Sign in to follow this  
Grizzly Imports

Australian Defence Force info

Tell him to man the f**k up, sort out his family issues and finish school.

This should be in the ADF section of the jobs/work/careers thread.

sorry, thought it would get abit more traffic through here

what do you think he should do a31 ?

edit: and yeh he is reading this thread

Just to back everyone up again I reckon recruiting would have a hard time taking the moral high ground this month as it is :ph34r:

What exactly is 'his life' that he'll miss so much? Getting pissed on weekends with mates? He'll get that in the ADF, more than with his current mates. If he's concerned he won't see his current mates as often, it's true, he won't - but he will make new mates that have been through more bonding in a short time frame than some of his current mates have ever been through.

I'd advise him not to look at joining the ADF as a four year plan as that's bit of a closed mind. I joined when I was 22 because I wanted a career, some direction in life and to get out of home (my home life was very stable but it was time to grow up and become independent). Almost 8 years on and I'm enjoying it more now than before as I've gotten past the drinking and sleeping around phase of my ADF life and enjoying the company of true friends both at work and in my social life.

If he wants to join, go for it. Book a YOU session, find a trade that interests him and that he's suitable for and take the plunge. It's a big leap into the unknown but I've found it to be the best decision I've made as I was going nowhere doing shitty factory jobs with no ambition and now take pride in my work and have a deeper sense of loyalty and respect for others than I previously had.

Just to back everyone up again I reckon recruiting would have a hard time taking the moral high ground this month as it is :ph34r:

Hahaha! Just tell them you don't use Skype or Facebook or any of that modern social networking stuff. :lol:

i've got my interview for a rifleman position next Thursday. its been bout 4 months since i first applied. safe to say just getting mentally ready for army life has made me more focused, fitter and more grown up in a good way. im only 21 and have been a boilermake since i was 16 and i do think that this will be the best move i make in my life. just tell your mate that joining takes a f**king long time.....

This should be in the ADF section of the jobs/work/careers thread.

thumbsup.gif

Merged topics

Hey everyone, I'm an officer in the navy that has changed over from being a sailor so if anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer them.

Regards,

Sam

Do you give or take?

I'm an ex Electronic Warfare tech in the Navy (Cryptologic Systems now) we are also know as Spooks. I was 21 when I went in with year 12 behind me, It's a very very hard cat to get into as the background checks are full on and requires ASIO to go into EVERYTHING about your life, they will ask you EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING, It took me 3 months of interviews and tests to even be considered for the position.

I have a top secret clearance with the Australian government and can walk into any security area ADF Bases, ASIO, ATO office etc, I can't say what I did behind closed doors but it was a great job, and because of my security clearance pretty much I took orders from Sydney not the CO/XO on the ship. We got moved around every 3-4 months so we didn't get into any friendships with the other sailors an leak any information, so your only mates were other spooks.

But I can say if a missile was fired at my ship, I can play with electromagnetic spectrum and make it fall out of the air, and render it useless.

would seriously consider deleting that section of your post if I were you. not appropriate at all mate

+1

If you really had TS you would know that you can't just walk in to any government department and demand to know anything you want. You should know full well that you can access TS information on a need to know basis and I can't see any information that ASIO, the ATO or the ADF (seeing as you say you are ex EW) has as being anything that you need to know.

I've got a question regarding joining Commando's.

With eyesight requirements, I found a thread on another site that said you're good to go if you have glasses/contacts, and not color blind (beyond a certain degree).

What about lasery eye surgery? Is that frowned upon or =rejection?

Am I best to get this done before I apply/enter? or apply/enter with glasses/contacts then get it done afterwards (not because I wan't the ADF to pay for it ;) but because it might reduce/kill my chances of entry).

My current eyesight is perfect in left eye, right eye I can only read the easy half of most test charts, and I'm not subject to any color blindness.

I've got a question regarding joining Commando's.

With eyesight requirements, I found a thread on another site that said you're good to go if you have glasses/contacts, and not color blind (beyond a certain degree).

What about lasery eye surgery? Is that frowned upon or =rejection?

Am I best to get this done before I apply/enter? or apply/enter with glasses/contacts then get it done afterwards (not because I wan't the ADF to pay for it ;) but because it might reduce/kill my chances of entry).

My current eyesight is perfect in left eye, right eye I can only read the easy half of most test charts, and I'm not subject to any color blindness.

one step at a time mate, unless you are in the army right now I would focus on joining before SF selection. All well and good to have goal but right now your goal is the size of everest and some people dong realise this before its too late.

SF don't care if you need glasses though. It's recommended that you wear them instead of contacts on your courses.

I have been in the army for 4 years now and im looking for civilian employment at the moment.

I started off infantry and because of injury i transfered to transport.

I have had great times in the army and some of the worst.

Believe me it isn't like the movies or the adds they show.

If you have any questions give me a pm

In regards to commandos or SF i have a few website with all the info you need + training programs, but that wont prepair you mentally lol.

You can go direct entry commandos but it means firstly going through initial enployment training for rifleman (3 months at singleton)

I have been in the army for 4 years now and im looking for civilian employment at the moment.

In regards to commandos or SF i have a few website with all the info you need + training programs, but that wont prepair you mentally lol.

You can go direct entry commandos but it means firstly going through initial enployment training for rifleman (3 months at singleton)

Maybe mention what it really takes, a 2 year wait list plus nearly that again in very taxing training IF you continue to make the cut which so far 95% of all SFDRS applicants have not.

Maybe mention what it really takes, a 2 year wait list plus nearly that again in very taxing training IF you continue to make the cut which so far 95% of all SFDRS applicants have not.

Its usually between 80-85% that don't make it.

Most of that is before selection even starts, just due to the long arduos process that most people aren't ready for

IMO go for it. If you don't get on the panel for the drs program then so be it, if you do, then it's the best opportunity you will get and you need to make the most of it. The whole 'do your time in infantry first' is crap, you almost go backwards in an inf unit unless you get on some recon/sniper courses. AIT's will get you ready and will teach you what you need to know, more so than any other infantry digger. Go for it, aim big, you got nothing to lose. Don't listen to the haters.

And yeah you can wear glasses/contacts, but you can't be colour blind. When your out field though glasses are almost impossible, and contacts are a pain because you can't take them out every night etc etc. So i mean in the best interest yeah getting laser eye would be good, but not essential.

180-mph, if guys fail SFDRS before you get on the CSTC do you still fall under the SOCOMD restriction of fail once, never to reapply? (except in the case of injury with performance to date)

180-mph, if guys fail SFDRS before you get on the CSTC do you still fall under the SOCOMD restriction of fail once, never to reapply? (except in the case of injury with performance to date)

If someone fails drs or quits etc before cstc, they just go to a batallion(or get out if they are a choc). Has no bearing at all on selection attempts etc etc.

And also there is no fail once never reapply. If you are off with injury you can reapply, if you get kicked off you can reapply, if you quit, as in take yourself off the course, then it's up the the panelling staff as to whether they allow you back on. I know of a couple people that have attempted 3 times as they hadnt quit, but either been booted or gone off with injury. Also a couple people that withdrew and were allowed back on.

It's very much a case by case matter.

Really? I have always heard (from the wider Army and as even the SASR doco on SBS) that withdrawal at own request always meant you could never reapply to for selection at either unit.

The rest I know is case by case but the former I always thought was definite.

Good benefits like medical rent assistance and shit. Stability in the job. Decent wage seriously looked into it but happy I decided against it to pursue another career pathway. I'd recommend it for people in a job they hate with limited career prospects

That is exactly the wrong attitude to have towards joining, DO NOT join if you are doing it to take something for yourself or just for the pay and benefits, do it because you want to actually be in the military and what it stands for or else you are wasting everybody`s time.

Good benefits like medical rent assistance and shit. Stability in the job. Decent wage seriously looked into it but happy I decided against it to pursue another career pathway. I'd recommend it for people in a job they hate with limited career prospects

So your advice is to join but you never went through with it yourself?

:whistle:

Really? I have always heard (from the wider Army and as even the SASR doco on SBS) that withdrawal at own request always meant you could never reapply to for selection at either unit.

The rest I know is case by case but the former I always thought was definite.

usually that is the case yes, but stranger things have happened. But really, if you withdraw, you can pretty much guarantee that's it, so at least give it a good go.

Anyone who comes off the course for whatever reason will be debriefed, and in that they will be told whether they are recommended to reapply or not. So even if you didnt quit but got booted for whatever reason, they can still not recommend you to come back.

limited in what exactly? seeing as though there are hundreds+ jobs in the adf, which ones are limited?

Anyone from here in the navy?

Yeah I am. Are you in the navy?

Yeah I am. Are you in the navy?

Nah, was just considering it as a second preferance as raaf isn't recruiting avionics technician or aircraft technician anymore. Had some questions about the navy in general but got in contact with a mate who's a marine technician so most have been answered through him/his parents now. Thanks anyway for the fast reply.

RAAF arent recruiting those positions according to the defence recruiting website but have you applied anyway? I know of some AVTECH`s that are enlisting in the next couple of months so even though those positions have not been recruiting according to the defence site they still have openings occasionally.

The clerk position is another good example, it hasnt been recruiting for a while yet i know of at least 10 of them enlisting on the 10th of May.

The amount of time it takes for a full application to go through you may as well try mate, you never know when they will start recruiting those positions in large numbers again.

RAAF arent recruiting those positions according to the defence recruiting website but have you applied anyway? I know of some AVTECH`s that are enlisting in the next couple of months so even though those positions have not been recruiting according to the defence site they still have openings occasionally.

The clerk position is another good example, it hasnt been recruiting for a while yet i know of at least 10 of them enlisting on the 10th of May.

The amount of time it takes for a full application to go through you may as well try mate, you never know when they will start recruiting those positions in large numbers again.

I applied last year but they wanted me to get a heart oblation (electrophysiology) for a heart condition (super ventricular tachycardia).

Since then I've been waiting on a cardiologist appointment to book the operation in, got an appointment for one who does the procedure on June 2nd now so hopefully he can fit me in, switching cardiologists took alot longer than I'd expected but it's starting to make ground now.

In the meantime I've gone to tafe to up my grades for maths & am currently doing a physics course through tafe too. Fitness is up to scratch and my course finishes in July so I will be applying again after the operation.

The heart condition doesn't have much of an effect on me (had it for years and while at one stage took beta blockers for it is a rare occurance) but they still wanted I done so thats what I'm waiting for and trying to make myself more competitive for when I do apply again.

Aircraft armament technician will be preference 1 over 2: aircraft technician then 3: avionics technician.

R b gave me some great info & insight into aircraft technician (thanks again) but armament info is proving more difficult to come by, my grandfather was an armament technician but this is going back to ww2 so if anyone here is one I'd like to bug you with some questions if you don't mind.

Aside from that I've just been researching and trying to learn about each of the three positions and the Raaf as a whole but got a bit discouraged reading about the adf being over capacity and retention not being an issue as it was a few years ago so started to consider the navy as another option but tbh I've always wanted to join the Raaf since listening to pop's stories as a kid and I don't really want to give that dream up now.

Thanks for your reply Nja82, you just (even if unintentionally) gave me the reality check I needed lol. Hopefully I can get this operation done asap and get back on track to joining up.