Sign in to follow this  
A31Cefiro

MMA chat

I don't come in here often but out of interest of all you guys who like watching ufc/mma events, how many of you actually train in any martial arts?

I don't come in here often but out of interest of all you guys who like watching ufc/mma events, how many of you actually train in any martial arts?

After I recover from my leg surgery I'm getting back into it, most likely at Hills Judo Academy in the ACT. They run Judo, BJJ, MMA, grappling, boxing, cross-fit circuits and more. 3 times a week should do me for the time being.

ok so someone does atleast, i had been training 4nights a week here in adelaide at millenia academy for about 10months straight but stopped at the start of footy season so i could play football again but ill get back into it once footballs over. we have 10th planet Bjj (Gi and no Gi) submission wrestling, MMA and muay thai, aswell as womens self protection, kick fit kick boxing and teenagers mma.

Bloody 10th planet BJJ, do they insist on calling the rubber guard 'mission control' like Joe Rogan (assoc with 10th Planet BJJ) does when he commentates UFC?

Nah rubber guard is rubber guard lol

i first started doing kick boxing bout 10 yrs ago then went and done 3 yrs of muay thai as well as doing boxing, havent done much for past two years

but have been looking at going to brazilian top team in adelaide,didnt know there was millenia academy might have to check it out sounds alright.

Bloody 10th planet BJJ, do they insist on calling the rubber guard 'mission control' like Joe Rogan (assoc with 10th Planet BJJ) does when he commentates UFC?

Thats because the rubber guard isn't a move per say, like a front kick. The rubber guard is a series of moves that helps you control your opponent without a Gi. Mission Control being the first position in the rubber guard. That is why Joe always says mission control.

BTW Eddie Bravo invented the rubber guard so 10th planet can call it whatever they want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUDqbU2jwxg

i first started doing kick boxing bout 10 yrs ago then went and done 3 yrs of muay thai as well as doing boxing, havent done much for past two years

but have been looking at going to brazilian top team in adelaide,didnt know there was millenia academy might have to check it out sounds alright.

how do you find muay thai in comparison to kickboxing? what are the major differences and which do you prefer? thanks

I found muay thai a lot better than kickboxing was a lot harder training absolutely buggered at end of training session but that could just be

different instructors.Muay Thai has a few more techniques because you can use more parts of the body ie;elbows,knees and i found they

concerntrate more on defensive moves than kickboxing.Kickboxing was great for flexibility but i would definately choose Muay Thai over

Kickboxing as you can do everything that kickboxing does and more like up close fighting (thai clinch)and is definately more brutal a sport.

ok so someone does atleast, i had been training 4nights a week here in adelaide at millenia academy for about 10months straight but stopped at the start of footy season so i could play football again but ill get back into it once footballs over. we have 10th planet Bjj (Gi and no Gi) submission wrestling, MMA and muay thai, aswell as womens self protection, kick fit kick boxing and teenagers mma.

Hahaha totally didn't see that coming. I also train/trained at millenia. Been slack for about a month or 2 now but I had been training there for a few months.

I found muay thai a lot better than kickboxing was a lot harder training absolutely buggered at end of training session but that could just be

different instructors.Muay Thai has a few more techniques because you can use more parts of the body ie;elbows,knees and i found they

concerntrate more on defensive moves than kickboxing.Kickboxing was great for flexibility but i would definately choose Muay Thai over

Kickboxing as you can do everything that kickboxing does and more like up close fighting (thai clinch)and is definately more brutal a sport.

yes it involves a higher work rate. in kickboxing theres barely any clinching (just underhooks), no elbows and sweeps and takedown throws arent part of it like muay thai. i did 10months of muay thai 4 nights a week and found that the thai clinch was the most exhausting part of the martial art. i could go 3 rounds hard on the pads but after 2 rounds of just grappling i would be rooted.

thanks for the reply's guys

i was thinking of getting into either boxing or muay thai in the near future but just wanted to look at all my options first. Since the rise of mma, muay thai seems to be the new black and i didnt want to potentially overlook kickboxing. I really like the clinch and knee aspects of muay thai, leg kicks not so much though lol

but yeah cheers for your help

theres nothing like a good leg kick to harden u up mate hahah

im doing 10th planet jj in melbourne

been there for a fair few months now and loving it :)

previously did kickboxing with some grappling, but as i got more and more into the grappling i started to fall in love with that side of mma

so i dropped doing kicking boxing and just focusing on JJ :)

Did anybody watch UFC live last night?

Takanori Gomi's knockout of Tyson Griffin was HUGE! Griffin went stiff on his feet, bent at the hips, fell forward & landed on his face.

JON BONES JONESSSSSSS

^ I don't know why but I can't stand the lanky prick, really want to see him get his arse handed to him.

You cant stand him because his this young kid that "hasnt paid his dues" and has just rocked up staunching some of the best :shades:

:lol:

Mez if that were true I wouldn't have liked Vitor Belfort when he first walked into the UFC and knocked three shades of shit out of everybody.

Lol i know was just taking shit!

Silva vs Sonnen this Sunday

Peoples thoughts?

silva's going to be under a lot of pressure to not pull any of the same antics as he did in the maia fight. not to mentioned if he was pissed about maia's disrespect or whatever hes gotta be uber pissed about sonnen's trash talking.

im pretty hyped about the JDS vs nelson fight too

tbh i was more impressed with bones' loss / win over hamill, he completely manhandled hamill and he is a top wrestler

silva's going to be under a lot of pressure to not pull any of the same antics as he did in the maia fight. not to mentioned if he was pissed about maia's disrespect or whatever hes gotta be uber pissed about sonnen's trash talking.

im pretty hyped about the JDS vs nelson fight too

tbh i was more impressed with bones' loss / win over hamill, he completely manhandled hamill and he is a top wrestler

Hamill is also a complete f**king sook, once things don't start going his way he loses his mindset & get overwhelmed.

Dana White has said that win or lose if Silva performs like he has the last few fights he's out of the UFC. I'd like to see him put on a shit performance, retain the title by not engaging much then have it stripped from him & booted from the UFC.

Spoiler alert.

JDS is a machine but Big Country can sure cop a punch. Nelson copped a hammering in the first round that would have knocked out heaps of other guys and he survived it.

The Fitch/Silva fight was a little boring.

Anderson Silva got his handed to him for four and a half rounds. Was on his back for most if not all the fight and Sonnen was raining down strikes and blows. He took him down with ease. Silva hit from the bottom but Sonnen dominstated him for the entire fight. Sonnen relaxed for a moment and found himself in a submission. Hat's off to Sonnen for a great fight and well done to Silva for surviving after getting rocked and then bashed for the entire fight. Rematch would be brilliant.

Good pay per view.

yeah big country can take a punch! lucky i only put a little bit of money on the JDS/neslon fight to not go the distance. it will be interesting to see how jds goes against cain or lesnar.

kudos to sonnen, showed a lot of heart, didnt let up the whole fight. i loved it how he still managed to catch silva a couple of times in the stand up

despite sonnen's shi!t talking i really wanted him to win :'(

sick never knew there was UFC talk on NS.

re UFC 117: im gutted for sonnen, he beat the crap out of Silva for 4.5 rounds and to get submitted in the end. easily the best wrestler in the middleweight division.

putting aside his ridiculous trashtalking, his performance won me over. im a chael sonnen fan now for sure, there alot of talk that he doesnt deserve an immediate rematch, i think it is warranted in this case, there is no point for A silva to fight any other middleweights, he has dominated the division and sonnen is the only guy to test him, he did more than test he practically beat him bar the submission. if only he would conceed that Brazilian JJ is not "gay" and do some training on it, he would be the new middle weight champ!. he took knocked down the so called best striker in the UFC down on his ass 2 times (round 1 and 5). respect to Silva for kneeling down on his knees after the fight to chael, he respected chaels performance and realised that he was the only guy in the UFC to hurt him..

i dont think JDS will have too much of a chance against lesner, he is too one dimensional. Technique wise he is the best boxer in the heavyweight division but his Power does not match that of Shane Carwin. in saying that thumbs up for big country not getting knocked out, he may not look like an elite MMA athlete but he certainly has a good octagon knowledge and is a smart fighter.

Carwin is a beast and im hoping to see him and lesner in the octogan again soon. UFC 116 Carwin V lesner was also gut wrenching. watching him drop those bombs in round one against brock only to see him gass out early in 2 was real dissapointing, not as bad as Chael's loss but. sigghhhh*

onto ufc 118. do any of you guys think BJ will get the belt back? i think he can do it. i reckon he underestimated franky but will be hungry to take the title back as there wasnt anyone who really pushed him in lightweight for a while.

I think BJ will win i think he did underestimate FRANKIE EDGAR but Edgar is a good wrestler that doesnt stop the pace

I hope Edgar wins cause im not a big BJ fan but he is probably the best LW in the world

yeh whoops got some names crossed up. was watching an old ufc while typing that.

onto ufc 118. do any of you guys think BJ will get the belt back? i think he can do it. i reckon he underestimated franky but will be hungry to take the title back as there wasnt anyone who really pushed him in lightweight for a while.

in all honesty BJ shouldnt of lost the belt.

Frankie did NOT beat beat BJ at UFC 112.

incredibly the first judge gave it 50-45 Frankie, that means he believe Edgar won all 5 rounds which was a load of shit.

in saying that BJ did take frankie a bit lightly i think.