Sign in to follow this  
Nigel

The modified/ aftermarket knuckle thread

eeek - keep a spare set of tie rod ends... i 'modified' my lca stoppers enough so that the knuckle on stopper was the deciding factor of steering lock bottoming out rather than rack / tie rod ends onto the lca.

tested yet though? any binding?

eeek - keep a spare set of tie rod ends... i 'modified' my lca stoppers enough so that the knuckle on stopper was the deciding factor of steering lock bottoming out rather than rack / tie rod ends onto the lca.

tested yet though? any binding?

weel see man havent had my car out yet this year and yeah i know it will smash the tie rod ends but i want the mas ammounts of lock with nothing stopping it. oh and i wont have any hyper extending issues as ive moved my rack foward 30mm on the x member so the knuckles dont straighten with the rack.

Just hoping ive got the rack straight or it could be a bit iffy lol

steering_004.jpg

steering_44446.jpg

nice thinking on the binding thing... as discussed earlier probably would get even more lock with ikeya LCA's :)

Ahh...i love having a toyota sometimes...it was simple as to achieve what i wanted :D

DSC00602.jpg

I just made up a little jig with the angle of the knuckle included, then just slid the angled part of the jig appx 25mm in, cut that section out of the knuckle and V'd both halves out really really well, then got an aerospace approved welding guy (everyone has access to these dont they) to stick weld it back together using sticks designed for repairing heavy machinery.

I do realise that shortening is often not the way people want to go. But cressys don't exactly have the fastest rack (lotsa turns lock to lock) or the longest travel; If i made the knuckles longer i couldnt make use of the extra available lock anyway as the rack simply doesnt have enough travel to make use of it, even with JIC tie rods. Now im finding that when i cut some scallops out of the LCAs, i can achieve more lock too and havent got any binding yet.

I like that rack shifting idea too. While someone is at it and if their sump allows, you could raise the rack also in order to relieve some bump steer issues.

good, clean penetration.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

heres the photos of the ones I have here

They are based on standard ones just modified

HAHAHAHA THEY ARE MINE!!!!!!!!

It is something that we are going to be looking at doing. I am going to do some R&D on my R32 and then look at going commercial with it.

i should have a sample of the ones my mates making tonight :thumbsup: i'll upload a pic when i can.

still waiting on a decent aussie option for modded knuckles to suit a s13..

was looking at the max sport kit, but fkng around, buying knuckles in the states, getting them sent to the max sports workshop, modified, then shipped out here... just to much fkng around..

out of curiosity, say i had a s13, converted to 5stud, using s14 (?) gear... id still just use modded s13 knuckles yeah?

three sets have been made off the jig tonight, as neil said, we will have pics up tomorrow and hopefully photos of them fitted to his silvia to show how much extra lock. 450 exchange if anyone is interested, welded professionally

under the impression they are hey man knuckles, could be kuroi though. either way they are slightly different length with a different angle. Find out tomorrow what sort of lock they offer, and what they drive like.

are you modifying the stock lca's in any way or do you need to run after market lca's?

also are you just doing them for s13 atm or s14 hubs/lca's aswell?

under the impression they are hey man knuckles, could be kuroi though. either way they are slightly different length with a different angle. Find out tomorrow what sort of lock they offer, and what they drive like.

did use have fun removing and refitting those HEY MAN KNUCKLES from alex' k's car to copy them :lol:

should have sabotaged them before re-fitting them in that case

:yes::ph34r:

Heres a picture of them fitted before and after. (tie rod had about 1" before hitting the stopper on the lower control arm before and it is now touching. so more lock can be attained if that is removed. but as is it is not binding) I already had 5mm steering rack spacers on the car before hand).

These are for s13 but we also have a jig setup for s14's we'll have a set on our track car to test out at winton on the 21st of Feb.

before.jpg

after.jpg

Heres a picture of the knuckles

knuckles.jpg

knuckle.jpg

nothing other than what you already had on there. and a wheel alignment. ;)

alright ive got an s14 with tein tie rod ends with the built in spacer so mine should look similar? how do they go with grinding the stop off as thats what most people do

yes they would be identical to this. if you took the stopper off it would give you even more lock (probably start binding though).

Sweet, let me know when you do S14 version :)

2545669385_e0d29919d3_o.jpg

cut about 40mm out, veed the shit out of it, careful measuring, turned mig on full, and blazed them up

2 turns lock to lock, had to put small stopper on lca as wheels were hitting tie rods

not twitchy, stable at hi speed, no binding, backs into corners, what more could you ask for LOL

oh occurance if these SNAP ,, who is liable are you guys for supplying a suspension component ??

you shouldve posted up a pic of alex ks hey man knuckles sitting nxt to them as you already had them out wen you copied then XRIS :lol:

You do it at own risk.................... That said, ive done a few at work and they are bloody strong.

if you know how to weld correctly you will have no issues with them breaking. use a tig, knotch it, heat the metal and use the correct rods everything will be fine.