Sign in to follow this  
>MRG187

Lense selection.

Hey guys, Looking at upgrading my canon ef 75-300mm f/4-5.6.

What are some good upgrades for the canon eos 1000d? (i know it's not the best).. Would like to know some proven lense that are good for drift photography, possisbly with IS...

Also would like to keep it under 1k if i could... Any info would be great im new to photography so go easy lol

cheers

IIRC - The canon 1000D only has 7 focus points, correct? Possible in the future look to upgrading to something with 9AF points like a 40/50/60D or even the 7D. Just a thought.

As for drift photography lenses, you can't go past the 70-200's.

You can pick up the 70-200 f/4 Non IS for $1000. But then again you want IS...

Any reason why you want IS? I have a 70-200 2.8IS and i never use IS for drift/motorsport photography. I only use it for stationary shots or other photography where i'll be shooting low shutter speeds.

There is the 3rd party options of Sigmas "Bigma" the 50-500 that has OS (A form of IS), but i think thats around $1500, probably less if you shop around. then there is the 150-500, there is another lens that goes to 400mm from Sigma, although i can't remember what it's called.

They are all variable apertures depending on the focal length, not constant though like the 70-200's.

Otherwise, Save up your dough, theres a 75-300L that just got released. Expect that to be around the $2K zone though.

It's better to save a bit more and get something decent, than be unhappy and wanting something else. I've been there!

Hope i've helped!

^ Hey matey yea i know i have the worst of the canon range lol, will look to upgrade soon. And for the IS i assumed that that helped with panning as in helps stablize the image, obviously im wrong lol

Sorta glad that i dont have to look for IS now, there so expensive. So you reckon the 70-200 f4 would be the best bet.?

Also how bad is the lense i have now? It seems to do the job just thought it's a starter lense?

Cheers matey you did help :)

Canon has the same with there IS system with Modes 1 and 2.

Mode 2 is intended for panning and tracking movement.

Personally, i find that the 0.5seconds taken to stabilize your already re-focusing and tracking it further anyway. A lot of people agree that they get better results with IS turned off. I shoot between 1/20th and 1/60th and i don't use IS. It depends how you stand and how steady you can track. Practice practice practice!

The lens you have now is not "bad" its just not as fast aperture wise and AF wise as a 70-200 would be.

If i was starting out and i wanted to spend $1K i would be looking at a 70-200 straight away. The f/4 is actually the sharpest of all the 70-200's!

Oh ok i thought everyone used IS for panning, good to know most dont...

Also with the camera body i have would it be worth buying the 70-200 or simply use the money for a 40,50,60D??

I just did a similar upgrade.

I'm using a 450D.

I had the same lens as you, the 75-300 and just upgraded to a 70-200 f/4L (cost of about $1200). I foudn the 75-300 was a actually a good lens to learn with because i got it cheap I wasnt worry about bashing it around a bit and I wasnt too paranoid i was going to break it.

Now the 70-200 is my baby lol. The 70-200 will give you a sharper image. Example, both were taken at a similar position at Mallala (Turn 2) ut under differnt lighting conditions, but you still get the idea.

IMG_6944.jpg

This was taken with the 75-300

IMG_8810.jpg

This was taken with the 70-200

You can't really compare lenses at all unless its a static image, both shot at tripods at exactly the same settings and same lighting etc...

The 70-200 is in a whole different league to the 75-300 and you won't regret buying it! I baby mine, but i also abuse it too an extent, i don't drop it or bash it etc... but i'm not afraid to leave it dangling or put it down on concrete etc..

Go to a camera store and test one out before you buy it.

A body upgrade would be worthy, but i'd get glass first (At least one decent lens) and then think about upgrading the body. You can buy second hand 40D's and 50D's now for around $500-$800.

Good luck with your selection and make sure you post up your images!

Cheers Luke and Kory, i'll probly buy the 70-200 one day soon and eventually try to sell my body and buy a 50d or something..

Will definately throw some pics up, might even do a thread in the events pics section. Was at Stadium Drift at Tailem it was my second time with drift photography, got a few pics but lost most of them to a totally noob mistake lol I learnt my lesson though.

I'll let you guys know when theyre up and youse can have a look, any positive criticism is welcome too.. thumbsup.gif

I just did a similar upgrade.

I'm using a 450D.

I had the same lens as you, the 75-300 and just upgraded to a 70-200 f/4L (cost of about $1200). I foudn the 75-300 was a actually a good lens to learn with because i got it cheap I wasnt worry about bashing it around a bit and I wasnt too paranoid i was going to break it.

Now the 70-200 is my baby lol. The 70-200 will give you a sharper image. Example, both were taken at a similar position at Mallala (Turn 2) ut under differnt lighting conditions, but you still get the idea.

IMG_6944.jpg

This was taken with the 75-300

IMG_8810.jpg

This was taken with the 70-200

I can see the difference in clarity. Looks alot more detailed too...

Looks like to 70-200 is definatly the way then... lol

Yeah its a good lense, you lose a little bit of reach...but the clarity is worth it. Also, its not really that heavy. I havn't really noticed a differnt in weight between the two lenses.

Good at least it's light, well same weight.

After a few hours holding it, gets a bit annoying.. lol

i recently upgraded from the same 75-300 III to a 70-200 2.8f is.

i researched into sigma and tamron 70-200 2.8f and they can be bought around the $1500mark.

what you could opt for is the 70-200 4f which is around $700 new from HK digitalrev.com

iused the f4 at a lowlight concert and was blown away with it. even at 4f it was enough to capture stage at 1600iso

but yeah. 2nd hand 70-200 non IS is around $1200-1500 depending where you look.

Phill bloom reviewed the tamron and tokina 70-200 and found that he needed to return about 2-3 of them to get one that was perfect. that was my biggest peev.

i researched into sigma and tamron 70-200 2.8f and they can be bought around the $1500mark.

what you could opt for is the 70-200 4f which is around $700 new from HK digitalrev.com

iused the f4 at a lowlight concert and was blown away with it. even at 4f it was enough to capture stage at 1600iso

Phill bloom reviewed the tamron and tokina 70-200 and found that he needed to return about 2-3 of them to get one that was perfect. that was my biggest peev.

Oh yea, might look into the 70-200 4f seems to be a cheaper opition and hopefully the same quality...

Also is Digitalrev.com a good trustworthy site? I'll check it out now..

Cheers

Oh yea, might look into the 70-200 4f seems to be a cheaper opition and hopefully the same quality...

Also is Digitalrev.com a good trustworthy site? I'll check it out now..

Cheers

its a fantastic lens for film also. minimal rolling shutter compared tot he 70-300 which smashed up the film with rolling shutter horribly.

yeah digitalrev is a very trustworthy site. Use their ebay site, as you will save even more than their website. Myself and friends have purchased two 550d bodies, a 70-200 f4, and a 7D from them no problems.

If you do buy from them ask them who their Australian rep is for MAC warranties, and purchase a MAC warranty also , so you will be covered for faulty in Aus. As most AUthorised Canon repairers wont ok grey imports , unless they accept MAC warranty.

Oh ok killa, so make sure i get the MAC warranty and i'll be fine.....

Cheers mate, will be looking for a body too so i might hit them up for that too...

100-400 F4.5-5.6

yeah i know its a little more expensive... but even on my original 20D it was a great lense...

took some fantastic shots...

but VERY heavy...

other than that save up and buy a 70-200 2.8 non IS

or look for one 2nd hand

belive me the difference is amazing... the 70-200 F4 is a fantastic lense, the 2.8 is just awesome...

btw i have used your 75-300, a 100-300, 100-400, 70-200 F2.8 and much much more...

i currently have 10-22 F3.5-4.5, 16-35 F2.8, 24-70 F2.8, 70-200 F2.8, 100-400 F4.5-5.6 85mm F1.8 and a few camera bodies too

trust me its worth waiting for the better glass

better camera will help in time, but the glass will fit every thing you buy

:D

M

belive me the difference is amazing... the 70-200 F4 is a fantastic lense, the 2.8 is just awesome...

Just clarifying what your trying to say here? The 70-200 f/4 is the sharpest of the 70-200's. Unsure now with the MKII 2.8 IS out, but it's always been the sharpest.

This is not just my personal opinion, but millions of other users as well as Canon :)

Not having a dig, but just stating fact :)

The 100-400 isn't that heavy and the benefits of it far outweigh its weight! The only downside is push/pull zooming :(

Im selling my canon 70-200f4IS L if anyone is keen? $1150. perfect condition!!

Just clarifying what your trying to say here? The 70-200 f/4 is the sharpest of the 70-200's. Unsure now with the MKII 2.8 IS out, but it's always been the sharpest.

This is not just my personal opinion, but millions of other users as well as Canon smile.gif

Not having a dig, but just stating fact smile.gif

The 100-400 isn't that heavy and the benefits of it far outweigh its weight! The only downside is push/pull zooming sad.gif

and the fact was stated by a website that tests these lenses...

my statement was that a F4 is a fantastic lense... and the F2.8 is just awesome... where did i say the optics were better / not better...

at 2.8 it will give you better Bokeh, and the ability to hand hold and shoot in poorish light....

the 100-400 isnt heavy to me, most people i hand it to say its heavy!

as for the push pull... once your used to it... its sooo much more accurate and easier to use at speed...

M

Sign in to follow this