Sign in to follow this  
Siddr20

Who said stock kit lens are crap?

some awesome photos, would love to be able to be showen to use my dslr a bit better,

as in setup wise, and what to look for in changing settings...!!

Cheers dude :)

If you lived in sydney i could have taken you there and shown you what to do etc..

It all comes down to practice to be honest.

I remember the first time i went there and all my pics turned out crap. Asked a lot of questions on the forums and i learnt. 2nd time i went i improved heaps!!

3rd time i went is what you see in this thread :)

Heres my fav from the night:

IMG_1293__PPns.jpg

Im sure i got plenty more pics from that night too..

great shots siddr20

kit lenses do a great job usually, hell the nikon kit lens can focus really close making some of the macro lenses feel the pressure. only trouble is when you want to push them to the limit (ie. low light or high contrast scenes) or need that perfect architectural picture (no distortion) they start to struggle.

nevertheless ken rockwell whom we all love, raves about the certain kit lenses and constantly compares it to $1500+ versions

would love to see some night shots with more DOF B) that stuff is the sex

really need to get myself a tripod and do some long exposure shots. just wondering which tripod are you using? also is there anything in particular to look out for when buying a tripod?

sidd, could you please supply us with the setting on each photos? do you use flash at all? or is it just long exposure?

great shots siddr20

kit lenses do a great job usually, hell the nikon kit lens can focus really close making some of the macro lenses feel the pressure. only trouble is when you want to push them to the limit (ie. low light or high contrast scenes) or need that perfect architectural picture (no distortion) they start to struggle.

nevertheless ken rockwell whom we all love, raves about the certain kit lenses and constantly compares it to $1500+ versions

would love to see some night shots with more DOF B) that stuff is the sex

Cheers mate.. Whos ken rockwell?? hahah

really need to get myself a tripod and do some long exposure shots. just wondering which tripod are you using? also is there anything in particular to look out for when buying a tripod?

I need to upgrade my tripod (well i don't really need to, but you know how you get the upgrade bug :P), but anyways things to look out for:

- Weight!!! most important thing. See if it can handle all your lenses. Those zoom lens can get very heavy so make sure it can handle the load.

- Steady legs - See the thickness of it. You can easily tell the difference between cheap and better to really good tripods. Also check if the legs lock properly.

- The head - Make sure the head is a reasonable good quality. My cheapo tripod (even tho it cost me 80 bucks) head is shit!! Its made out of cheap plastic and sometimes i cant get the levels straight.

But yea just have a good look around first and pick one that suits your budget. I was poor at the time so i went with the best tripod i could find under 100 bucks.

sidd, could you please supply us with the setting on each photos? do you use flash at all? or is it just long exposure?

I have left the EXIF data intact on the photo, so you can have a look. But with the stock kit lens (18-55mmIS) i normally shoot at f8. Its the sweet spot :P

But i will upload more pictures from the night for you, using different apertures.

No flash was used in any of these photos and i doubt the flash will do anything.

However i have bought a 430EX II few weeks back. Have used it at three engagement parties and i love it. Best investment for the camera ever!!

Heres a few more photos from the night :)

Tefu - These pictures below are taken at different apertures. EXIF data is intact if you wanna have a look.

IMG_1316border.jpg

IMG_1317.jpg

IMG_1286.jpg

IMG_1285.jpg

ok dumb question where is the EXIF data... I looked in properties... nothing, downloaded it and looked in the properties, still nothing...

So how do you know what exposure for each photos? e.g. on your post 39, the third photos, what exposure do you use to get the lightning on the tree looks that bright.

You got firefox? If so install the EXIF plugin. Once thats done, all you do is right click the image and go properties and the EXIF data will be shown.

Otherwise save the image to your computer. Then right click and go properties then click on summary.

OR you could open it up in photoshop and go view info or something under file tab.

For post 39 pic 3,

The settings are as follows:

F 4.5

ISO 125,

8 second exposure

18mm

Ask away more questions man. Happy to help.

I was wondering how can I do the 8 sec exposure on the powershot camera... the IX10IS...

Sign in to follow this