Sign in to follow this  
Grizzly Imports

Australian Defence Force info

if I was you get a trade its the only thing worth joining for at the moment or get in the raaf I hear those guys get half days on Fridays wouldn't worry about the fitness stuff, I know a guy that couldn't even climb a rope, was a special person.
Some units on some bases do indeed get half day Fridays, but that time is made up by starting earlier and finishing later Mon-Thurs, so it's not like every Friday is a genuine EKO between 12-2.

I'll ask again because it really wasn't answered, I got my interview tomorrow and does anyone have any tips or tell me what I can expect?

Thanks

Just tell them you're happy to arrest mates and that you'll avoid sodomising detainees. You'll get the job for sure

Haha well it didn't go as planned! Had some specialized testing, they didn't enjoy my handwriting! Couldn't read it well and I'd agree with them because it is pretty bad. So I applied for artillery - air defender!

Anyone got insight on RAAF v army? Looking at joining as a qualified environmental health officer (so officer position) Also how is it doing a civvie job in the adf? Few mates have advised against... Saying its just like regular work but with more restrictions... Opinions?

its like regular worth, with a touch of getting paid to get fit, and a touch of getting pineapples rammed up your ass.... I was in as a OR (other ranks) so a non officer, I've been told SO jobs are a lot better. if you went RAAF, you would get treated about a million times better than the army dude, air force doesn't sleep in the rain, they get hotel rooms and pina coladas.

Cheering, got the posting I was after. Going home to Adelaide after 9 years away.

i got out in jan and came back to adelaide because they wouldnt give me a posting, got over it after being overseas and coming home to 'train to train'. i am getting back into reserves though! haha

Also anyone know much about difference in time frames as far as priority v Non priority jobs? EHO is priority in army but not air force... I think air force looks after navy stuff too in this role so that's another +1 to them...

yeah i probably should have, but i wanted to go to uni. and now have changed my mind and wanna go police force haha

Well adf arent hiring EHO's. Priority entry was for undergrads only. f**kers.

Hey fellas, just after a bit of advice for writing a letter of appeal to the ADF in regards to being knocked back for being medically unfit.

I was knocked back due to breaking my leg back in June of 2009, but I still have the internal rod inserted into the tibia. I have already seen my surgeon, got the x-rays and his fairly extensive (and expensive) report which clears me for any type of physical training etc. I am well aware that I may be asked to get the rod taken out before they will consider me. Which is no problem, it's a fairly simple procedure and requires little recovery time (1 week typically).

The roles I have applied for are very physical. 1. Commando 2. Rifleman 3. Tank crewman. So I can completely understand their concern.

Just really want to know what to include in the actual letter I have to write. Has anyone else had to do similar? I have spoken to the nurse and she basically said I don't need to write an essay, but at the same time I want to give as much information as I can to improve my chances of being reconsidered.

It's a bit frustrating as I'm as fit as I've ever been and my leg causes me no pain or discomfort what so ever, but as I said before I understand their cause for concern.

Cheers for any help or advice.

tl;dr I need help writing a medical letter of appeal to the ADF.

first of all have you applied for any other adf jobs in the past?

maybe try different preferences?

easiest way to write the letter is first paragraph a general outline of everything, short straight to the point. 2nd go into the injury and what treatment you have received. 3rd maybe about your currrnt fitness and attitude and why you want to join. put copies of doctors letter, surgery notes and xrays as attachments.

i would be reconsidering your preferences to a trade, infantry then tanks. you can always go for selection at a later time.

Applying for commando with a serious injury in the past like that, you're setting yourself up for failure with no prior experience in the ADF dude... people brake legs during selection it's that gruelling.

I'm not saying don't do it. just maybe get into the army first, do another job for a while, then transfer over. doing battle pt (combat style pt with a pack/webbing on ect) is bloody hard, and you may realize youre feeling pain where you never did before.

like robbo said, give a trade a crack and go from there. they favour experience in the adf and some deployment experience also. a lot of people who go direct entry commandos aren't guaranteed a place in 2cdo. most get put straight into an Infantry battallion and get asked nicely to come back and give it another crack in a few years.