Sign in to follow this  
Phorte

The Home Theatre Thread

I guess ill tag mine on the back of this..

Its my mancave though,

Projector - non hd unfortunatly 2.8m or so?

1600 Channels including all foxtel

Sound is currently coming from my pc 5.1 setup (logitech)

Its good enough for me, I'd just like to upgrade the screen to a full HD model, then the soundsystem

Bar on the right with dodgey LED lighting.. - renting so i cant do too much to the place.

I need to lower the image, but raise the projector so its more out of the way and less of looking up when your in the seat.

Plus i dont know what else my man cave needs.. but ill figure it out..

483236_10151109500962433_9118926_n.jpg

Edited by TougeR34

I am 10 months in to the major renovation on my house, which includes a new addition and alfresco.

The addition includes an extension to join onto my existing old outbuilding. This was more to prove a point to people who said I should just knock it down.

In hind sight they were probably right clear.png

The room measures 4.4m by 5.6m on the inside, which I have decided to turn the room into a dedicated home theatre.

The idea was gut the whole room and start from scratch.

So far I have removed the existing timber floor and poured a new slab, installed a new colourbond roof, added new purlins and rafters, installed a new commercial grade 1.3m by 0.9m aluminium window and red cedar French double doors. I have built an internal steel frame for the 13mm commercial grade gyprock,

I am not a tech head, but my objective is to build a home theatre to impress, both in screen size, picture quality and sound, which looks good and on a budget.

This is where I want people’s ideas and opinions.

So far I am planning:

A 120” fixed 16:9 screen recessed into the wall

BenQ W1070 Projector

I have just purchased a set of Klipsch 5.1 Quintets and 350W subwoofer and a Onkyo Amp

The ceilings are 2.7m in height and have built a bulkhead around the outside, I plan on inseting LED’s strip lights to add ambient light to the ceiling and 2 or 3 coloured LED down lights to the edges of the bulkhead.

Dark curtains will stretch the whole length of the sides and I will have dark style carpet to the floors.

Instead of stadium seating I am looking at a L shaped couch with recliners, which can fit 3 to 4 people access.

Any suggestions and feedback are welcome.

I am doing a lot of research at the moment, and want to make sure I get it right.

I have just finished the flushing and I start painting tonight and the capet goes in next friday

This is the progress from around a week ago

gyprockfront.jpg

gyprockrear.jpg

Edited by Kairazy

If putting in a fixed screen, add a black surround for contrast... Will improve image quality massively.

Good idea on the couches.. Stadium seating is good for the impression and ok for guests, but how are you meant to propely mac your missus if you are in separate seats?

Ive heard ok things about the benq, but I have had such a good run with my epson, and everyone I have recommended epsons to have similar stories. The latest epsons are just amazing. Personally, if you arent spending the big dollars on the top of the line jvc's, epsons are generally the clear choice.

My home theatre aint much to look at:

Definative Audio BP8b's

Wharfedale SW150

Sansui Au 505 (built 1975)

Sony 55" led

DacMagic 100 DAC

PS3

I pretty much stream everything from the desktop to the PS3 via PS3 Media Server, or for music i run everything from my phone via the DAC

This is my progress so far.

Will hopefully gave all the av installed over Christmas.

DSC_0227.jpg

Does ubuntu give you foxtel channels for free? or only free to air

Does ubuntu give you foxtel channels for free? or only free to air

Yes.