Sign in to follow this  
Tacho

WHAT IS AN EGR PIPE? for the exhaust

Hi all,

Another update on my engine troubles. Mechanic says my EGR pipe that connects to by manifold is broken and needs to order one form nissan for 120 bucks and will probably charge more for the labour as well. ANYone know whether thats is true and and price is right?

exhaust gas recirculation.

goes in the dump pipe (underneath) to recycle exhaust gases.

dunno how hard it is to replace yourself, but wouldnt be impossible

How do u know whether u need the pipe or not? And what is its purpose? It gotta do something or else Nissan wouldn't put it in in the first place.

It's there for emmisions and recycles exhaust gasses back into the intake under light loads. Just block off both ends and run without it. Nissan actually ditched them on S15's.

yeah as _omg said you don't need it there, it basically gets exhaust gases from your dump pipe and returns them to the little black box near your air filter and then they are entered back into your intake to be recirculated again. its just emissions control, it will do no harm removing it. just make sure you block all the hoses up tightly!

Thanks for the advice everyone, unfortunately I think the mechanic already ordered the part. At least if i have that problem again i won't be getting it in.

ye man you dont need it...if ur really fussed about getting one then just go to the wreckers and get one for next to nothing.

u'll be stupid to pay $120 for a new one when u dont even need it.