Sign in to follow this  
bens180

got defected!, need engineers cert!

Got defected in my 180 and i need to get the hole in the top of the battery tray engineered.

ive been ringing around and the best i can get so far is $450 for it all but i need to get the hole

covered over top and bottom with steel and welded down.

does anyone know of any engineers that can do me a decent job.

some engineers tell me you cant engineer the hole, wtf its a common mod, has anyone been done for this

and when the engineer inspects the car are they supposed to go over the whole car or just focus on the offending item???

either way i need a new cooler piping kit that flows either thru the standard hole twice or one that requires no holes to be drilled.

any help finding these parts would be appreciated.

cheers all

go buy a thick piece of rubber, put it on the battery tray and cut a hole for the cooler pipping, make sure u make it nice and u will be sweet

when u go for the engineers test, they look over the whole car to make sure it complies with ADR's....not just the one defect item that is on your defect notice.

there are engineers that will sign off on your car with a hole in the battery tray. ring around and advise them of your situation.

i'll find out off a friend who recently cleared his defect for his battery tray hole, ill grab the engineers contact details that he went to for u..

some bill dude in eltham will clear it but you gotta weld up and under the whole. was gonna get it done but then he had to eng whole car like someone mentioned, that meant changing over shit, like rims, exhaust, wheel which i did mind, but the reason i didnt do it was the tint. wanted me to remove that. what a headf**k.

ps pm me if you hav a boost gauge for sale.

Basically the police officer is telling you it needs a engineers cert for the hole?

HE IS NOT A Qualified Engineer. What it should say, is it needs to be inspected via a engineer to see if it does need a Cert.

mate im going to save you alot of time and cash

call up vicroads or better yet goto them

something about a pre 1995 or something like that car does not need it, if not show them photos etc and you should be able to get out of it. And how what it says is wrong.

Im guessing it was Pettet who got u?

Anyway thats what i did and a few mates of mine did and they accepted it.

Best of luck.

i would also like to know someone that can sign off on the hole in the battery tray as im dreading the day i get pulled over for it

hey buddy,

got done for the same thing about 6 months back, went to engerneer in richmond really good guy, but like the rest of them was going to pass the the hole but had to go over the hole car, so as i had already payed for that and started running out of money i went and got a RWC and took my risk at camberwell vicroads First thing in the morning and the girl stamped the RWC and cleared the defect, you could try that before you spend money as i did it backwards spent money and tryed with rwc

Goodluck

Where abouts sells bits of rubber that would be suitable? I've gotta get a roady and the *milkshake* that owned the car before me cut a pretty big hunk out of the battery tray...

My mate's got his roady licence and i just spoke to him about this and he reckons that cutting the hole is perfectly legal as long as its done neatly with a rubber insert and as long as u dont cut into the chassis rail. I cant understand why the cops r picking on this crap if it's legal??

because on some cars where the battry tray is it has the chassie rails right underneath and they think all cars do....

if the cop has put engerneers cert required nothing u can do to remove it, you just gota try ur luck read my post ^^^

because on some cars where the battry tray is it has the chassie rails right underneath and they think all cars do....

if the cop has put engerneers cert required nothing u can do to remove it, you just gota try ur luck read my post ^^^

yeh as stated above, regardless of its legallity form your mate, the cops has listed a VAS is required to clear the defect.

The hole may be fine, but still needs to be engineered by a certified engineer, as well of the rest of the car as others have said which is a head f**k.

i had a hole in my battery tray for cooler piping.. i had a slightly small battery and had it secured bit away from hole.. passed without having to get an engineers cert

yeh as stated above, regardless of its legallity form your mate, the cops has listed a VAS is required to clear the defect.

The hole may be fine, but still needs to be engineered by a certified engineer, as well of the rest of the car as others have said which is a head f**k.

Yes...

i had a hole in my battery tray for cooler piping.. i had a slightly small battery and had it secured bit away from hole.. passed without having to get an engineers cert

like wise,

any vas engineer you go to will have to go over the hole car, try rowan carter in richmond his good guy

here is the link to all the names and numbers of VASS engineers

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyre...October2008.pdf

GL

go buy a thick piece of rubber, put it on the battery tray and cut a hole for the cooler pipping, make sure u make it nice and u will be sweet

That is one of the best ideas ever on this site. If you did that and glued it to the tray so it couldn't be lifted, I can't see how it would be possible to be defected. They wont look up at it.

I've got myself a job for a sat