Sign in to follow this  
Spazo

MX5's

Take the engine out of the S15, drop a stocker in it and sell.

Then drop the forged sr20 in an MX5

AMEN.

:thumbsup:

I wouldn't exactly call a 4AGE AE86 quick....

If you are buying a MX5 for straight line performance you're missing the point and looking at the wrong vehicle.

i would call it quick. i wouldnt call it fast though

Fair call

I wouldn't exactly call a 4AGE AE86 quick....

If you are buying a MX5 for straight line performance you're missing the point and looking at the wrong vehicle.

i would call it quick. i wouldnt call it fast though

I wouldn't call it quick, I'd call it 'speedy.'

Actually I wouldn't call it speedy, id call it swift.

Got any more synonyms there? :lol:

you can't compare a non turbo 1.6 to turbo cars! you gotta compare it to other cars in the same class which are like sprinters, civics etc

Theres an MX-5 and S14 sitting in my driveway atm. They both have pro's and con's, Seeing you already own a Silvia I won't go too in depth with it.

The MX-5 is setup for the track/abuse whereas the S14 has had minimal mods (exhaust, IC blah blah).

Anyway, the 5 isn't bad on fuel and is extremely fun to drive (even stock!). It just depends how far you want to take it really, I mean mine has had alot of shit stripped, parts changed etc.

You won't need to worry about getting up hills, they aren't that bad. They share the same engine as the 323/Astina's (and the 323 GT-X/GT-R w/o the turbo).

I'd say that the S14 is easier to drive then the MX-5, mainly because of the mods on it ( Locker, ORC clutch, Straight pipe etc). But on the track, the 5 wins hands down, It's a little harder to get/stay sideways, but the satisfaction is all there.

Ok, some cliffnotes

MX-5

Pros:

Good on fuel

Extremely reliable

Very satisying to drive

zippy, punchy little engine

Drop top ... great to expericence

lots of aftermarket support

some parts are interchangable between NA/NB series (i.e diffs, brakes, seats, ínterior, gearboxes etc)

Not as much police attention compared to other jap cars

Can pick up an NB for under 10k now, Cheap!

Cons:

If your a tall fella, you'll sit a little high in the factory position (I'm roughly 185cm) BUT a sparco sprint will fix that (and bolt up to the factory rails with minimal mods)

Very tame looking from factory (like most cars out of the 90's)

Most come with an open diff (special edditions got a torsen type diff)

the NA6 diff assembly isn't the best, and has been known to fail on stock power levels. (hence why the 1.8 litre conversion is so popular).

A lot of people that are closed minded, and don't understand what the MX-5 is all about will give you shit for it.

Need a little bit of work for drift. They aren't the ideal car to drift with (thanks to the short wheel base), but with a few mods (tie rods, LSD, etc) they do the job just fine.

Anyway, here's a vid of my first time on the peanut.

And one on the skid pan

They can look pretty cool too, mine's below but if you search my blog, there are a stack of dope looking MX-5's on there that would change any non believer! http://RoadsterGarage.net You'll also find what kinda parts are on my car too, what works and what doesn't etc.

img_14761.jpg

img8964ct.jpg

img8999f.jpg

I took a mates na8 for a drive the other day and absolutely loved it! for someone who was never a fan of mx5's to enjoy driving one so much that I am attempting to get a loan to purchase one is something!

While yes, I am a girl, I am very heavily influenced by decent styling - none of this pink fluffy stuff crap...

I also chose mx5's due to the insurance being cheap and the ability to take it to the track + hills.

Lets just hope the one I am chasing is still available, lol.

Such underrated cars. Had a mate who had one (nb) with just coilovers, swaybars and good tyres that kept up with an evo 7 though forrest (the road off great ocean road) Not quick in a straight line but eats up corners.

I went from a s14 with light mods that i still drive every now and then, bought a 1992 NA6CE (no ABS,no P/S) considering i can drive the s14 whenever i want too, not a day goes by were id rather drive the s14. ive never had any proper issues with it. despite blowing the ass end out of my diff by attempting a 6500 rpm launch, but then again that just means LSD for me :). no doubt the 1.6 is no power house, but like plenty of people say if its about power your looking at the wrong car. the only way i can describe it is FUN, you wont run a flat 10 buying milk but youll forget about the milk when youve driven 4 k's further just to keep driving. very underrated cars! youll cop it for driving a hair dresser's car but thats from tradies driving VN executives.

end of the day ive driven GTR's XR6 turbos, silvias other random sports cars. but none give the response and feel that an mx5 does.

P.S dustyae86 lies for a living haha

Has anyone looked into turbocharging the non-turbo 1.8? Sussed some forums briefly and it seems pretty safe if you run low boost and have a cooler...

It is quite a popular modification. I wouldn't do it to chase big power. Just for a nice little bit of extra oomph when you out the foot down. Somewhere around the 120rwkw mark would be awesome in a MX5 and still very safe.

Has anyone looked into turbocharging the non-turbo 1.8? Sussed some forums briefly and it seems pretty safe if you run low boost and have a cooler...

It would surely be better to locate a turbo engine from an MX-5 SP (assuming one is available), but I wouldn't expect much in terms of reliability and longevity by turbocharging the stock 1.8L without at least a rebuild and strengthening of internals.

If I didn't already have a daily (company car) and the Evo, I would have an MX-5 in a heart beat. How can you not resist rolling around in something that looks like this:

VegasROD-0834-1.jpg

It would surely be better to locate a turbo engine from an MX-5 SP (assuming one is available), but I wouldn't expect much in terms of reliability and longevity by turbocharging the stock 1.8L without at least a rebuild and strengthening of internals.

Wrong, The SP is the exact same engine out of a series II/III NB MX-5 (Including the 10:1 compression ratio and VVT). A few of them have infact needed rebuilds because of this.

The NA8 and NB S1 Engines are the best for forced induction, as they have a decent compression ratio (9:1 I think). They are actually extremely similar to the 323 GTX/GT-R engines. These engines can handle 160kw's quite happily with supporting mods.

NA6 engines aren't bad either, but cannot handle as much power (130-150kw).

The SE engine is the best of the lot, Mazda redesigned it for the factory turbo. They ditched the VVT and strenghened the internals, these are known to handle 200kw's easily.

Edited by MXHEVN

I was in Melbourne on Saturday and purchased an NA8 for a VERY decent price, so pretty happy about that. So fuel efficient, did over 900km on $75 worth of fuel with the AC on the whole time. Plus travelled through flood waters too :S

I am so happy to be in a rwd car and as Skye said, there are no issues getting up hills at all!

We just discovered that its a clubman also, so one of 186 made! has bilstein shocks, lsd and no power steering.. so we're pretty happy about that for the price we paid!

P1010171.JPG

haha for sure Skye! gotta get used to this thing in the hills LOL

You guys will have that thing looking even better in no time.

Those wheels MUST go :P

Lol Joel,

Getting the stock wheels sent over at some stage. Im thinking of just getting Superlites or something for the interim.

Then there is the problem of suspension, as it already handles well but I want it lower... so I dunno!

Find out from Mike what springs he had in his. That was beautiful to drive in the hills. And was still quite low.

Jenna if you want some coils for it, i have some Cusco's coming soon in Christians container.

also have some Garage Vary front lips. they are soo easy to pimp out. you will love it!!

cant wait to thrash with another chick in an mx5!!