Sign in to follow this  
namsdrawkcaB

General chit chat thread!

haha.. I don't think I will be getting one any time soon. I'm not sure if I could live with it as a daily commuter (super uncomfortable).

To be honest I have been slightly bitten by the cruiser bug, I have been riding the fiance's Dads second bike a Honda Shadow Ace 750 around the last couple of weeks to give it a bit of a run as it hasn't been used in 2 years.

Apart from the hugely wide handle bars, its surprisingly pleasant in traffic and I love the torque curve. So I am considering the Triumph Speedmaster (would love the Thunderbird Storm but can't justify spending 20k+ on a bike)

Triumph_Speedmaster_2010_01_1600x1200.jpg

Get one second hand? Or a second hand Victory Hammer 8ball

*Watching Sons of Anarchy for the first time so also on cruiser bandwagon

Yeah looking at second hand, should be able to pick something up for around 9-10k. Went in with the fiance on Saturday to have a look at tem and I have a test ride booked today. Apparently the dealer is getting a black and white version traded in soon which I quite like the look of..

As for Victory I'm a big fan of the Judge (except for the quirky seat/tank/side plate detail) but again they are still high teens for second hand. I do love the V-Twin engine detail on them - not sure how the Victories handle or if they are much the same as Harley's? The thing I like about the Triumph is that the bike is based on the Bonneville/Thruxton chassis and engine.

I ended up uplling the pin on a Speedmaster yesterday coming from a 50 year old english guy. So very early next week I will be transporting the new ride down to Adelaide from Brisbane.

2007 Triumph Speedmaster

Inline twin 865cc (carby)

Gloss black

11,000kms

Slash cut TOR 'shorty' exhausts

K&N 'freak' intake kit with re-jetted carbs

Zodiac indicators

ISO grips

Custom Guzzler touring seat.

It will be coming freshly serviced from Team Moto Triumph, with a new front tyre and brake pads. He is throwing in the bike lift, stock pipes/indicators and logbooks/workshop manual also. Cannot wait!

Future plans are a solo seat with removable pillion pad/sissy rack (for the fiancé) black mirrors and possibly ceramic coated black exhaust.

332730efb0567270ad4c1ca16b3b1974_zps29dd8b2e.jpg

ea9eb1b487ff342f5bc0889727208d32_zpsd5ce502e.jpg

fb7b27608a2c3915931e6a3933fbfe3b_zps48135e3c.jpg

e0b3dac5a0f732f51462a220ed403ab8_zpscf473c3f.jpg

Yeah I had a Skype with the owner this morning and he showed me around the bike, it's pretty much flawless. He's a triumph guy through and through and definitely has cared for the bike.

Sounds like the old bloke i got the VTR from... only down side is i am way to over protective of the bike now, wont even ride it in the rain because it will never be as clean as it is now. :lol:

Haha.. I'd love to not ride in the rain.. But as of a few weeks ago we are down to one car and the bike.. I could always get dropped into work by the missus on her way in but where's the fun in that.

Anyone done the provisional learner test recently and got any tips?

I think my biggest problem is doing the double U turn inside the small box/area. When I was learning they said that's the most common thing people fail and they let us practice, its just tough turning the bike so tight. The bike im practicing on atm is a 250 ninja gpx but its a deceptively big bike.

Im 6 foot 5 so went the off road bike for my learners which they recommended but I am thinking maybe go the small road bikes for better maneuverability for my p's?

Do they give you much practice beforehand or do you get thrown into it. Also are the straight line and stopping tests mark hard? because they seem too easy on paper.

I know im over thinking it but just dont want to waste my time/money.

cheers

Did mine in November and it's easy. You sound like me before hand stressing out over nothing. :lol: You don't really get to "practice" the course but they do different types of riding drills that incorporate what you need to do the test. I managed to get a scorpio, painfully slow compared to my VTR 250 but turning circle was awesome. Depending where you live you can still get on the old training course at Oaklands Park and practice on the actual tests.

Go with the Yammy scorpio's they have at the testing facilities, easiest bike to manoeuvre. For the double u-turn ride the clutch, use the rear brake to control your speed (don't touch the front) and you will find that with a tight turn like that you will end up leaning the opposite way to what you are turning.. Keep your pace slow and you should have any problems.

The other area I saw people struggle with was the straight line slow speed, again it's similar principle ride clutch/rear brake. It's one is easy to practise on the road in normal riding conditions, ie when you are approaching traffic lights that are red.

Basically most of the tests are all about good brake and clutch control, if you have these you should be fine.

cheers guys

Yeah I heard about the oakland parks being open. So I checked the Modbury training facility which i live 5mins from but was locked up (so assumed the Oaklands one was closed too). I might go down there for some practice just to sure. I have been practicing in car parks at the moment but will be good to learn on the proper dimensions. Thats what i was sort of worrying about, I think im turning really tight now but without the right test dimensions who knows.

Yeah im probably stressing out over nothing lmao its just i didnt ride as a kid so dont have that inbuilt subconscious skill a lot of people do. My bro is a bit reluctant too, he got into it first and brought all the stuff including the bike (which he kindly lets me use) and now reckons he wont even sit his P's because he doesn't think he has the skill level... smh

I've been practicing almost every night so hopefully will pass the test which will inturn perhaps give him some motivation to give it a go.

Edited by stupidlikeafox

Oaklands looks close from the road... there is temp fencing around the building, but go up the driveway and past the gate then just ride over the dirt mount, down the gutter and your in.

I went down to the range to have a practice in October with a mate who had been riding/racing for ages and said i was ready to go for it... tbh i had no intentions of doing it till the middle of this year. Glad i did because i only have to wait till November now for a big boys bike. :lol:

this waiting game is shit.. damn QLD for having more bikes for sale then SA.

Bike is now crated up at Team Moto awaiting pickup tomorrow by the transport company... the countdown begins.

Coming in late to this - well done re triumph; very comfortable and reliable bikes.

Looks great as is, don't go too 'blackout' crazy or the thing will lose its charm.

I have actually reconsidered the whole black thing.. and saw a photo on the Triumph RAT forums the other day.. this is a 2010 model so different front forks to mine.

The exhausts will stay polished and I will just powdercoat the center console (more to reduce glare), headlight cone, and speedo. And get some black mirrors and levers.

699164blackspeedy046.jpg

The bike finally arrived over the weekend and I picked it up yesterday! On the downside I didn't realise that they had crated it in a manufacturer delivery crate and the front wheel, mudguard and handle bars were all of. Spent from 8-10pm last night putting it together and here is the finished result:

photo.JPG

Either way, its great to ride and looks literally brand new for a 5 year old bike.

Looks awesome.. does it have exhaust on it? video clip if so!!

Yeah it has the Triumph off-road (TORS) short slash cut pipes on it plus the intake mods. It's not overly loud on idle/cruising but has a nice bark on WOT throttle. Having said that I'll probably hole-saw out the restrictor plate out on the back end to up the volume a bit. I have stock pipes if it ever gets defected.

Will throw up a video of start-up tomorrow morning on the way to work.

Sounds pretty sweet on idle.. would make some nose once opened up!

^ that looks bad ass!

Had a very lucky escape on the weekend; rear tyre blowout @ 110+ on a mild corner. First time I have ever had a tyre let go and it wasn't fun; back tried to highside immediately, managed to pull it back in line and feather the brakes until it had slowed up enough to run onto the grass. It took a good 100m of squirming and sliding rear before I pulled it to a stop, heart pounding and sweating it like a Mexican!

Puncture was a good 1cm in diameter, straight through. I have no idea what did it but it 'blew out' rather than slowly going flat.

Was on a big ride (to the top of putty road in NSW) so about 3 hours from Sydney; ended up sitting on the side of the road for 4 hours waiting for a friend with a trailer and ramps to pick me up! The only local business that could tow me on a Sunday wanted $500 for a 20 minute tow to the nearest town...

Fun fun fun!

The forums have been pretty dead lately.

That would be a pretty shit feeling on bitumen. I had it happen to me when I was racing an enduro event on a dirt bike. Speed wasn't that high, maybe 60-70km but there was no bringing the bike back, and went for a nice slide.

Have put a set of mufflers on order from JC Whitney in the USA they are Emgo 19" cocktail shakers. These will mate with the factory headers (1-3/4") and should add a decent amount of sound. Virtually straight through with a removable/repackable baffle. I will then replace the carb springs, change the needles and go up to 130 main jets (from a 125) and throw it on a dyno for a power run to see how the A/F's are (don't care to much about the power increase).'

I was also considering the short slashcut which is what I have on the bike at the moment, but a 19" version, however I thought the cocktail shaker suited the Triumph style a bit better.

detail_794_cocktail-shaker-mufflers-exhaust-bobber-photo-1.jpg

detail_794_cocktail-shaker-mufflers-exhaust-bobber-photo-3.jpg

Who's been riding recently? New bikes? new goodies ? My battery shit it self, tried charging it, started once that was it hahahaha

MotoGP weekend!!! BUMP!

Get off my R-date in a month.... anyone want to buy a VTR250? perfect L's bike for one of your mates getting there licence! Then i can upgrade!

Who's been riding recently? New bikes? new goodies ? My battery shit it self, tried charging it, started once that was it hahahaha

Riding plenty but the bayliss experience was so much fun & what a guy.

BUMP!

Today i am fully licenced!!!!! :D

The hunt for a real bike begins.... also have my VTR 250 for sale if anyone needs a LAMS bike!