Sign in to follow this  
Gurglar

Lower back hurst after squats

After squats my lower back hurts it has like a twingy pain not a fatigued pain and i'm wondering what it could be caused from?? I'm pretty sure my form is good could it be from going TO low cause I go as low as I possibly can without falling over?? Maybe my back is shifting???

Just want to know so I don't stuff my back up cause that will be really bad :P

Do you do any other core work? Deadlifts SLDL etc.? Maybe your core is a tad weak and you arent locking it out fully when lowering for squats, will explain the pain in your back if you have a weakness in your core. Do more support exercises for your core/PC and also stretch your quads and hamstrings well, if they are tense they can pull on the lower back and spine and create soreness.

Dont be to worried about stuffing up your back squatting, if your form is good and the weight isnt to heavy you should be fine, i prefer 20 reppers for squats for this reason, doing 1rm`s and lower rep high weight stuff isnt very good for your lower back if your core isnt really solid, i certainly wouldnt be doing to high weight if you dont do any other core work except squats.

What sort of weight's are we talking about you lifting here Gurglar and how long have you been squatting for?

Only just got back into lifting been doing it for nearlly 2 months now and only lifting 85kg for squats i'm a short ass 5'5 and weigh about 65kg haven't weighed myself in abit.

I also do deadlifts, bent rows, military press, bench etc. all basic free weight exercises don't use any machines.

I don't do all that in one session though.

Only time I feel the pain is after squatting deadlifts I don't feel a thing.

Prob need to have someone video your form. Most likely your bending over too much as your coming up. Maybe change up to front squats. They work your legs but also your core as well.

"Wear a belt" and increase the weakness in your back thats the probable cause for your back pain after squats. You need to get someone whos knows whats what to observe/correct your squat technique & also dont lift too heavy before your body is ready. Ego must be left at the door for this which you've probly all heard before.

You need to develop your body as a whole, therefore supplementing your squats with other movements such as deadlift as above, bent rows & standing military press just for a few examples.

Post a vid. I've got good odds that you're buttwinking due to poor flexibility, that or you're not keeping your back tight.

as above, sounds like you could be rounding your back when your in the hole, get a video of yourself squatting and post it on hear, we'll be able to see what your doing wrong then

I'm a physio, blah blah blah.

Dont really know what else to say.

Break at the hips first, then bend at the knees, push your arse back. Kness not coming past the toes. Maintaining a neutral spine.

Cant go wrong, you may have impropper technique. And maybe lower the weights your lifting and work your way up

Why do them just leg press if your back hurts. I know plenty of units that's don't squat heavy because the risk vs reward isnt the best. I know too many people that have hurt their back on the last rep of a heavy third set. The first thing to break down when you are fatiguing durning a await evercise is usually the lower back. So how can you really push it?

But the sheep on this site will tell that you should squat twice a week and drink 15 litres of milk a day lol

I notice I get a sore back if I'm too bent at the hips (bent forward). Keep your chin and chest up.

Made this thread awhile ago and forgot about it the pain has stopped.

At the time I dropped the weight and tried a few different stances and with a slightly wider stance I don't get any pain and havent had any since making this thread, i'm up to 115kg on squats now without hurting.

Post up a video from the side of your squatting.

You'll probably be using poor form.

Made this thread awhile ago and forgot about it the pain has stopped.

At the time I dropped the weight and tried a few different stances and with a slightly wider stance I don't get any pain and havent had any since making this thread, i'm up to 115kg on squats now without hurting.

have you noticed any size increase with the squats ?

I am a physiotherapist, most injuries I have seen through weight lifting are generally due to poor technique.

To reduce load on your body when squatting:

-don't go too deep (your hips shouldn't go below the height of your knees, ie don't let your thighs go past parallel angle with the ground)

You're going to need to give some evidence to back up this age old bullshit.

But the sheep on this site will tell that you should squat twice a week and drink 15 litres of milk a day lol

3 times a week if you're a beginner. :thumbsup:

i dont do them at all

i got a weak lower back structerly so none for me

only light weight ones for high reps

in the lower curvature it only curves in over three discs where it should be a progresive curve over 4 or 5 maybe

i had this condition when i was young where the plates didnt form properly and the kind of eroded a bit during puberty

its not a probled i just stay away from heavy squats and it puts too much pressure on the one area

can still leg press a f**k load though

Hmm... I might let you get away with not squatting then. Just.

Sounds like your foot positioning try bringing your feet further forward when squatting, takes pressure of your lower back

Sounds like your foot positioning try bringing your feet further forward when squatting, takes pressure of your lower back

WTF?!

Did you think before you typed that?

Before you arc up, just think about it...

WTF?!

Did you think before you typed that?

Before you arc up, just think about it...

got me super confused to.. Drugs_0541.gif