Sign in to follow this  
Siddr20

The random photography thread

is there any recommended websites for getting into wedding photography, and organising/asking people to be an assisstant for others to gain experience?

I just brought a 600D body and Tamron 18-270mm lens (B008), this is my first DSLR

Waiting on the lens to arrive this week, and borrowed an old SLR 35-80mm to use on the weekend. Very noob at the moment but can't wait to learn more.

is there any recommended websites for getting into wedding photography, and organising/asking people to be an assisstant for others to gain experience?

Ask for 2nd shooter gigs. That what I did when I first started.

Join various photography forums and ask.

Harro!

Lol ay i want to buy a macro lens, any budget ones?

Don't want to spend $$$$ because I have plans to travel this year

Can I find one around the $250 mark?

Just wondering if any of you nikon or canon users have used or own a 24mm 1.4 lens??

if so what are you thoughts, pro's & con's of the lens?

thinking of upgrading in the near future to FX and a fixed wide angle low ap lens

do yourself a favour and increase that range a bit - Tamron 90mm is around $400 ...

So.. no to the $250 mark? :(

do yourself a favour and increase that range a bit - Tamron 90mm is around $400 ...

You might be able to get something shyt - but why bother when you'll definately wanna upgrade ASAP after that? save up a bit more, its 2 million % worth it!

Yeah you have a point, i've been looking around, decent ones don't have a decent price lol

whats a good cheapish speed light for a canon? dont wanna spend to much as my expenses are still recovering from buying decent glass..

430exii.

If not get a YN560 speedlite from ebay :) Works well. I use it as my backups. Oh and i think from memory it was 80 bucks.

The only way to really get a quality macro lens cheap is, if you struck gold in an Ebay bidding or Gumtree ad.

Or in my case, I was lucky enough to buy a 100mm macro for $350 off a mate last month, Rrp $700 :P

But either you'll have to make a slightly bigger budget (Canon 50mm F2.5 Macro's are $350 on ebay ), or... you can buy a 50mm F1.8 ($120) and a reverse adapter plate ($5-15 a piece of plastic), people say this works but I've never tried it.

So something like this.

01.jpg

Hey man yeah, I've had a go at reverse rings. Quality isn't the best, have a look at my portfolio the macro type shots were from reversing my lens, not the greatest, but achievable. You have a very very limited DOF 1mm movement screws everything up.

I'm looking at a 50mm from JB, you think I should sell one of my lens's and get the 50mm? (Not the macro)

Why not just get a basic slr jay?

or 2nd hand 450d or similar? But then im guessing you will be tempted to buy more things?

I struck gold on old as lens' !!!

About 20 or so of them, all old school, they won't fit on my 60D will they? Their all various brands, old school cool school lol

Found a OOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD cam, film type, has aperture settings printed on the back, like what lighting to use which aperture on haha!

Actually it will be interesting to know the lighting setup for that shot: http://www.flickr.com/photos/britishmonarchy/5671667895/in/set-72157626613171058

Looking by the shadows and no light spill on the carpet im thinking just one huge ass light modifier on camera right.

Looks at the shadows under the chin.. To me it looks like one light source plus available light coming from behind to light up the side of the face a little.

Post up your thoughts :)

Wow! That is well lit!

Sid, I don't think there's a light source from behind. Look at the Queens chair, front leg, where William is standing. There are 2 shadows, So I'd say, one on left, center, and right.

Thread needs to be revived!!!

I finally done heaps of research on aperture and DOF, and my lord, if you don't know how it works, you guys should seriously research it!!

I've always thought F5 was the best stop to shoot, but once learning more, I've been using anywhere between f1.4 - f22 haha.

It's magical!!

Come on people! Post in this thread, comment on anything, ask any questions, feel free!

I bought a lens hood for my lens' really makes a difference!!

Also bought a macro lens reverse kit, one that fits on the front, and reverses another lens to it, waiting for arrive and test it out, can't wait!!

Also, whats peoples opinions on the 320EX Speedlite? Went into teds last night, they had them on special! Really couldn't resist it, but thought I'd ask in here first.

Has inbuilt LED where its constantly on for doing video. Really neat, really liked it, but I have to ask before I buy lol!

Also thinking about buying the 50mm F1.8, it's down to 149!! :woot:

Should I buy off ebay? Or stick to a camera store where I can get warranty and close to home, etc?

Great to see your excitement man!

I've always preferred buying from the shop instead of ebay, I like the idea of supporting the stores so they are there to seek help from and see the gear instead of a purely online based system. But I've never been a huge online shopper in the first place.

I just picked up a 580EX secondhand and am starting to learn how to use it, it's my first flash purchase so I can't really help you with whether the 320EX is a good buy or not, but I say check reviews and comparisons online, you should be able to find out exactly what you're missing if not getting the 580EX II and you might find the extra features are mainly for professioal use anyway so the 320EX is probably a good start.

p.s. the 50mm f1.8 is the best value lens you'll buy, you'll love it!

Sweet as, thanks willis. I found cheap ebay flash which im thinking of buying, like 30-40 bucks.

I think, what I want to do, before I buy expensive, propper stuff, I'll learn how to use the flash in heaps of different scenarios and then later on get the good stuff.

Something like this

What you think of it? 43 bucks.. Fits canon.. Good to learn on or?

Also thinking about buying the 50mm F1.8, it's down to 149!! :woot:

Should I buy off ebay? Or stick to a camera store where I can get warranty and close to home, etc?

2 months ago I got a canon ef 50mm 1.8 II for $110 at JBHiFi

A cheaper alternative to the 580exii is a Yongnuo YN-560. I got one as a backup. Great flash at the fraction of the cost.

So the yongnuo are decent aye Sid?

Thought they were a cheap crap chinese copy, but they have heaps of different designs and styles.

So thought, they won't be that bad would they?

ClubK, How is it 110 at jb? I went in yesterday and it was still at 149 :S You must of got it discounted?

just ask them to go cheaper, jb usually knock off a fair amount from the listed price

No complaints from the Yongnuo YN-560 flash. Its a great flash and for under 100 bucks (i think from memory) you cant go wrong.

Offcourse not full ettl and other fancy stuff from a 580exii but flash output is just as good.

Lots of people are using them. Im going to buy a few more and use them as my light fill when lighting up receptions.

Sign in to follow this