Sign in to follow this  
DeluxeJZS

Opinions on Protein shakes

Hey guys, You might remember the thread i started a little while ago about wanting to loose weight, that turned into a shit fight and thread locked! ahahah

Anyways, Im full steam ahead, and have bitten the bullet and joined a gym near me. Now i've had a trainer go thru whats best for me to work on, eg i play basketball, so she's got me on not only loosing the weight i want, but helping to strengthen my basketball needs.

So i weighed in at 106kgs and im 192cm tall(6ft3), so that equated to having 25.7% body fat, not exactly mega fat, but still over what it should be :thumbsup:

Now i've also tried to change up my diet a bit and get some consistancy in there, eg eating some fruit, nuts, tuna and so on in smaller meals during the day. BUT what i would like to know is, what suggestions you guys have for a brand or style of protien shake that i would need to look at buying to help the process along a bit quicker. OR do i not bother and not go for any "helpers", and just run its course naturally??

Thanks in advance for your help :yes:

Eat healthy, While your losing weight ie fat content, your losing your muscle too just less of it.

TBH you dont have to take protein shakes at your weight well not in my opinion. Protein just helps your muscle heal when it is torn.

However, if you are keen on taking protein shakes then id suggest sumething with 90-100% protein and no carbs mainly becauase you dont need extra carbs.

Umnn musashi is shit if your looking for protein suplements it is like the homebrand of it. Gen tec is good, something called like supperman, isolate, etc. and make sure you get a supplement high in amino acids. Again in my opinion maybe look at trying creatine? it basically allows your atp's recover faster which is the way you produce energy. This then allows you to pump more weights and endure longer.

Then post training maybe go for 1 90-100% protein shake.

Goodluck

Edited by Rasian

Protein just helps your muscle heal when it is torn.

Does a bit more than that mate, it's alot more complex for your body to digest, meaning less insulin production.

Umnn musashi is shit if your looking for protein suplements it is like the homebrand of it. Gen tec is good, something called like supperman, isolate, etc. and make sure you get a supplement high in amino acids.

Mushashi isn't a home brand, if you actually knew anything about protein companies then you'd know in australia they all get their pure whey from 2 companies....what does this mean? At the end of the day they are all the same shit.

Also protein IS amino acids, so ofcourse there will be amino acids in protein, that's what it's made of.

And there's no such thing as 100% protein

Do more research

Personally I use ISO Sensation 93 Vanilla Bean or Chocolate fudge. 33g scoop is 30g of protein, mixes well and just tastes like chocolate/vanilla flavoured milk. Fairly low in carbs which suits my goals. As above none of this is rocket science, walk into a supplement store read some labels but be sure to compare protein content to the serving size. Ie some will claim 50g of protein per serve but that is from 3 30g scoops etc.

If you are looking to drop weight then finding the most pure protein powder is ideal as it simply cannot contain as much carbs/fill. Use it as it is intended though as a supplement it should not replace real food in your diet.

Eat healthy, While your losing weight ie fat content, your losing your muscle too just less of it.

TBH you dont have to take protein shakes at your weight well not in my opinion. Protein just helps your muscle heal when it is torn.

However, if you are keen on taking protein shakes then id suggest sumething with 90-100% protein and no carbs mainly becauase you dont need extra carbs.

Umnn musashi is shit if your looking for protein suplements it is like the homebrand of it. Gen tec is good, something called like supperman, isolate, etc. and make sure you get a supplement high in amino acids. Again in my opinion maybe look at trying creatine? it basically allows your atp's recover faster which is the way you produce energy. This then allows you to pump more weights and endure longer.

Then post training maybe go for 1 90-100% protein shake.

Goodluck

MATE STOP RIGHT THERE.

YOU HAVE NO IDEA.

DeluxeJZS -

You need to take Isolate after you train.. (it's absorbed quickly) Theres a post workout only - protein iv'e been using from ASN - australian sports nutrition. It's called Anabolic Window basically it's full of Protein Isolate, it has carbs it has simple carbs which are great after training as they are absorbed straight away (Dextrose) and push nutrients into the muscle and support your growth repairing cells etc. Look up ( Glycogen supercompinsation theres a link on bb.com) it will teach you why the simple carbs are important after a workout. (insulin Spiking etc.. )

As for throughout the day just have a WPC whey protein concentrate .. no protein is really going to help speed things up.. make sure you keep your protein very high so that you can maintain muscle Yeah protein maintains muscle and stops catabolic.. ( Rasian ) ... so he won't lose muscle if he keeps protein up.

Try runninn early when their is less carbs to burn off is really good try doing interval training so run as quick as you can as long as u can then slow jog and then again for only 20 minutes as intense as you can and have as short as break as you can.. Make sure when you wake up early you have protein though.. like isolate or wpc.. so you don't go into your muscle.. and rather fat stores as your body finds it harder to break down protein into glucose then the carbs.. so you use alot of the fat for energy..

if you want to know anything else just PM me im at work right now so can't spend to much time explaining things.

Awesome guys, this is great!!

Cheers Buschy for that, Yeah about a year ago i was going to the gym with just a idea to get in shape, and was only intended for about a 3-4month stint, so i bought a couple tubs of suppliments, think one was called WTF a nitric oxide suppliment, but after the 2nd tub i started to get tummy issues, so i lost interest. But i never tried any form of protein shake, hence why i have not much of an idea of whats good to use and recommended, so yeah man cheers I'll be keeping that all in mind!!

i'd suggest something such as PVL Hydroflow XP3 excellent high whey protein content, very low carb and very low fat.. chocoalte taste's excellent.. mix it with Water and its your perfect post workout drink to get protein into you!

When I did sports nutrition at uni, the lecturer said making up skim milk powder with actual skim milk is a cheaper way to have a high protein drink. Not as technical in the biology of fitness and muscle repair/building but good for tight-arse body builders i guess.

Yes but way too much lactose to consume for most people.

Wpc is cheap very cheap.. You don't need anabolic brand protein these people don't know what they are talking about.. You don't even 'need' such large amounts of sugar after training it takes Alot longer then 40min of strength training to deplete muscle glycogen. Also you don't need wpi after training.. Your body will have amino acids in circulation from the meals to have been eating all day before training.

What has this trainer got you doing?

Yeah bad things about having the milk is all the other bits you dont need like the lactose and small amount of fat, and it also doesnt come in trendy flavours like choc mint that give you bad breath after drinking them :-)

Edited by levizzle

Yeah guys i ended up going with Hydroxi Pro, Ripped.......Seems to have worked well for me with the first 3 months, now have a new routine targeting different areas per day, and still running the Ripped!! Vanilla tastes freakin awesome, and makes me want to workout just to get home and have one bwahhahahaha

ON Whey Gold standard is a good one for lean mass. Very little sugar and carb content.

http://www.aminoz.co...47kg-p-187.html

+1 brah.

Best tasting protein ive had (with water/milk, But not as good as Syntha6).

Been using it for 2 years now.

ON Whey Gold standard is a good one for lean mass. Very little sugar and carb content.

http://www.aminoz.co...47kg-p-187.html

+1 brah.

Best tasting protein ive had (with water/milk, But not as good as Syntha6).

Been using it for 2 years now.

Im also on the ON Whey Gold standard its awesome value, very high protein with little crap in it. Which ever protein you chose just make sure it fits with your goals ie. if your trying to get leaner dont take something with a shit load of calories, carbs and fats in it.

musashi choc malt tastes like shit. I'm going back to vanilla cream.

musashi choc malt tastes like shit. I'm going back to vanilla cream.

ahaha I tried the choc in my shakes and it tasted like shit also, drinkable, but shit compared to the vanilla!!

all i would suggest is get a mix of casien and whey protein. To be honest brand doesnt make much of a difference as mentioned earlier all protein is sourced from 2 main suppliers.

dont fall for all these rapid absorbtion and super hydrolised marketing schemes.. protein like that passes through your bowel too quickly and doesnt get the chance to absorb.

all i would suggest is get a mix of casien and whey protein. To be honest brand doesnt make much of a difference as mentioned earlier all protein is sourced from 2 main suppliers.

dont fall for all these rapid absorbtion and super hydrolised marketing schemes.. protein like that passes through your bowel too quickly and doesnt get the chance to absorb.

What the f**k does that mean..

Technically if it is passing through the bowel it is being absorbed... Hydrolised isnt a marketing scheme it is breaking down protein into predigested peptides so your body has to do less work.. However aminos are far superior in speed to any form of actual protein.

I sitll dont understand what you meant to say did you mean that the protein is too quickly excreted? If so how do you come to this conclusion and based on what?

Just based on research and latest university studies into absorbtion of whey protein and different levels of processing / peptides. In summary concludes that the best protein to take post workout is a mix of casien and standard whey. With the faster absorbing proteins, whilst they absorbed quicker, less protein was able to be absorbed due to them passing through the digestion system too quickly.

How much did they take?

Post workout protein isn't as fast as everyone believes ore workout nutrition and your days eating will determine the aminos available at time of finishing training.

Just based on research and latest university studies into absorbtion of whey protein and different levels of processing / peptides. In summary concludes that the best protein to take post workout is a mix of casien and standard whey. With the faster absorbing proteins, whilst they absorbed quicker, less protein was able to be absorbed due to them passing through the digestion system too quickly.

By that do you mean bowel movements?? eg if you went to the crapper 2-3 times a day, then it has less time to work its magic, as aposed to going once a day when it has more time to work.....OR am i completely off the path??

I'm using bsc hydroxy-burn amongst other things and I'm starting to see good results considering I'm not hitting the weights ATM and just doing cardio.

Maybe even some extra l-carnitine aswell... This is what I have been recommended to use to aid in weightless whilst training to put on muscle aswell.

By that do you mean bowel movements?? eg if you went to the crapper 2-3 times a day, then it has less time to work its magic, as aposed to going once a day when it has more time to work.....OR am i completely off the path??

no nothing to do with how often you go to the bog. The way protein is structured and how refined it is etc will have an effect on how it is absorbed.

Im unsure of the specific dynamics, i should have saved the page. I just took away from it the main point.. which is the most effective post workout protein is not just a whey, its whey/ casien OR JUST casien if you had to choose. May have even been one of Aaron Aragon's writeups.

Whey is whey honesty.. I like how people think they take protein ad magic things happen.

no nothing to do with how often you go to the bog. The way protein is structured and how refined it is etc will have an effect on how it is absorbed.

Im unsure of the specific dynamics, i should have saved the page. I just took away from it the main point.. which is the most effective post workout protein is not just a whey, its whey/ casien OR JUST casien if you had to choose. May have even been one of Aaron Aragon's writeups.

Ahhh ok then!! :thumbsup:

Whey is whey honesty.. I like how people think they take protein ad magic things happen.

yeha its pretty funny, i guess the supplement companies have done a good job of making people forget that protein is found in food not only in expensive containers.

Guys been reading around for the last 30 minutes or so but can't pinpoint the exact info I'm after.

I need to gain ALOT of weight - read up on TONS of extremely useful info already on here ... but need to know which protein shake i should get. I'm guessing it should be high in carbs as well as over 22gm of protein? If someone can link me to the one most suitable on http://www.vitaminking.com.au/ I'd really appreciate it.

Basically i'll be eating alot of eggs and Tuna / drinking alot of milk, eating enough meals in a day and working on the skinny man routine in the gym. But need a shake i can drink 3-4 times a day.

Thanks in advance.

maxx power... made in usa and really good or u can jump on HG 2500 3 month course and will garentee resalts