Sign in to follow this  
elgrand

Boxing or Kick boxing gym in SA

Hi guys, if anyone knows of any Boxing & Kick gyms in adelaide metro area for a good price ?

Which metro area, north south east or west? there are quite a few round the place

Which metro area, north south east or west? there are quite a few round the place

what he said

it depends where you want to train, there are good gyms in all directions. Although i cant think of many to the east actually... i'm sure there would be something though.

BTW you looking for boxing or kickboxing, cuz there is a pretty big difference.

The place i mentioned above is $11 for casual visit, membership is $50 a year. Once you're a member its only $8 a session or if you are going to train 3 or more times a week its just $20 for the week.

The training and knowledge you get here is second to none

dont forget Kyall, he'll get jealous :P

^ trained there for 6 years. still pop in occasionally (i box these days). Definitely recommended. Sam and all the guys in there are top blokes.

Boxing - Footwork and punches with badwork and sparring and intense cardio.

Kickboxing - Punches, kicks, knees, elbows, padwork, sparring, footwork, technique more essential, more protecting gear, intense cardio, routines, gradings for higher ranks, and more especially if it's Muay Thai.

I have tried a few places but I'm going to checkout the Muay Thai at Flinders Uni after summer breaks.

you have to find something thats a good fit i guess. I tried a couple different boxing gyms before i ended up at the one i'm at now, i'm happier with the training i'm recieving at this place. IMO you're limiting yourself if you only ever go to the first place you walk in to.

ruff_ryda - there's a lot more to boxing than that. people under rate boxing, but it's f**king brilliant. It's not called a science for nothing. IMO, it's a more technical art than MT. Even if MT is your thing - if you're serious about it - you should spend some time boxing to supplement those skills.

also there is only grading in MT if you train under the BJC system. They have singlets instead of belts.

and BJC isnt really Muay Thai, so you can't really compare. It may have been somehow derived from Muay Thai, but its not real Muay Thai

i would have to disagree that boxing is more technical than Muay Thai. If you train Muay Thai the proper way, real Muay Thai, there is much more to it then you will see in most gyms

I do boxing at Fitness33 in the city on Byron St. Good atmosphere n I enjoy it.

i'm aware of that, dont get me wrong, muay thai is very technical - all martial arts are. But you watch a pro muay thai fight and then watch a pro boxing fight and you'll see what i mean. I cant really explain what i mean, i've tried a few times and i just cant put it in words. Its something i believe from experience, and observation. I dont expect people to agree, i wouldn't have agreed a couple years back either!

yea i see where you're coming from, i guess in boxing you dont have as many weapons so you have to be good at using the only weapon you have.

^ thats pretty much what i tried and failed and then gave up trying to say haha.

you only get the left and the right hand, you cant just kick a guy in the legs or guard until he cant walk or hold his hands up. Which is a strategy in itself of course, but what i mean is - you've got to outsmart the guy a lot more to beat him. And since theres a limited set of weapons, those weapons have to be intricate. For example, of the top of my head - i can think of 8 different types of jab, probably more. There are a multitude of different ways of defending / evading / countering said jabs - all of which can be exploited if the guy throwing the punch has picked up on your habbits and knows what you are going to do - and feints the jab so he can catch you while you do whatever it is you were going to do when it came. lol.

however, all that being said - the only reason i started boxing is because my back is shagged and i cant kick any more. I f**kin love Muay Thai and it's a much more complete martial art overall. But i love boxing just as much, now that i realise how much there is to it.

the travelling overseas for 'different' training in my experience has been to go to Thailand to train in a different climate

I said i dont get why people jump from club to club here, you dont learn anything that way

its not just the climate, people go to thailand to train HARD and get experience direct from the source - at camps you train all day, and with very experienced trainers. Remember its pretty much their national sport. There's a depth of knowledge over there that doesn't exist here.

i'm not sure why you think it's a bad thing at all. all the best fighters in this country and all the others have cross trained with different coaches and gyms at some point.

There is a depth of knowledge that exists here. Depth of knowledge is not only about technique and fighting, but also about the traditions and customs of Muay Thai. Ask anyone here why a Muay Thai fighter enters the ring over the ropes and not through the ropes? i doubt that they will know why. Or what it really means to wear the Mongkon. Its not something that you just buy from the shop and throw over your head.

There are a lot of camps in Thailand that will not teach you proper techinque, yea you can kick or whatever, but they'll just make you smash out 10 kicks in a row or train hard til you collapse. Its intense fitness training but as far as technique goes, not many camps will teach foreigners the proper techniques of Muay Thai.

To learn proper technique you need to learn from a proper Ajarn (master), and he has to accept you as his student. A proper master will know Boran which is where Muay Thai grew from to the ring sport it is today. Proper Ajarns in Thailand run proper traditional gyms. Guys like Ajarn Yodtong Senan from Sityodtong Gym.

meanwhile the guy who started the thread has vanished... i'm sure this thread has been very helpful. No doubt he's banging on the door of a thai monastery right now to be trained by blind kung fu muay boran monks.

alan at flinders uni or vince on grange rd.....heard good stuff for both places

meanwhile the guy who started the thread has vanished... i'm sure this thread has been very helpful. No doubt he's banging on the door of a thai monastery right now to be trained by blind kung fu muay boran monks.

Thank you for all the helpfull info and sorry no on-line last a few days.......

currently in Japan and testing new Nissan Elgrand etc.....

I done kickboxing for 4 years and now switch to Boxing just for my fitness reason (getting old......)

maybe try one in the city !

Cheers :rolleyes:

I do boxing at Fitness33 in the city on Byron St. Good atmosphere n I enjoy it.

IPEAKIN - what prices at Fitness33 ?

Thank you.

Thank you for all the helpfull info and sorry no on-line last a few days.......

currently in Japan and testing new Nissan Elgrand etc.....

I done kickboxing for 4 years and now switch to Boxing just for my fitness reason (getting old......)

maybe try one in the city !

Cheers :rolleyes:

theres boxing at the aboriginal sobriety group too, 182-190 Wakefield St.

kickboxing / mma at ABS - next to where stormies used to be

they do muay thai at GM Leongs wing chun place on hindley

and Nino Pilla has a joint at 118 king william street with muay thai and a bunch of other stuff.

close to the city you've got

sportsmans gym @ richmond on marion road (boxing)

TJ Smiths in brompton (boxing)

Fight Club - henley beach rd. before marion rd (muay thai)

GM Vince Palumbo's place on grange rd. (boxing, kickboxing, plus others)

thats all i can think of right now in the immediate vicinity of the CBD

you have to find something thats a good fit i guess. I tried a couple different boxing gyms before i ended up at the one i'm at now, i'm happier with the training i'm recieving at this place. IMO you're limiting yourself if you only ever go to the first place you walk in to.

ruff_ryda - there's a lot more to boxing than that. people under rate boxing, but it's f**king brilliant. It's not called a science for nothing. IMO, it's a more technical art than MT. Even if MT is your thing - if you're serious about it - you should spend some time boxing to supplement those skills.

also there is only grading in MT if you train under the BJC system. They have singlets instead of belts.

Yes, but I also agree with only have those weapons you have being your fists I personally would feel limited to what I could really do. For some it may be the best thing for them (for example a shagged back would do it lol) so you take advantage with what you can. If boxing is your thing then go for it. I love watching a good box and how they open the other person up!

the travelling overseas for 'different' training in my experience has been to go to Thailand to train in a different climate

I said i dont get why people jump from club to club here, you dont learn anything that way

Well the reason for my jumping clubs is because the one I was at didn't have the main instructor there 1/2 the time and I learnt the most from him when he was taking the classes. I think I'll go with a club who has a bit more committment to his classes. If I find one I like I'll def stick with it.