Sign in to follow this  
WokStar

Nissan Silvia cracks in dash

I know that its quite common for Silvias dashboards to get cracks but are there any cheap ways to fix them or prevent them from cracking(besides getting them out of the sun)???? :(

1. Replace the dash, which apparently isn't an overly hard job but takes a loong time. Plus you have to find a dash that is cheap that doesn't already have cracks in it and I don't think many people would want to post an item that large.

2. See what your local body shop / pimp my ride store can do. You still won't get the same result as out of factory.

3. Patch it yourself. Although the ones that I have seen done DIY haven't looked that great and just turn a yellowish crack into a black mess of a line.

4. Get a dash mat. You can order them in through Repco for either $61 or $76 (I was getting prices for 2 things, can't remember what was what). They didn't have them in my Repco with the rest of them but they said they can order one in. The ones that they had didn't look like the thin cheap ones on eBay but they were nice, thick, high quality ones that look like they wouldn't stand out too much.

I think that 1 would look the best, but 4 would probably be the easiest and definitely cheaper than 1. I'm getting myself a dash mat in the next week or 2 because I really need to get them cracks covered and I don't think that a dash mat would look bad at all

ok cool thanks for the advice..let me know how the dashmat looks!! Someone should make a fitted fibreglass dash cover

yeh my old 180 had epic dash cracks all over it, got a dash mat off the net and looks mint. searched for ages to find a replacement dash but all the 1s i found for sale had holes in them from guages etc...just go a mat :)

i have cracks in my dash too, got quoted $500 to be re-skinned or i could pay $50 and get a dash mat from autobarn until this day, i never looked back. check out my 13 in my thread and i have pic with dash mat

just out of curiosity has any1 ever had an S14 dash crack??

I bought a mat for my S1 soon as i got it coz was paranoid bout it cracking lol

haha na i havent seen any or heard anything about it, probs coz there newer iguess depends if ur car is straned outside or garaged

If you got the dosh get it retrimmed, if you have time go find a 2nd dash with no cracks in it otherwise go to autobarn/repco and order one from there. there was a website that sold dashmats specifically for s13/180sx's im assuming its the same company that makes the majority of dash mats available at the auto stores but cant remember it atm lols. they did it for about 45-50 bucks + postage and in a variety of colours, custom made order as well.

1. Replace the dash, which apparently isn't an overly hard job but takes a loong time. Plus you have to find a dash that is cheap that doesn't already have cracks in it and I don't think many people would want to post an item that large.

2. See what your local body shop / pimp my ride store can do. You still won't get the same result as out of factory.

3. Patch it yourself. Although the ones that I have seen done DIY haven't looked that great and just turn a yellowish crack into a black mess of a line.

4. Get a dash mat. You can order them in through Repco for either $61 or $76 (I was getting prices for 2 things, can't remember what was what). They didn't have them in my Repco with the rest of them but they said they can order one in. The ones that they had didn't look like the thin cheap ones on eBay but they were nice, thick, high quality ones that look like they wouldn't stand out too much.

I think that 1 would look the best, but 4 would probably be the easiest and definitely cheaper than 1. I'm getting myself a dash mat in the next week or 2 because I really need to get them cracks covered and I don't think that a dash mat would look bad at all

Since when have you been an expert on cars?

Since when have you been an expert on cars?

Uhh... who ever said I was an expert? He asked for advice on dash cracks so I told him what I knew seeing as I have dash cracks and looked into what I can do to fix them... Pretty sure the majority of people on here aren't "experts" but it still doesn't mean that I'm not going to ask and use their advice. Who says that you need to be an expert anyway to offer some advice?

Didn't think that it took an expert to know how to put on a dash mat or go into a car store...

Yeah my dash had massive cracks in it to, but l just bought another dash $100 with no cracks(lucky find l guess) and fitted it myself in my garage, only took about 1 1/2hrs and now looks perfect, its extremly easy.

I think its the best idea even if you have to spend a couple of hundred buying another one.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Edited by JLTS13

All S13 dashs crack all the models from the first to the last 180sx and evan the 240sx that they have in the US. They are all shit and the only way to fix them is to get them recovered. Those dash matts lokk so gay.. like an old mans car and they dont finish off to the end of the dash..look shit.

Get them recovered and thats the end of them.. no more problems.

:thumb:

call around smash repairers mate you may get lucky

Would you like to tell us what you are saying??????

he is saying call around smash repairers and you may get lucky- as in the may be writing of a silvia and may be willing to sell a dash for cheap

what ever happened to your venture in re-trimming dashes trent?

All S13 dashs crack all the models from the first to the last 180sx and evan the 240sx that they have in the US. They are all shit and the only way to fix them is to get them recovered. Those dash matts lokk so gay.. like an old mans car and they dont finish off to the end of the dash..look shit.

Get them recovered and thats the end of them.. no more problems.

thumb.gif

...ok spend $500 to get it recovered, its just going to crack overtime anyway, or spend a louzy $50 and get a matt, myt look liek a grandpa's car but its worth it in the long run,

bloody hell i wouldnt recomend a dildo shifter to you..

I wouldn't get a mat for the pure reason that it looks cheap. If you see a car with a mat you generally assume there is something wrong with the dash anyway, I'd much rather spend the extra and get it re-trimmed, all you need to do to stop it from cracking therefore after is to go and buy a sun visor. Easy

is there a decent product that rejuvenates and protects the dash material in the 180sx? got no cracks at the moment and want to keep it that way.

is there a decent product that rejuvenates and protects the dash material in the 180sx? got no cracks at the moment and want to keep it that way.

Look at this product list mate has plenty of products and are all well priced.

http://waxit.com.au/products.asp?cat=9

I personally suggest the 303 Aerospace Protectant because it has SPF 40+ :D

when it cracks and that dirty yellow orange shit is visible, just put a sticker over it, or colour the yellow padding stuff in with a black marker

he is saying call around smash repairers and you may get lucky- as in the may be writing of a silvia and may be willing to sell a dash for cheap

lol... someones unfamiliar with sarcasm <_>

lol i had a uncracked dash and put a cover on to protect it, it ended up cracking because i kept punching (the mat kept slipping off cus the tape would melt). imo the mats arnt to bad, i have a spare uncracked dash but dont see the point of bothering to change it because it will eventually crack and i will be back to the start again.

My dash wasn't cracked until i cleaned it with armorall, then one afternoon 3 cracks just appeared. I don't like how dashmats look but I suppose its a temporary fix or a really large sticker :yes: