Sign in to follow this  
Karbonyte

The Official PS3 Chat and PSN gamer tags thread!

I couldn't find a 'PS3 repair' thread, so just posting it here.

Recently my PS3 (250GB sim) has been making a clunking noise after about 20 seconds of loading a disk, almost like it's trying eject it. It would also have trouble loading games, but after ejecting and re-inserting the disk, they would eventually work. Lately it's gotten worst and now won't read disks at all.

I've done a bit of research on the net, and people have recommended booting the system up in safe mode and doing a 'file system repair', which I did and looked promising after finding corrupt data. However it didn't seem to fix the disk issue. So I've been watching tutorials on the net on how to open the PS3 up and clean the lense, which looks to be the likely problem.

Has anyone had a similar issue?

I know the bluray laser need to be repaired because they fail after time or heavy use eg when reading game data constantly but I doubt that is making a clunking noise. Perhaps there is a problem with the disk drive?

Well it plays movie DVDs fine, and after searching the net, this means the bluray lense has the issue, not the whole drive. I've just read the clunking is the reader bit of the drive resetting after not being able to read the disk. Might have to open it up and see what I can find.

The bluray lense in my brother's PS3 unit died as well but I don't think it made any clunking noises.

If you get stuck, there's a console repair place on Goodwood Road next to Woolies and BigW on Cross Road.

Developers are currently taking receipt of a new PlayStation 4 dev kit, VG247 has been told today, with a final version slated to appear in January. Yes, it’ll have Blu-ray. No, it isn’t being made in Japan.

Multiple sources have confirmed to VG247 today that a new version of the Orbis kit is now shipping to developers, and that it’s housed in a normal PC case.

There are to be four versions of the dev kit, we were told. A previous version was essentially just a graphics card. The version shipping now is a “modified PC,” and the third version, appearing in January, will be close to final spec. A final version will be delivered to developers “next summer”.

Some US developers attended a “disclosure meeting” at Sony’s offices this week, with a further meeting to take place in the coming weeks. The purpose of the meeting is for Sony to tell studios what the machine is designed to do, to detail hardware and to show a set of presentations.

Our source told us that Sony is only calling the machine Orbis, and is not using the words “PlayStation 4″ in these meetings at all.

Orbis, we were told today, is based on the AMD’s A10 APU series. An APU (Accelerated Processing Unit) is a combined CPU and GPU.

PS4′s APU was described today as a “derivative” of existing A10 hardware. The hardware is “based on A10 system and base platform”.

The “ultimate goal” for the hardware, we were told, is for it to be able to run 1080p60 games in 3D with “no problem,” to create a machine that’s powerful enough for “today and tomorrow’s market”.

The dev kits have “either 8Gb or 16Gb of RAM. Deduce from that what you will.”

The hardware is not being made in Japan, it was said.

When asked if PS4 will have an optical drive, specifically Blu-ray, our source responded: “Of course it has.” We’ve been told the hard drive will be 256Gb “as standard,” but it’s not clear if it’ll be a normal HDD or a solid state drive.

We were told that Sony’s aim with Orbis is to avoid problems involved in launching PS3 by creating something “very affordable” but that “isn’t a slouch”.

The machine has WiFi and Ethernet connectivity and HDMI out. Our source said the was “no difference” between PlayStation 3 and Orbis input/output.

The UI, however, has been revamped. It was said today that players will now be able to press the PS button mid-game and travel “anywhere” on the system. An example given was buying DLC from the PS Store mid-game then seamlessly returning to play.

“They’re trying to make it as fluid as possible,” our source said.

We were also told that the machine will be designed to accept system and product updates in the background, and that it’ll “always be standby mode”. When you set the console up, we were told, you’ll be asked if you want to allow background downloads. You can, of course, disallow them.

No details have been given on the pad as yet. Confirmation is expected this month.

Orbis is expected to be announced at an event “just before E3″ next year.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/11/01/ps4_details_playstation_4/

They are only now releasing info for studios to start developing games? Seems like the PS4 wont be out for some time yet which is a shame seeing that it has been 6 years since the PS3 release.

Yeah basically they are releasing info to the developers so they can plan for the next-gen games.

Looks like an SSD drive is very possible considering the file size is rumored at 256GB. Production is moving out of Japan so hopefully build quality and reliability don't take a hit. Although the original fat PS3's weren't very good anyway. Shit loads got the YLoD or dead Blu-ray lense. Have no idea how mine is still alive :lol:

At a rough guess I'm thinking it might be out a bit before xmas next year.

Sony announced the Playstation Plus program for the Vita which is coming out November 21st.

I haven't been tempted to sign up to Plus as I always had all the free games they were offering but this has sold me.

QwMie.jpg

They are only now releasing info for studios to start developing games? Seems like the PS4 wont be out for some time yet which is a shame seeing that it has been 6 years since the PS3 release.

No, it's a new version.

Developers, we'll selected developers had been given dev kit a long time ago.

However, as they want to support the indi scene, this would be a cheaper, powerful system That's More accessible to more developers they aren't trying to get in bed with