Sign in to follow this  
JDM 20T

To Cut or Not to Cut ::: Stock FRONT BAR

93 members have voted

1. 1. Should i cut my front bar tomrrow

• YES
    • NO

^ Dude it doesn't look that bad, I think you should of left your lip man.

i voted.. then noticed the date.. :/

Haha I wouldn't cut it in 2009 but who knows nowadays.

Cheers

andii

Is there a thread re cutting middle section of S15 stock front bar?

I know what it looks like, that's where I got the idea. But I was looking for some insight - such as methods of strengthening etc.

BTW, that also has a lip that's supporting it. I'm not doing a lip.

Oh and the plats section has been modded too, not doing that.

Edited by Suspop

The guys saying cut it obviously don't understand the principle of an air dam. If your cut it for aesthetic reason then go for it (but IMO it looks like Ass) but cutting it for airflow will be counter productive.

Is there a thread re cutting middle section of S15 stock front bar?

I tried to look for a thread regarding this as well. Couldn't find anything. I recently got dynoed and my tuner suggested that the middle portion of the stock bar (and around the edges) interrupts flow to the cooler making it very hot in the places where the air flow is being restricted (or something like that) making it restrictive. So if you're after big dyno numbers 300rwkw + (or even 200rwkw +) the stock s15 bar needs to be cut as it helps air flow so you can pull those bigger dyno numbers. Realistically you're talking about 10-15 extra rwkw due to the extra flow. That's the difference it makes on the dyno and even more so when you want to pull BIG dyno numbers 350kw +. Cutting is a MUST.

He said you can cut it very neatly with a sharp stanley knife if you mark it all out as its only plastic. He showed me another s15 (in his workshop) which was putting out 450rwkw with a stock bar but the middle fin part was cut out and probably about 1-2 inches all around the edges. It was done with a stanley knife and it looked neat and professional.

Or if you don't fancy that you can use a dremel (which would be quicker and less effort).

Anyway I'm definitely going to do it to mine before my next dyno run with cams.

I'm cutting it because my front bar is stuffed, and I might as well.

I don't think you'll gain anything, even high power levels.

I think you tuner is pulling you leg you'll get 10-15rwkw.

In terms of cutting, I just wanted some pics of eg's of where people have cut it, and how they supported it.

I'm cutting it because my front bar is stuffed, and I might as well.

I don't think you'll gain anything, even high power levels.

I think you tuner is pulling you leg you'll get 10-15rwkw.

In terms of cutting, I just wanted some pics of eg's of where people have cut it, and how they supported it.

Will be cutting mine soon. So I'll hopefully post some pics up. I can't verify how much more power it will give you, but it DOES make a difference to your peak power when you're on the dyno. It might only be 2-3rwkw but its all about flow. The more flow you have the more peak power you get and even the smallest of restrictions DOES make a difference.

I'm going to cut mine because I'm eventually going for a 350rwkw monster with a built engine (once I blow my stocky up). So I'm just getting things prepared. If I wasn't planning on going that big I wouldn't even think about cutting mine.

How is your front bar stuffed?

Edited by s15rocket

Your tuner is wrong (by stating 10>15kw) and doesn't understand heat soak which is the principle that intercoolers are designed around.

You will lose more than you gain from cutting the bar by allowing air to go around it rather than go through it.

Your tuner is wrong (by stating 10&--#62;15kw) and doesn't understand heat soak which is the principle that intercoolers are designed around.

You will lose more than you gain from cutting the bar by allowing air to go around it rather than go through it.

My tuner never said that. I did. But how the hell is cutting your front bar exposing more of your IC going to make the air go around it more rather than through it? That seems like a ridiculous statement to me. That's why you see some drifters not even bothering to put their front bars on and just having a full exposed fmic. It helps with flow and to keep everything cool so you can be hitting max power. Anything mounted in front of the IC is a potential restriction on air flow. Its common sense.

Edited by s15rocket

S15 loks good. S14 looks pox with the bar cut. Its just too leb spec. If you do it you will need to get some 20" Vault Crystals, neons, and and a picture of some naked chick on your bonnet.

Keep the factory front bar and get a high spec lip. Cant beat that combo.

basicaly the hole in the bar is designed to channel air onto the radiator, or in the case IC as you went and put a fmic there, if you muck around with the size or the shape of the hole you effect the way the air flows around it, keep in mind the sort of testing a factory does before selling a car to ensure it all works fine, im pretty sure if they thought there would be a huge gain in air flow by removing the middle section they would as it would make the radiator more effective.

also alot of drifters dont run front bars because they *smashed it and cbf replacing it *weight reduction

Edited by scott black

Your tuner is wrong (by stating 10&--#62;15kw) and doesn't understand heat soak which is the principle that intercoolers are designed around.

My tuner never said that. I did. But how the hell is cutting your front bar exposing more of your IC going to make the air go around it more rather than through it? That seems like a ridiculous statement to me. That's why you see some drifters not even bothering to put their front bars on and just having a full exposed fmic. It helps with flow and to keep everything cool so you can be hitting max power. Anything mounted in front of the IC is a potential restriction on air flow. Its common sense.

Hmmm D Stirls is one of the few very knowlegable and helpful people on here, that is all.