Sign in to follow this  
Fire_Child22

Mallala Racing Lines

Continuing on the recent improvements to the motorsport section, i felt it would be a good idea to have a thread dedicated to each track in Australia.

This thread is designed to give new people a starting point to learn the racing lines, and for people to submit videos of them selves out on the track to aid in feedback on racing lines and car set up.

This video is in my opinion, demonstrates a good racing line around Mallala

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zguXUrbvX4&feature=player_embedded

Few things to note about that video.

Firstly its a great video for seeing wheel placement through a lot of the lines, due to the open wheel nature of the car.

Secondly, lots of drivers keep a lot more central through turn 2 as there tends to be marbles kicked up onto the track from Turn 1

Thirdly, if you are driving soon after a drift practice or meet then the entry to the Esses will be extremely greasy on the very outer of the track. Best to stick a bit closer to the center, or its like driving on ice.

Fourthly, he seems to brake quite early into both Northern and Southern.

Fifthly, the clubmans dont seem to be kicked around as much by the dip into Turn 1 and Turn8 out of the Esses.

Thats all i can think of for now.

he seems to be taking it pretty easy, i generally go much more aggressive into turn one, giving me a shallow line on 2, then go out towards the middle of the track mid corner, and finally cut in to clip the final apex and to the outside

i'd like to know how people take on turns 1 & 2... i see many people take turn one like nisskid but think they trade entry speed for exit speed of turn 2.

i thought the line taken in the vid i posted was good for turn 1 and 2.... it would be interesting to see what line produced the better time.

also i agree that the clubman was not going all out due to the cars in front, and different cars may not be able to take the same line...?

i'd like to know how people take on turns 1 & 2... i see many people take turn one like nisskid but think they trade entry speed for exit speed of turn 2.

i thought the line taken in the vid i posted was good for turn 1 and 2.... it would be interesting to see what line produced the better time.

also i agree that the clubman was not going all out due to the cars in front, and different cars may not be able to take the same line...?

i actually think my line is better for exit speed from 2, being wider near the middle, and cutting near the final apex at the end allows u more speed then holding the inside the whole way round. u have to remember 2 is almost more of a double apex rather than a U, so coming out a bit in the middle allows u to attack the "2nd apex" at a better angle.

in car starts at 3:40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23K9DOhr5Cs

u can see the variation from the apex around the middle of 2, then back on the apex the exit. also shows the aggressive line taken into 1, and remember these are the fastest closed wheelers around the track to this day

looking at outside footage of other cars, a lot go even wider midway through 2 as well

looks like a sticky one coming from a high speed entry to slow hairpin onto one of the 4 turns to long straights. i'll take a late apex on that corner though, quick look at it.

Here is another track map with a few of the nicknames of corners on them:

MallalaParkCircuit_Map.jpg

I.e. not many people call turn 3, turn 3, but rather Southern, and then T4 is Northern etc.

is that Kinky & Asses or issit just my eyes? =) ahhaha

they don't call SA "the home of the teenage mum" for nothing :thumbsup:

from the weekend at a modern regularity event.

I changed my line a little bit since my other track outings, intentionally taking turn 2 a lot wider in the middle and cutting back across to use as much of the track and get as high an exit speed as possible. Similarly on turn 3 I was taking the corner a lot wider trying to make the most of the track to get a bigger run up onto the straight, sacrificing corner speed for exit speed again.

Unfortunately the video cut out (ran out of space on the sd card) during my third lap, in which I ran a 1:23.62. My best for the day was a 1:23.49. I dropped 1.3s since my last outing with balding street tyres, shitty Bendix Ultimate front brake pads.. I'm not sure how much of it was having my diff shimmed up to the point where its almost locked (where it was open wheeling badly previously), or how much of it is driving style. More track time and we'll see!

hey mate, a few things i noticed that i personally would try and do.

turn 1 is good, nice and deep, but id be powering as far as possible into the corner, so id have to brake hard for turn 2, seems like there's a bit of a dead spot between turn 1 and 2 where some time could be made up.

turn 3 id be coming in a bit more shallow, i know its a corner that needs to be taken deeper, but i think taking it a bit more shallow and ending up out on the exit apex a lot more could help shed some time.

turn 7 id try and follow it around more, exit more shallow so u can line up for 8 better. the exit of 7 is important as it sets u up for the 2 consecutive corners. through the S's id try and keep the throttle more feathered and smooth, keep as much throttle on as much as u can to keep the line u want rather than backing off and punching it back on.

looks like u could shave some time with some later braking, but it's hard to tell as its a partially wet track.

overall looks pretty good man

Cheers for the comments nisskid. :) I'll add my thoughts in.

turn 1 is good, nice and deep, but id be powering as far as possible into the corner, so id have to brake hard for turn 2, seems like there's a bit of a dead spot between turn 1 and 2 where some time could be made up.

I have had so many spins on turn 1 its not funny, so was probably taking it a bit gingerly in those clips, and due to having virtually no pedal feel I was not on the brakes as hard as I would normally be. In my last session of the day I was powering on a fair bit more out of turn one just before turn 2 and being a bit harder on the brakes, and yielded faster times.

turn 3 id be coming in a bit more shallow, i know its a corner that needs to be taken deeper, but i think taking it a bit more shallow and ending up out on the exit apex a lot more could help shed some time.

Taking it shallow is what I have previously been doing for turn 3, I was intentionally trying to take it a lot wider to get more of a run up onto the straight. Next time I'm out I think I'll change this and see how my lap time changes..

turn 7 id try and follow it around more, exit more shallow so u can line up for 8 better. the exit of 7 is important as it sets u up for the 2 consecutive corners. through the S's id try and keep the throttle more feathered and smooth, keep as much throttle on as much as u can to keep the line u want rather than backing off and punching it back on.

I havnt really tried any proper lines through the S's to be honest, just kind wing it and hope for the best, but I reckon I will give what you say for turn 7 a try.

looks like u could shave some time with some later braking, but it's hard to tell as its a partially wet track.

My braking is usually pretty late and so theres not much time left in that. In that clip my brakes were shit compared to how they usually are with decent pads so it doesnt do it justice. However I generally drive by "feel" rather than actually picking a spot on the track to try and brake at, and as a result some times I'll brake perfectly and others I'll be off by a fraction and pull up a little short.

Again, thanks for the comments anyway. :)