Sign in to follow this  
s15_is_sx

The Android thread

Hopefully someone can help me. I recently got given a Samsung GT P5110 Tablet as its f**ked, and I'm trying to get it working again. From what I've read online to be able to wipe it and start over you need to be able to put the device in "download" mode. However, here lies the issue; I cannot do this as its stuck in a bootloop, which goes over and over until it eventually freezes on the Samsung screen and goes no further. Is there some way around manually putting the device in the download mode (such as with a program or driver etc) so I can enjoy my freebie?

Edited by -Truck-

Do you have access to the battery?

Normally, with a phone that's in boot loop, you remove the battery and on it's first boot try and get into download mode.

On the S1 phones, there was a USB trick that required you to hack up a cable and some resisters.... not sure if that carried over on other models though as I've not yet had to fix that problem.

If you can get to the battery, try entering download mode on it's first boot. If you can't, wait for it to freeze and try again on the first boot.

try adb to get it to boot in to download mode. sometimes if it's in a bootloop, you can just hold the buttons to download mode and it will boot next loop. try this: hold power and voume up, should boot to recovery, then press volume down.

Have tried all button combos to get it to change modes or do a factory reset and it doesn't respond. Just boot loops when on full battery, freezes on the Samsung screen and stays there until the battery is flat. A stupid flaw it having to be put into download manually to fix issues...

Edited by -Truck-

Got a note 2, had it since January, is a very good phone and has a number of things built in to make the size a non issue. fits in my pocket fine, screen is awesome for internet and videos. Also a great conversation starter weirdly.

Got a note 2, had it since January, is a very good phone and has a number of things built in to make the size a non issue. fits in my pocket fine, screen is awesome for internet and videos. Also a great conversation starter weirdly.

i also find it a good conversation starter. Everyone always asks if i hate having a phone so big. I now reply to everyone with, "i have to compensate somehow"

I got my self a nexus 7 (2013), through work , recently. I have to say it is a great device.

Edited by s15_is_sx
  • Upvote 1

Now that note 3 is out, let's see how many people opt in for that. lol. Tbh, it quite silly to have such a big screen on your face like that :woot:

Note3 user here.

I must admit that at first the prospect of using such a big screen was a little daunting. However I primarily choose it as an alternative to carrying a laptop,phone and tablet as opposed to just a laptop and phone for work.

So far I have had it since the weekend,still trying to find useful stuff for it to do, been primarily taking notes and assigning tasks with it which it does very well.

For the first time I can a also see myself using it for mobile gaming as it seems beefy enough so far handling graphics.

I'll report back again in a month when I have pushed it a lot further, but so far I am very happy with it. 😊

Waiting for the new nexus...

Same here. I'm waiting more on the Kitkat as I am still using the overclocked Galaxy Nexus but my contract isn't until next year. Prolly I'll get the next one

Note3 user here.

I must admit that at first the prospect of using such a big screen was a little daunting. However I primarily choose it as an alternative to carrying a laptop,phone and tablet as opposed to just a laptop and phone for work.

So far I have had it since the weekend,still trying to find useful stuff for it to do, been primarily taking notes and assigning tasks with it which it does very well.

For the first time I can a also see myself using it for mobile gaming as it seems beefy enough so far handling graphics.

I'll report back again in a month when I have pushed it a lot further, but so far I am very happy with it.

Sounds like you are a heavy user. I guess if you put it to good use and what it is actually for (a "notepad") then the big screen shouldn't be an issue. You are right in the sense of having it replacing the laptop. If the laptop were just for office/email, the note is perfect for the occasion. How is the battery life doing for you?

Note3 user here.

I'll report back again in a month when I have pushed it a lot further, but so far I am very happy with it. 😊

I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these and am also keen to know how the battery goes? It's a big bugger so I'd expect it to outweigh the big screen usage?

Note 3's battery is 3200mAh. Almost twice the capacity of my galaxy nexus. As to how well the battery performs, I really think it depends on the usage and how many apps you need to be on standby for notifications. Samsung is quite famous for their bloatwares which is why I always root and reflash stock phones with a lighter ROM without the unecessary apps. My nexus can last 2-3 days on standby

Well so far the last few days I have had it. Factoring in that I usually have been fidgeting with it constantly, breaking it in so to speak I have seen 8-10 hours with some puff to spare. But depends on what apps I'm running of course. So gaming during my commute for example expect more drain etc.

But with my old phone I had to have it docked most of the day just to have enough power to make it through the day. This only needs to be docked at night if anything.

One other thing to add. Using a stylus to bang out this text in half the time it takes me too type with two hands with the qwerty keys is a joy.

Edited by HumanHefner

I have doctor's handwriting...lol unfortunately I'm not a doctor...

I was wondering how fast writing using stylus was compare to conventional qwerty :P cool

I like the sound of all of that I guess my mind is made up!

I have doctor's handwriting...lol unfortunately I'm not a doctor...

I was wondering how fast writing using stylus was compare to conventional qwerty :P cool

It made me realise how horrible my handwriting is, kind of made me correct it a little, having said that tho the text recognition is scarily accurate.

alternatively you can stylus swipe over the qwerty (what I do) and get the predictive text, even quicker.

Edited by HumanHefner

Anyone with the vanilla Nexus taken a bite on KitKat yet? (pun intended) :P

I'm still waiting for Cyanogenmod to have there taste before I do anything to mine :naughty:

Edited by Voglia-2012

Everyone I know is still waiting for hte OTA update.

There's a few unofficial CM builds of Kitkat getting around now.

Also there's a one-click installer for CM on the PlayStore now. Didn't work on my S3 though.

I am running kitkat on my nexus 7. The over the air update came this morning. seems faster and smoother.

How's it go? From what I've read, it's mostly under-the-hood changes?

I've noticed that Gapps are putting more and more bloatwares in their newer Androids. Is that the case for Kitkat? I don't like the feeling that the OS package is getting heavier and heavier

I've noticed that Gapps are putting more and more bloatwares in their newer Androids. Is that the case for Kitkat? I don't like the feeling that the OS package is getting heavier and heavier

you can look at it that way, but what's happening is Google is changing the apps from their open source project to Google IP protected apps that other companies can't cash in on. So right now there will be "double up" apps until the OSP closes and the google IP apps overwrite them.

And it's not really bloatware as it's google IP apps that are designed to run with the software so it won't really slow it down. Bloatware is normally from carriers that do a poorly written app that hogs resources... even while just sitting in the background.

you can look at it that way, but what's happening is Google is changing the apps from their open source project to Google IP protected apps that other companies can't cash in on. So right now there will be "double up" apps until the OSP closes and the google IP apps overwrite them.

And it's not really bloatware as it's google IP apps that are designed to run with the software so it won't really slow it down. Bloatware is normally from carriers that do a poorly written app that hogs resources... even while just sitting in the background.

true that. google background services is eating up more RAM in my CM10.1 compare to CM10 (or even CM7 for my previous phone). As you said, though these apps are designed to run with the OS, new API's are integrated with the new OS making them run as services rather than separate apps that can be closed. I have to use DisableServices for some of the functions to free up some RAMs.

I think kitkat is much smoother and it is more responsive. battery life seems great. so far very happy with it.