Sign in to follow this  
Grizzly Imports

Australian Defence Force info

Hey mate, wow you have asked alot of questions that need some fairly in-depth answers!!

1. What service life is like varies alot between services and your own personal circumstances ie if you are married or single. I can tell you what it is like for me (married with children). I am RAAF and it just like a normal job, I work 7:30 to 4:30 monday to thursday and 7:30 to 12pm friday and outside those hours the time is my own- I go home to my family, I live in a service residence away from the base as do most people, people are infact encouraged to live away from base. But what they want to hear from you is that you are part of a team and you look after your mates etc etc and the military owns you and they can call you in whenever they want you.

2. Expect a generic 'rate on a scale from 1 to 5' type questionnaire with questions like 'do you get the feeling your life will be cut short', 'if you saw someone you don't like walking towards you would you cross the street to avoid them?' and 'if you were standing on the edge of a building would you feel the urge to jump?'. When I did my psych exam they asked me about my upbringing, my relationship with my parents/siblings/partner, my accomplishments, what I was like at school, did I like school, did I ever use drugs, how much I drink/smoke, my hobbies/interests, did I play sports and other personal things like that.

3. I'm not sure about all trades but I know definately some do. I am a GSEFITT and I qualified for wage top up and tool allowance even though I was already a qualified mechanic and on over $50k a year. I am guessing that some don't because alot of trades are not civillian recognised and the apprentice wage top up etc is a civillian initiative. I will endevour to find out if CETECHs qualify for you as my brother is a CETECH.

Are you able to join direct as a gunney? I thought that you needed to join as an avionics tech and then apply to become a gunney?

Thanks the the detailed information Sampson, much appreciated!

Yes you can apply for direct entry into as a gunney now, they have its own separate trade, its relatively new though. 52 weeks at RAAFSTT and 2 years on the job training, very similar trade to aircraft tech from what ive heard but only more explosive ordnance modules. Ive got a mate whos a ACO who is trying to get me in touch with a mate of his who is a gunny for a bit of a chat on the job role.

Any info you can find out off your brother would be awesome mate, i would assume CETECH`s would have a bit more after hours work and deployments than the trade you are doing though? Its hard to really find much out off recruiting, they want you to know all this stuff but cant really tell you a whole lot... :rolleyes:

Yeah CETECHs do get alot of deployments (lucky bastards!) compared to most trades for example my bro has done Timor, Solomons, UAE, Afghanistan (twice) and is going to the US for an exercise early this year. GSEFITTs do get deployed though, I got back from a Middle East deployment just recently. If you trawl through this thread I think I did a bit of a write up on CETECHs. It is an awesome mustering though- their role is really varied and interesting compared to pretty much any enlisted ranks mustering.

Im not to sure how you would go without your HSC, look into it, as far as i know any kind of officer entry requires year 12 passes in at least 4 subjects. I think if you are already in the ADF and wanted to go and become an officer later on the mature age student thing may apply but for direct entry i think you need your HSC.

Depends on how long you want to be in the defence force i suppose and how hard you want to work at things - Dad didn't have anything past a yr10 education started as a sapper and finished off as a Major, but that was a 35+year career.....

*Edit: Alternatively there is nothing stopping you from going to a tafe and knocking your HSC out of the way, my sister did this after finishing yr10 and working for several years. She is now in the RAAF.

Im not to sure how you would go without your HSC, look into it, as far as i know any kind of officer entry requires year 12 passes in at least 4 subjects. I think if you are already in the ADF and wanted to go and become an officer later on the mature age student thing may apply but for direct entry i think you need your HSC.

Depends on how long you want to be in the defence force i suppose and how hard you want to work at things - Dad didn't have anything past a yr10 education started as a sapper and finished off as a Major, but that was a 35+year career.....

*Edit: Alternatively there is nothing stopping you from going to a tafe and knocking your HSC out of the way, my sister did this after finishing yr10 and working for several years. She is now in the RAAF.

To become an officer you do need a HSC or equiv. But in saying that once you join as a digger, ie your dad, once becoming the rank of seargent, you can bridge across to become an officer.

I've just enlisted in the army reserves and am currently having a huge WTF have I done moment

Is this normal?

Not joking around here, is this something I can expect will pass or have I made a huge mistake? I know as a reservist I don't have a minimum service period, but am worried that if I do pull out its gonna hurt other job prosepcts ie SAPOL.

Relax mate.....relax!! Yes that is a completely normal feeling. When you first get through the gates for recruit training it is an incredibly intimidating feeling and recruit training itself is tough but once that is all done and dusted you will find that the military is not what you thought it was when you were a civilian.

You have made a really good decision- the military has so many perks and benefits and I promise that if you stick with it you will really enjoy it!

Just remember Kapooka is a game. you'll be fine.

I've just enlisted in the army reserves and am currently having a huge WTF have I done moment

Is this normal?

Not joking around here, is this something I can expect will pass or have I made a huge mistake? I know as a reservist I don't have a minimum service period, but am worried that if I do pull out its gonna hurt other job prosepcts ie SAPOL.

^^lol

Relax mate.....relax!! Yes that is a completely normal feeling. When you first get through the gates for recruit training it is an incredibly intimidating feeling and recruit training itself is tough but once that is all done and dusted you will find that the military is not what you thought it was when you were a civilian.

You have made a really good decision- the military has so many perks and benefits and I promise that if you stick with it you will really enjoy it!

Just remember Kapooka is a game. you'll be fine.

as sampson & sr20na have said its normal, relax & enjoy it. if you play the game you'll be right.

and if you don't play the game.....you'll still be fine.

you can't fail kapooka

and if you don't play the game.....you'll still be fine.

you can't fail kapooka

i wouldn't say that, we have a few winners at work.laugh.gif

Ok so i have been in the army as a ground based air defender since feb 2009 on a gap year. my transfer paper work took around 9-12months to be processed but i am FINALLY leaving 16ad regiment to start the fitter armament course at the end of this month (Feb). My advise is pick a job very carefully as it is so hard to tranfer at some units. Now for me to enjoy another 2.5years of training :P worth it for a trade though!!!

Well finally after 7-8 months of a long process i have my enlistment date, 10th May. Going into the RAAF as a ARMTECH, cant wait, long time coming, gonna suck that i will be at rooks in winter though.... <_>

Well finally after 7-8 months of a long process i have my enlistment date, 10th May. Going into the RAAF as a ARMTECH, cant wait, long time coming, gonna suck that i will be at rooks in winter though.... <_>

Good stuff, now remember, when you are at 1RTU....Just. Play. The. Game.

:lol: yeap i will remember! Just do as im told no matter how stupid it is, keep my mouth shut, get along and go along :P

:lol: yeap i will remember! Just do as im told no matter how stupid it is, keep my mouth shut, get along and go along :P

And remember this, even if you DO have one, don't put your hand up if they ask if anyone has a motorbike license and wants a fun job.

laugh.gif yeap i will remember! Just do as im told no matter how stupid it is, keep my mouth shut, get along and go along tongue.gif

And remember this, even if you DO have one, don't put your hand up if they ask if anyone has a motorbike license and wants a fun job.

can you explain that one a bit mate?

its an easy way of getting people to do $hit jobs.

ie if they need someone to clean the toilets.

instructor-who wants to do a motorbike course

jube/trainee- i do, i do

instructors- ok, heres a bucket & mop go clean the toilets

jubes/trainee- damn it

instructor- rofl

this trick will work 98% of the time.

More advice from when Chappers and myself went through;

If you did Air Cadets or Army Brats or any of that shit make sure you don't admit it. Nobody likes know-it-alls that don't know a damn thing and have a holier than thou attitude.

Cups canteens work brilliantly for solving snoring issues (read up on the Pavlov's Dog experiment)

SecPol dog handlers are not 'basically ADG's with a dog'.

laugh.gif yeap i will remember! Just do as im told no matter how stupid it is, keep my mouth shut, get along and go along tongue.gif

can you explain that one a bit mate?

its an easy way of getting people to do $hit jobs.

ie if they need someone to clean the toilets.

instructor-who wants to do a motorbike course

jube/trainee- i do, i do

instructors- ok, heres a bucket & mop go clean the toilets

jubes/trainee- damn it

instructor- rofl

this trick will work 98% of the time.

:lol::yes: By the time you actually get to you're posting, actual good courses do come up, you're seco will go who wants to do a PMV course, everyone will scatter lol, they have all been tricked at one stage.

^^^ hahaah no way. Speed camera's INSIDE BASE!! HOLY F**KING GAYNESS. Wow they really must be loved by the rest of the force! Guess they gotta look busy doing something right....

Chappers how often you fly away man? You post on here a bit, but being an AEA you would assume you would constantly be away on rotation with 10 or 11 Sqdn whichever you are in up north for OP Astute? BTW you guys are good for doing that work! Would love to be an AEA but unsure if I have the right brain for it! Bit rusty on the old maths and physics. Only did Physics in yr11 not 12. And yr12 maths was Maths Applications (the simplest one). But hey maybe once I've been in the RAAF in a similar role maybe (ASOP) it would be easier to transfer into AEA? What do you reckon?

Well I'm instructing at the moment at 292 SQN, so I don't go away that often, but at 10/11Sqn you can expect to spend a minimum of 5months away a year, we are hugely committed to a number of operations, Slipper, Resolute, Gateway, Cranberry, Yasi Assist etc etc.

Next time you speak to recruiting ask if you meet the criteria for AEA, you may be surprised. It is a great job and you work with some great blokes, SQN life is awesome and you get paid well too.

^^^ hahaah no way. Speed camera's INSIDE BASE!! HOLY F**KING GAYNESS. Wow they really must be loved by the rest of the force! Guess they gotta look busy doing something right....

They're not affectionately called 'Hitler Youth' for no reason. These are the rejects that were breast fed until aged 9, were picked on at high school and wet the bed until they were 8. I've had a few dealings with them, it takes a fair bit to ruffle my feathers but those twats just shit me.

Chappers how often you fly away man? You post on here a bit, but being an AEA you would assume you would constantly be away on rotation with 10 or 11 Sqdn whichever you are in up north for OP Astute? BTW you guys are good for doing that work! Would love to be an AEA but unsure if I have the right brain for it! Bit rusty on the old maths and physics. Only did Physics in yr11 not 12. And yr12 maths was Maths Applications (the simplest one). But hey maybe once I've been in the RAAF in a similar role maybe (ASOP) it would be easier to transfer into AEA? What do you reckon?

AEA's have an awesome job man! I flew on a P3 sortie in the middle east and it was the highlight of my deployment. Gotta have a stomach of solid iron though-11 hours of flying around in circles had me spewing my guts up a few times. Definately worth persuing once you are in the RAAF though.

AEA's have an awesome job man! I flew on a P3 sortie in the middle east and it was the highlight of my deployment. Gotta have a stomach of solid iron though-11 hours of flying around in circles had me spewing my guts up a few times. Definately worth persuing once you are in the RAAF though.

Should try 10 hours of flying figure-eight patterns 100ft off the deck tracking submarines. There is a reason every aircraft smells like spew :drool:

Didn't realize it was a competition!

No competition mate, just saying you are correct, everyone spews, some sorties are worse than others, though!

I have a pretty strong stomach and flown a plane in a figure 8 and a downward spiral pulling a few G's but i know that you guys do like 80degree banking and heaps tight turns and at like 600km/h + so would surely make everyone spew! Never flown for over 4hrs LOL! Anyone know much about the RAAF's UAV's as in whether we are getting them, if it would create a new job or whether an existing job would do it? Would be really fun and interesting!

We have Herron UAV's in Afghanistan at the moment, they are leased from the Canadians and are flown by a mixture of guys, Pilots, ACO's and AEA's mostly.

We are looking at getting Mariner or Global Hawk in the future to be used for Maritime patrol alongside the P-8A Poseidon (The replacement for the P-3).

No new job has/will be created for UAV's, as with Herron they will be operated by Pilots, ACO's and AEA's.

I've been studying physics, math etc to get into a pilot role but after reading all I could find I'm heavily considering air combat officer, us anyone on here one? I'd like to bother you with a few newbie questions if you don't mind as id prefer to talk to someone other than recruiting about it.

Yeah I've scoured the Raaf site and google looking for something of use, even looked for a few things on tacco and some of the other jobs similar that they seem to have compile into aco. Yeah pilot was never the first choice to begin with (was intelligence until I talked to an intel officer who didn't exactly sell it and also a coworker who has worked with them in the past (sniper/rifleman) who gave me his opinion of them lol. I have always wanted to join the Raaf, my math score was 88% but that was general and I'm studying advanced an physics at the moment.

I've always been interested in aco (was pref 3) but detailed info is hard to come by. When I Dod my first you session I found an intel officer but there were no aco's at parramatta at the time so I think I'll call in when I'm sure I've found all I can on it. The video and defence.gov vids are goo and all but as my friend ho I'd a marine tech has told me many times "recruiting is full of shit, talk to someone who actually is one".

Yeah I'd be inclined to aim for fa/18f or aew&c. Yeah they do control weapons systems on the fa/18f super hornet from what I've gathered. The mission management interests me alot too. Spent the arvo in a maths tutorial thinking about aco and I think it's the better way to go. Should probably get more management exp too...

I know about the pilot recruiting, my mate got a 9 for his flying but they knocked him back still, min you he was only 19 and they didn't like his overall attitude apparently. Tamworth from what he has told me sounds pretty intense. Anyway thanks for the boot up the ass, I think I'll go give recruiting a call and see if I can get in contact with am aco. If there is one by any small chance on here though shoot me a pm? Ill have to look into what events there are in nsw too thanks for the advice dark bringer.