

Anyways good stuff man looking forward to seeing more

Random question

U got a tube notcher ?

No i don't. I just use vice and drill press for most things.

yeah that's what I've got but I hate it

Ah so much easier to make this stuff when u do it for a living, food grade stainless sucks -.-

nah i like stainless but we do like food grade so not much in the way of building exhaust and the boss dosent realllly like us doing DIY in the workshop. i still will though :lol: gonna make myself a 2.5 straight pipe for my patrol.

Ahh so you done Lukes (from Luden Smash Repairs) CRX back in the day :)

All that stuff is still being used now lol! It's all been transplanted to another CRX.