Sign in to follow this  
oohsam

Short Shift Kits

I've seen some short shift kits for about $220 ish. Are these ok. They are pretty easy to install as I've read up b4, never really put one in, is it as easy as they say?

Its only the stick that u put in, is this correct or do I have it all wrong. From my understanding, the gear stick is modified so the throw is acutally the same, but it just feels like less as its bent/moulded differently.

I'd like to get one...any reccomendatoins.

just letting u know that i have heard they can increase the nosie quite a bit, so jsut a warning that if ur not after any extra car noise, it might not be worth it. =)

The pivot point is moved slightly to decrease the throw in combination with a smaller gear stick.

I've seen some short shift kits for about $220 ish. Are these ok. They are pretty easy to install as I've read up b4, never really put one in, is it as easy as they say?

Its only the stick that u put in, is this correct or do I have it all wrong. From my understanding, the gear stick is modified so the throw is acutally the same, but it just feels like less as its bent/moulded differently.

I'd like to get one...any reccomendatoins.

incorrect,the pivot point is shifted higher so the throw is now shorter.

About the increased noise...i've got a short shift kit on my ca18det and its noisy as hell!! does it mean that something is wrong? is there anyway to reduce the noise?? cheers...

I had a short shift and didn't notice any change in noise. Can't think of any way it could possibly increase noise either?

A friend of mine said they put added strain on the gearbox, is this true?

With regards to noise...my shifter shakes and rattles violently under heavy acceleration and boosting...got it checked by a mechanic and he said that its because of the shifter...and that theres nothing i can do about it...

i have a c's short shift kit on mine. real easy to install less the half hr easy. heaps shorter and firmer through and cost me like $240 from homerrules top bloke. no noise either dont know how there would be any difference in noise either.

I have a custom job in my S14 and no noise just closer shifts , beats the hell out of original Tarago style shift....

Same with me.

No noise from the box or anything...just a bit more vibration through the stick.

There isnt all that much difference in the short shift I dont find. Thats from driving my old Silvia and a mates 32 is pretty much the same aswell.

But then again, I brought my gear box with the short shifter...so why am I complaining :P

Han...how loud is the rattle from your shifter...my gearbox came with a short shift kit as well and the sound is getting really irritating...to the point that i might consider getting rid of the short shift kit....

I have a C's one....there are more noise..but not that bad..

I get the noise when I put in 6th driving around >110km

Got a Cs on my car excellent product, smooth gear change, short tight chnge as well. C's makes one of the best short shifters on the market in my opnion and is reasonably priced. I had no noise or watsoever on my car

I bought a short shift kit from Unique Autosports for $280. First of all it didn't fit properly. The spacer that came with the kit was too thick and didn't fit. It had to be machined down to the correct thickness (UAS had no idea about the product they sell so they were no help). Other than that the shift was substantially shorter and generally a much tighter and quicker shift. The only problem I found is that any problems with the gearbox are immediately amplified. For example the box used to jam trying to change from 2nd to 3rd too quickly. The shift kit made it much worse. Also when the gearbox was cold it felt like you were stiring bucket of gravel. Obviously the box wan't in the the best condition but the kit definetly has drawbacks. The other drawback is that you don't get as much feedback that the car is in gear. With a standard shift you can feel the gearstick ease off as it slides into first from neautral. With the shorter shift there is no feedback whatsoever - it just moves forward and thats it - you assume that you are in gear. When I first got it I kept popping out of first because it wasn't in gear properly. Personally I wouldn't get one again. Thats just my experience....

I fitted a Tomei shifter to my SR sil two weeks ago from hommerrules, practically brand new, and i got no increase of noise at all. The reason why i think is there is a bit of extra play between the top nylon cup that is permanantly on the stick that is held down by the bolt on top plate. Before you fit this plate cut a ring of carboard out to match the thin rubber gasket that goes on top of the cup before you put bolt down top plate and it will stop the play and the noise ... i did it becuase it felt like it had too much play but realised after it stopped a possible rattle too.

As for it puting more strain on the gearbox, it does... it adds a fair bit of strain on the synchro's, but then again so does shiftin hard.

c's is a good one, shorter by heaps cause the pivot point is modified, ball joint sits higher giving more leverage. we mod cars up, i don't think noise really matters to car modifiers.

i have a nismo short shifter in my s14, total waste of money, the lengh is negligable so its not short at all, can't feel it, the only real difference i can feel is that the gear stick is more direct when u change gears.

my friend has a tomei one in his gtr, when u put it in gear its so short that it doesn't seem like its in gear. so hard to put it in gear as well. took the car for a spin in wakefield and u really gotta use alot of force to get the damn thing in gear.

never tried b&m sticks yet, they look the part.

c's is the one to get but there not in business anymore i think.

any will be harder to put in gear cause your using a higher amount of force over shorter distance.

SO you cant get the C's one any more >?

u can get c's theres still alot of them floating around still new.

but i don't think shops can get anymore, maybe i'm wrong but this is what i've heard.