M7960: 54.0mm

S13 Stock: 42.4mm

S14/S15 Stock: 47.0mm

Turbine Wheel Blade #

M8270: 11

M7960: 11

http://www.rhdjapan.com/tomei-arms-turbine-kit-m8270-m7960-sr20det-63530

Any feedback on these turbos? it will be bolted on to a s15 sr20det cheers

think given the test beds a stroker, it might be a little laggy on a standard sr? 2871's fairly tried, proven and cheap and in the same power range.. but yeah be interesting to see how it goes on a 'normal' sr.

They are very decently priced for a quality jap brand was thinking the smaller m8260 version for street use would love to hear from anyone running one

I haven't been able to read much on these (even on various Japanese forums) about these new turbos. I'm glad they're building them in house and selling them at such a great price. I'm hoping a few people over on Zilvia come through with their orders and post up what they think about them soon :whistle:

just thinking of the quality that comes out of TOMEI i wouldn't think these would be bad at all would love some reviews and results

7960 would be my pick of the 2. Wheel sizes slightly smaller than a proper 3071 so i would expect it could make around 260ish rwkw with pretty good response.

The larger one has massive wheels to put into a t28 sized set of housings and will be far from optimum. it is roughly equivalent to a gt3576. I would actually be interested if it was in gt30 sized housings but for tomei to only rate it at 50hp above the smaller one it's obvious the housings are choking it.

The 7960 graph shown on frsport looks great, especially how fat it is down low, then a smooth power curve. That would be my pick (I have a tomei 2.2), as the other one isn't doing a lot until 4k then all hell breaks loose.

On my track car I'd rather have response with a lower power output than a high peak number that I can't really use to do anything other than turn tyres to dust :)

Edited by tinto

M7960 is like a TD06-20G

M8270 is like a TD06-25G

Those graphs don't mean much to most people as the majority of us are still 2L, which means it's going to come on boost slower than what's graphed, less power and less torque.

Luckily for me I have an EVO 9 sitting in the garage so I see what's going on in the EVO world.

What you may not know is this turbo is not all *that* new... these were developed for the mitsubishi EVO range of Tomei ARMS turbos and so what Tomei have done is taken the guts out of those EVO ARMS turbos, shoved them into SILVIA housings and hey presto this is the result.

Now the problem is that these Tomei ARMS turbo when put to the test on EVOS, UNDER performed! They were laggier and made less power than the turbo's already available. If a turbo is developed specifically for the EVO, and got poor results on an EVO, and then you take that product and slap it onto a SILVIA... you'll only end up with poor(er) results.

You gotta wonder why its taken so long for Tomei to make a turbo for silvias, why go Tomei when you got Trust, HKS and Garret? That have been tried and proven.

Yeah that's what i was thinking, they look to have done what HKS did with Garrett, use the Mitsi CHRA and make their own housings.

The 8270 doesn't look to be purely mitsi though it seems to use a bigger trim version of a Garrett GT3076R compressor (76.2mm exducer) with a TD06H turbine. Although i don't know if the H trim wheel has 11 blades, i thought that the SL2 cropped version of the TD06 turbine had 1 less blade at 11 where as the other full versions had 12.

Yeah that's what i was thinking, they look to have done what HKS did with Garrett, use the Mitsi CHRA and make their own housings.

The 8270 doesn't look to be purely mitsi though it seems to use a bigger trim version of a Garrett GT3076R compressor (76.2mm exducer) with a TD06H turbine. Although i don't know if the H trim wheel has 11 blades, i thought that the SL2 cropped version of the TD06 turbine had 1 less blade at 11 where as the other full versions had 12.

Anyone got any news on these turbos? There's been a few sold so hopefully someone has tried them?

didn't some member a while ago start a similar thread, asking about these then went ahead and bought one without much input? Anyone else remember that? any idea how it went?

You gotta wonder why its taken so long for Tomei to make a turbo for silvias, why go Tomei when you got Trust, HKS and Garret? That have been tried and proven.

Research and Development, Nothing against Tomei on this item, But until i begin to see more and more vehicles using it i would rather buy a Trust turbo personally.

didn't some member a while ago start a similar thread, asking about these then went ahead and bought one without much input? Anyone else remember that? any idea how it went?

yes i remember the one.

link here

tuned one of the M7960 yday - can definitely see limitations in the setup of this vehicle - has an old CES dump and i believe isnt expelling the wastegate gases quick enough - hence why boost doesnt stabilise itself until very late in the rev range at 18-19psi

am doing one next week with a tomei dump which i believe should catch the boost at 1 bar a bit earlier - then we can bring it on faster with the EBC to make more overall

pics attached of the one i did yday and also the one im doing next week

also doing a M8270 week after! will keep posted!

IMG_3713.jpg

IMG_3712.jpg

IMG_3698.jpg

I'm watching this thread for sure. The other threads over on Zilvia haven't been so favorable for these turbos...<_>

Yay, that's mine.

cannot wait to see the results :D

Yay, that's mine.

Hope you're results are better than the one shown. Any chance of a GT-RS, T518z, 7960 comparo?

I wonder how these compare to the new Garret GTX range. They spool faster and produce more power then the normal 3071r, 3076

Yay, that's mine.

Hope you're results are better than the one shown. Any chance of a GT-RS, T518z, 7960 comparo?

yeah, the one i have fitted is the largest one in that range. That said the car above with the smaller one looks like it has some issues with boost, would be better with supporting mods.

les that one isnt yours chief - that is another 7960 setup with expreme mani and expreme dump

yours is diff again - should be turning key on your beast in next few days ;)

les that one isnt yours chief - that is another 7960 setup with expreme mani and expreme dump

yours is diff again - should be turning key on your beast in next few days ;)

I thought he was referring to

doing a M8270 week after
rather than the pic.

Volt-Bite thanks for the heads up on the GTX range.

I was tempted to keep everything Tomei but it seems these turbos aren't living up to the quality of the rest of the Tomei gear.

Still keen on the results for Les' car though.

Yeah k style is right but anyway lol

I'm stocked to here that rob! Keep me updated :) just thinking about it is getting me excited :D

End of week maby?

oky doky - the one in the picture with tomei mani and dump tuned and done

much better with the boost control

me just thinks this motor would like a slightly bigger set of sticks than the 256 babies in it now

so make sure you run a good bellmouth style dump with these things :D

IMG_3717.jpg

IMG_3718.jpg

IMG_3719.jpg