Sign in to follow this  
zenkisan

Shoulder bursitis

Have had a sore shoulder for a bit over 18 months, after realising it wasn't going to heal itself I headed to the DR (ultrasound) and was told I had bursitis. Heading in next week to get a cortisone injection and hopefully that will fix it! Was told it was caused by repetitive action from gym and bball :-(

Has anyone else had the same issue and can shed any light if the injection fixed it 100% or any other stretches or any other methods can also help?

Not sure if its the same I have moderate thickening of the subacromial bursa, I was in a car crash 2-3 years ago dislocated my right collar bone, suffer shoulder pain and so on, got one of those steroid injections into the top of the shoulder, Im sure it help back then when i could even move my arm for about 2-3 months but i still have the pain in my shoulder weather im working out in the gym or just working on my car in difficult positions.

I get alot of random clicks and sounds coming from the right shoulder aswell, some are painfull some arent, being told told strengthen the posture of my right sholder and to posiablly get another injection into that area im pretty sure its the same thing cortisone injection.

yeah sounds like the same thing. The pain isnt constant it's just there when the arm is on certain angles and especially when lifting. Got the injection yesterday and shoulder felt better straight away, still have slight pain but nothing like it was. I've been told I won't really know if it's worked untill 1-2 weeks after. Was told can go back for another injection in 6 weeks if pain is still there but 3rd time will need surgery or another avenue of treatment, can only have so many cortisone injections as I think to many will result in breaking down your muscle tissue etc.

You need to work out whats causing the bursa to be inflamed.

Probably shitty bench technique and lack of balance in your shoulders. Its quite common and something i'm overcoming myself now.

Go see a good sports physio asap.

Sounds like what i've got to. My right shoulder has been stuffed all year. Sometimes it will feel alright for a bit and then something as stupid as just laying on it wrong flares it up again. I should probably go see a doctor about it.

I just developed elbow bursitis the day before Xmas, was having lunch and noticed my elbow starting to get really sensitive to having any pressure placed on it. By 8pm that night it was about twice the normal size. Went to hospital last night and back again this morning for 2 bags of IV antibiotics and am now on a course of the same stuff for a few days.

It's unknown what caused it as I don't rest on the elbow, didn't knock it or anything like that. It's almost back down to normal size now but gave me a bit of concern - i thought it was a bloody spider bite.

Does your shoulder swell with fluid and feel hot to the touch?

Didn't think much of this thread till now but i've always had a weird right shoulder hurts if I use it to much like throw something and has always had weird clicks and stuff coming from where the collar bone connects.

Never really bothered to get it checked cause its never been REALLY bad until now the last 2 weeks the pain has been getting worse it only hurts if I move it into an awkward position or have some load on it. I can't even take my shirt off without it hurting like hell now and roll over in bed and lay on it and hurts like crap, but if I just lift my arm with nothing on it it doesn't hurt.

Put it down to my job that i've been doing the last 6 months which involves lifting boxes full of crap and then starting back at the gym for the last 3 months has kicked it over the edge.

I'm having the next 2 weeks off gym as I use the pcyc which is closed over the holidays so hoping that helps really can't take work off at all so just been trying to use my other arm as much as possible to rest it which is hard cause I pulled all the muscles in my palm a few months back and still hasn't healed properly which is another thing i've gotta get past as its afftecting my deadlifting..

So maybe the same thing?? Not swollen or anything just hurts.

^^ Highly doubt that's bursitis, sounds more like ligament damage that never healed properly causing the joint to sit awkwardly. That was the diagnosis I got for the same symptoms many years ago after a mtb accident. I'd get it checked by a professional - if it's ligament related you'll probably be given strengthening exercises based on slow movement resistance to help. These are definitely worth doing!

^^^ Aaah that could be it will definately get it looked at but I can't remember anything happening to cause that the only thing I can think of was when I was younger throwing rocks I got some bad pain after one throw and its hurt ever since then.

Forgot I started playing mixed netball with the gf and i use that arm to throw the ball which could be why its hurting so much lately.

Wait could that be the reason why my right shoulder is kinda pulled forward and sits differently to my left?

Where do I go to get it checked just a gp? Do you think the treatment will still help out even though its been stuffed since I was younger?

Wait could that be the reason why my right shoulder is kinda pulled forward and sits differently to my left?

Where do I go to get it checked just a gp? Do you think the treatment will still help out even though its been stuffed since I was younger?

My collar bone sits foward compared to my left side due to a dislocated collar bone, and it has also ruined my sholder posture so the right shoulder does lear slightly foward, best bet is to see a orthopedic surgeon and a very good physio

I'm not a physio so can only answer based on my experiences, so please take what I say with a grain of salt as your scenario may be different . I've had the injury since I was about 16 and only got it checked properly when I was 20. I didn't bother doing the exercises properly and later injured the same shoulder after another heavy impact on it. By this stage I was in the ADF and saw a physio about it again, who gave me the same exercises to do, this time I did them and it's made a huge difference.

I'm not as active as I used to be in terms of ball sports but have found things like throwing the ball or stick with the dog don't trouble my shoulder like they used to.

You need to work out whats causing the bursa to be inflamed.

Probably shitty bench technique and lack of balance in your shoulders. Its quite common and something i'm overcoming myself now.

Go see a good sports physio asap.

Prob should have put the cause in the first post. First joined the gym and didn't know how to use a machine properly and it ended up causing my arm to swing back and cause alot of pain in my shoulder, then played bball a couple weeks after and flexed the arm right back going for a rebound, after that I could barely lift the arm for 2 weeks but eventually it got "slightly" better and I went back to the gym...as soon as I went back to the gym it never really got the chance to heal and stayed enflamed. It was going ok but then in bball about a month ago i took a hard fall straight onto the shoulder and the pain was back in full force....finially decided to go get it checked out and found it was bursitis.

Other causes are repetitive action on the joint and also as you said bad technique with lifting, should be lifting slow/steady not jerking the joint quickyl etc.

Has been 3 weeks now since I've had the injection and the shoulder is feeling 95% better!! Still going to rest it for another week and then start the gym/ball again early January. Have been told it can come back but being young I have a better chance it will heal properly now.

I just developed elbow bursitis the day before Xmas, was having lunch and noticed my elbow starting to get really sensitive to having any pressure placed on it. By 8pm that night it was about twice the normal size. Went to hospital last night and back again this morning for 2 bags of IV antibiotics and am now on a course of the same stuff for a few days.

It's unknown what caused it as I don't rest on the elbow, didn't knock it or anything like that. It's almost back down to normal size now but gave me a bit of concern - i thought it was a bloody spider bite.

Does your shoulder swell with fluid and feel hot to the touch?

yeah did swell but can't remember if it was hot etc.

Didn't think much of this thread till now but i've always had a weird right shoulder hurts if I use it to much like throw something and has always had weird clicks and stuff coming from where the collar bone connects.

Never really bothered to get it checked cause its never been REALLY bad until now the last 2 weeks the pain has been getting worse it only hurts if I move it into an awkward position or have some load on it. I can't even take my shirt off without it hurting like hell now and roll over in bed and lay on it and hurts like crap, but if I just lift my arm with nothing on it it doesn't hurt.

Put it down to my job that i've been doing the last 6 months which involves lifting boxes full of crap and then starting back at the gym for the last 3 months has kicked it over the edge.

I'm having the next 2 weeks off gym as I use the pcyc which is closed over the holidays so hoping that helps really can't take work off at all so just been trying to use my other arm as much as possible to rest it which is hard cause I pulled all the muscles in my palm a few months back and still hasn't healed properly which is another thing i've gotta get past as its afftecting my deadlifting..

So maybe the same thing?? Not swollen or anything just hurts.

could be tendon, ligament damage or bursitis. Go to a decent GP or sports DR and they "should" be able to tell you what it is. If you really want to know for sure though get an ultra sound, takes 5-10 minutes and will tell you in depth whats wrong.

Update on my situation finally got my shoulder checked and I have bursitis which is inflamed. They also said it looked like I could have a slight torn tendon aswell and I have some seperation where my collarbone joins my shoulder but reckoned that was nothing.

My treatment is rest said I could get cortison injections but if I use common sense and rest when it hurts it shouldn't be too much hassle if I can deal with it.

gday mate, i had bursitis after a separated shoulder.

what worked for me was frequent, very light, stretching (never to any sort of acute pain) throughout the day and Throwers Ten exercises with a band. I did the throwers ten 3 times a day every day, and kept up the range of movement stuff until it healed. After that it was fine, stronger than my other one in fact.

Obviously see a physio etc etc. but that is what worked for me. best of luck

http://orthodoc.aaos.org/JonathanEFowMD/THROWERS%20TEN%20EXERCISES.doc

edit. my bad, i see you've been prescribed rest :) maybe give these a crack after it improves. They are great exercises for shoulder stability.