Sign in to follow this  
Bennybear

Guitar stuff

I'm changing professions shortly, have landed a fantastic role and want to buy a new guitar to celebrate!

I want a single cut (LP) shape but not necessarily a Gibson. I have a love hate relationship with the brand and would have to find 'the one' to be happy; would consider a nice R8/9

Alternatives are the PRS SC245 - I had one of these going back about 2 years; brilliant guitar and tone to die for. My only gripe was the wide-thin neck carve; I have slightly smaller than 'regular' sized hands so chords could sometimes be a bit of a stretch.

The new kid on the block is the PRS SC58 - this is supposedly Paul's tribute to the Les Paul and is a no expense spared affair. Reviews have been ultra positive, some liken it to the tone of a 58'/59' PAF Les Paul but with rock solid build quality. This has the new 'pattern' neck carve which is essentially the traditional PRS wide-thin but with more of a rounded profile.

There are a ton of other options i.e. ESP Eclipse, Heritage H150 etc but my initial gut feel is to go with one of the above three options.

Now comes the interesting part; I plan on buying from the states and shipping to Oz... I have no problem doing this for a PRS as they are super consistent but with a Gibson, this road is fraught with danger :lol:

This brings me to buying locally and paying anywhere up to 200% more to a local store/seller :(

Few pics below; if anyone has experience with the SC58 I'd love to hear your thoughts

Seriously....you want a Les Paul? Get a gibson. How many reissues have you played? Sure they vary a bit, but they are honestly the most amazing guitar. go into a shop and Haggle(better yet, come to SA and see our stash :P )...you'd be surprised how cheap you can get them and theres no way I'd buy something like that without playing it first, even if it is a PRS. By the way, as much as I find PRS to be consistant, they are mostly unexciting. A bit like a high end Ibanez, impressive in a lot of ways, but all the personality of a sponge

How much would you be happy to pay for a GOOD 58/59 reissue?

I don't disagree; PRS can lack character on about the same scale Gibson can lack build quality - there are frequent exceptions to the rule for both. From a personal viewpoint, Gibson hasn't done much over the last 20 years to justify the extortionate prices they ask. I am of the opinion that the LP of today doesn't hold a candle to those of 20+ years ago. That said, I have played a few nice reissues (only R7/8s, I haven't played an R9) thus the reason I am open to the idea; actually I am very positive toward the idea of finding a good LP - I just haven't found it yet.

If I found something I was genuinely happy with I don't know how much I would pay. I travel to SA frequently so if you know of somewhere with a few good examples then let me know and I will drop in. For now, I am floating through places like Gallins in Melbourne, Jacksons here in Sydney and browsing online.

I don't have a time frame, when it happens it happens.

If you are in SA at any stage, come to Derringers where I work...we usually have a fair few reissues in stock that you can check out

I have no idea what you're on about regarding build quality :unsure: I do agree that a LP standard that is any good is a bit of a hit and miss afair, but the stuff coming out of the custom shop (and even the regular stuff) for the last 12 years or so that I've been there is leagues ahead of the majority of 70's/80's gibsons. Build quality isn't all about a pretty finish though :thumbsup: ...but if that is more important to you then yes PRS have this in spades

To me the biggest case that Gibson vs PRS has is a bit like the Martin vs Taylor debate...the traditional brand just matures better and will always be a better guitar 10 years down the track than it was when you bought it. My 2002 '58 authentic is a great example of this

I'll take you up on this; next time I'm in SA I'll drop by. Is this the store near the rail way line? Is an old favorite.

I am still trying to track down one of my old telecasters; seem to have hit a dead end... I got as far as 2 buyers on from the music store I hocked it to, now the most recent contact I have won't answer any emails :(

Change of plans! I'm going to try and build an LP from scratch with the help of a friend who dabbles in these things. Have blueprints/schematics from a legendary canadian luthier and have already purchased the mahogany + maple blanks!

I'll update regularly with the progress; rough estimation sees this completed around Christmas...!

May still pick up another axe in-between now and then but i am pretty excited about the build!

Hey guitar phags I figured you'd be able to help me. Right after I called you phags. Ha.

What do you think of these for an electric drum kit in a small bedroom? Refer to thump th-15a

http://www.mackie.com/products/thump/

The plan is to have a guitarist jamming with me but I guess with an electric kit volume never needs to be loud. Might be cool if we can both run through the same speakers so he/she doesn't have to bring an amp around too.

overkill?

Wasn't really keen on spending that much, just looking for an opinion, cheaper solutions yadda yadda

As a guitarist I'd be a bit funny about sharing a speaker with my drummer :lol:

If its for bedroom jamming I would say grab one of these babies: http://www.jamhub.com/ and buy a wicked set of cans (check out Denon AH-D2000's - as a drummer you will fall in love) . This way your guitarist just has to buy a good set of headphones = 24hr band rehersal madness.

Spend change on beer; nobody became a rockstar whilst sober.

That would work awesome, but also check out the RCF art15a. They are much nicer sounding...not sure of the price difference though. You should have plenty of grunt though, either way. My only concern would be that with one it'll be mono. Maybe look at a smaller, cheaper pair? Like a set of Behringer truth monitors and sub and small desk. More shit to set up but worth it I reckon. I have the Behringer sub at home for my home theatre and it works great and is plenty loud

We sell the Roland PM10 and Ashton units here if thats the sort of price/unit your looking for. Be careful with some of the no-name brands man, you might be dissapointed.

Seriously though, a pair of cheap powered monitors and a sub will yeild far superior results...or find out what the gun 2.1 setups are for PC and get the best one you can find for that kinda dough.

If those are getting good reviews though, it's a start. Just try and get hold of one to listen to yourself first

Edited by MILK-13

Forgot I had posted in this thread! Good times...

Anyway, still got the Peavey Classic 30 amp. Love it. Tube amp, made in the USA. Quality.

As for guitars, I have the following:

Fender Stratocaster 'Fat Strat' - Made in USA. 2004 (50th Anniversary). Silver with black pickguard, stock.

Fender Telecaster - Made in USA. 2011 (60th Anniversary). Ash body with black pickguard, stock. Looks like this:

I went to a new shop yesterday as I needed to get the setup on my Strat checked out. Long story short, they had a mad deal on the aforementioned Tele and after 30 seconds of playing I was absolutely sold. The sound is insane. Now doing my best Springsteen impressions!

If anyone is keen on the Strat it is for sale - at the right price, of course! Just send a PM through.

I find most Tele's hard to walk past - it is my 'stranded on an island' guitar :)

What brand / model should I be looking at for a electric acoustic guitar

Prefer a new one and local

We sell LAG, cort, fender etc..all make good cheap ac/electrics. Come see me at Derringers if you want a deal

Dre

^ I've never owned/played a Cort so couldn't comment - depending on budget you might be better off looking around for a second hand semi-acoustic from one of the brand name makers

Are you looking to play via amplification or are you just considering it from a 'best of both worlds' perspective?

Les Paul build is starting to take shape!

http://www.mylespaul...am-i-crazy.html

I've never heard of Lukather before but very keen to see Vai and Satriani.

I'm tossing up if I get the meet and greet tickets or not. It's a lot of money but would be awesome.

Lukather was ToTo's axe man :)

Don't spend the money on the M&G tickets; they are both space cadets :lol:

Lukather was ToTo's axe man :)

Don't spend the money on the M&G tickets; they are both space cadets :lol:

all the great guitarist are :lol:

saw g3 a few years ago, petruci was playing with them, was AWSUM!!!

Bought two gold tickets today. Few of the ticket sites had completely sold out. Luckily Bass still had a few left for Adelaide.

Great thread, I'm into fingerstyle acoustic stuff myself. I recently bought a Seagull S6, and it's a really nice sounding guitar that plays nice and easy.

Some videos of stuff similar to what I aspire to play:

My mate wants a new amp since his ashton (which he likes) has died in the ass. What do you guys think of this?

http://www.laney.co.uk/show_prod.php?prod=irt60-212&fb_source=message

If I had to sum up my mates playing, I'd say he's most like Jeff Buckley, plays in the mid sort of register, usually clean picky stuff. I think Adam Jones is probably his biggest inspiration though, at least for his sound...

Tough sound to replicate! You can look up his exact rig and try to replicate from there, oddly enough a key element to his sound (has always used it) is an old Marshall superbass plexi! Believe h runs Diezel VH4s also and a smattering of post and pre effects, notably a DOD distortion pedal and Line 6 delay (one of the big ugly green ones).

Laney is a great manufacturer; Opeth used them almost exclusively for a very long time (right up to Watershed I think). I used an old 3ch 100w laney head when I was still gigging and it cranked out a great tone. As a cost comparison, tell him to check out Blackstar Amplification (HT series if on budget, Series One if cashed up) and Jet City (designed by Mike Soldano, enough said).

Any of the above will be a large improvement over the Ashton (unless it was some kind of freaky modified thing); there are a ton of options, he just needs to be a little patient and not bashful when it comes to testing them in store. Tube amps sound remarkably different at volume than they do at bedroom levels so it is always worth going at a time when you can crank it and get those tubes cooking!

Happy shopping!

Edited by Bennybear