pallnet

Cheap/Safe/Easy S13 5lug front hub conversion.

My first tech post!!!!!!!

I've been Yarding for a while and I really get into finding parts that swap over from one car to another. Keep in mind that most car makers will not retool too often and they try to stick to what works instead of retooling. This means that a good bit of parts when machined by the factory, were machined to the same specs as other parts used for other cars in the same product line. Now that we're on the same page the info below will prove to be very useful if you have the J30 and/or Q45 platform in your area of the planet.

I was messing with this a few months back when I found a write up online that helped me alot, the guy just happen to be right ahead of me on the conversion but he didn't relocate the bearing retaining clip. Without the clip the bearing WILL shift in serious hard turns and this can cause you to wreck. I'm posting pictures of all the most important parts of the conversion.

The parts list:

(2) Infinity J30 or later Q45 front hubs. You will know if you have the right ones because they look like S14 hubs and they are 5 lug.

(2) S13 front hub bearings. New is best but I have been able to press out old ones without damage.

(1 Hour) Time on a lathe. Most of you will have to take the hubs to a machine shop. they will have no problems because the work is EASY.

Figure in some installation time if you have 5 lug rotors, if not then take your rotors to the machine shop with the hubs and get them redrilled.

First you will want to remove the rear seals and ABS speed reluctors from the J30 hubs and then remove the rataining clips that hold the bearing in place.

You will have to press out the old bearings. A press is needed.

PIC-0038.jpg

In this picture the J30 hubs have a S13 bearing pressed in the left hub, you can't see the stock retaining groove.

*NOTE* The stock J30 hubs and bearings fit the S14 spindles and the offset is correct on the hubs for all known brake conversions but you have to use a washer spacer inbetween the stock lock washer and the bearing or the big nut will bottom out before securing the bearing. Keep in mind that in this configuration you can't run ABS or a rear hub seal.

Now back to the S13.

You have to take your hubs to the machine shop and have a new retaining ring groove cut in a new location so that the retaining ring will seat right with the S13 bearing in place. The S13 hub bearing has a taller outer race then the J30 bearing.

PIC-0041.jpg

Taller S13 bearing on the right. The center races have a 2mm differance so it does not affect the offset of the hub.

At the sametime you have the hubs there at the machinest you might want to get your rotors redrilled if needed and have your hub bearings pressed in. I guess I'm lucky I have all the tools needed to complete all of this but most of you don't so you will have to pay a machinest a few bucks.

Picture_0068.jpg

J30/Q45 brakes can be fitted to the S13 as a direct bolt-up. In the pic you can see the rotors had been redrilled to fit 4 lug hubs.

Snap the retaining rings into their new locations and you're almost there. The stock S13 bearing is sealed so no seal is needed.

J30_retaining_ring_before.jpg

Original retaining ring groove.

J30_second_retaining_ring.jpg

New retaining ring location right above the old one.

PIC-0045.jpg

Retaining ring test fitted.

Swap the hub out for your stock 4lugger and fit your brakes and new wheels. The hub sits in the correct location for all brakes normaly used or crossed over to the S13.

Picture_0351.jpg

Hubs mounted to a set of stock spindles.

Picture_0321.jpg

All mounted up with perfect alignment.

When you go to fit the new cap onto the hub to cover the bearing and big nut, you will notice the cap hits the tip of the spindle axle. Cut the tip off right above the threads with a grinder/cut-off wheel or even a hacksaw can be used.

No need to change balljoints (roll centers), tie rod ends or spindles.......

Cost for me was:

Hubs were about $30.00US

Bearings were $90.00US shipped

Machining was $00.00 (I have a lathe and access to a press.)

I said it was Cheap/Safe/Easy!!!!

Thanks

pallnet

Edited by pallnet

Nice info for a cheap conversion! Don't think we have those models over here however.

Nice info for a cheap conversion! Don't think we have those models over here however.

I think the Nissan President is the same as the Q45 here in the states.

Maybe next time I'm in the salvage yard I will take a pic of the suspension they are removed from. This might help by comparing to what you guys have over there.

I scored another set over the weekend so I will be converting them soon as I get some bearings. How to I get to post in the FOR SALE section here? I don't mind shipping to you guys, I've been doing it for years with my custom fuel rails.

Thanks

pallnet

You need to make 100 posts, or perhaps contact a MOD who may be able to make an exception?

I see, thanks for the info.

I'm still feeling my way around this forum.

I just jumped in here with both feet forward, I have some reading to do.

Thanks again

pallnet

I love your work!

As the other guys have said, 100 posts is required.

If you want to really move them (which I'm sure you could), you can sign up as a sponsor.

Greg

I love your work!

As the other guys have said, 100 posts is required.

If you want to really move them (which I'm sure you could), you can sign up as a sponsor.

Greg

Thanks for the compliments fellas, I try to make what I want on my own cars.

Greg: You have a few goodies I will be in the market for in the near future if you're willing to ship to the states.

HHuumm, I will have to look into the sponsor thing.

Thank

pallnet

We ship items to the states on an almost daily basis now so it's not a problem.

Greg

Yeh J30's are known here as Nissan Maximas. I used to own one. Leather seats, electric sunroof, cruise control, climate control. P.I.M.P.

Yeh J30's are known here as Nissan Maximas. I used to own one. Leather seats, electric sunroof, cruise control, climate control. P.I.M.P.

Awsome to hear, this means you guys can use this conversion..

I scored another set yesterday and set them up for an Ebay auction. Everywhere I read here in the states guys are starting to use this setup but none of them relocate the retaining ring, they just press in the bearings and go.. BAD NEWS for them when the hub starts to walk on the bearing. If it doesn't lock up on them it sure as he!! will mess up their nice brakes.

Thanks

pallnet

Digging up an old thread but I'm looking into this at the moment. If I wanted to use an S14 bearing (to go on an S14 spindle) is it a simple case of pressing out the J30 bearing and pressing in a new S14 bearing, with a groove machined for the retaining ring? I would imagine this would help with the bearing seal (the J30 is an unsealed bearing correct?)

Anyone done this mod over here yet?

Every machine shop I've talked to so far, says they can't cut the new groove for the locking washer. What the hellz? So I'm stuck with two 5 lug hubs from a J30 and new S13 bearings.

Now what?

All the best,
~ HollywoodJackson ~