Sign in to follow this  
DRFT-18E

Accountant vs Electrician

Hello

Im going to be starting my career training soon and I've nailed it down to these to, Accounting and Electrical. I cant make my mind up, so Im asking the people on this forum of their personal experiences they've had. Like the pros and cons of both of these jobs.

Who would be earning the most money ? You average electrician or your average accountant ? I understand its a million times easy to start your own business as a electrician then a accountant. That true ?

I have equal interest in both jobs which is making it hard to make a choice.

Cheers

Edited by DRFT-18E

im a sparks..

good cash, good work, good hours. only thing that sucks is getting up at 5:30... but ur home just after 4 (i work in the city, melb).

im a sparks..

good cash, good work, good hours. only thing that sucks is getting up at 5:30... but ur home just after 4 (i work in the city, melb).

do you get to wear those cute little protective glasses?

I'm an electrician, and I earned just a tad over $80k last year, and I don't even run my own business.

Getting up early takes a bit of getting used to, but like what's already been said, you are home roughly around 4pm, which still gives you time to do stuff in the afternoon.

Depends whether or not you want to be a pen pusher, or like physical labour.

sparky would be good while you are young, but once you get a bit older, things get a bit harder i guess. Being an accountant will have u in an office all day, but might not be as interesting, and most likely more stressful.

You also need to consider the stability in the profession, currently Australia is a Boom, therefore plenty of construction and high demand for Tradies. This wont last forever, but if you enter the right time, you should be ok when a decrease in demand sets in.

While Accountants are required no matter the current economical situation.

Though the main consideration is whether you can handle sitting at a desk all day, or are you one who needs to be constantly moving??

My sister is an accountant, and was doing auditing or a few years. She got sick of it after a few years and now doing business IT sorta work.

Accountants can easily find jobs, has potential to grow and earn a lot, and even go to a lot of different places. But you'll be stuck in an office doing crappy balance sheets, tax, etc.

Accounting is notoriously boring but there's alot of demand in Australia for accountants.

Me I'd choose to be a sparky over an accountant though, I did some communications for work experience and it was kinda fun just going to random places and sorting out their networks/phone systems etc

I did work Experience with family friend and his company as an Accountant... It was the most boring, irratating, boring 2 weeks of my life. Put me right off, I started getting my pilot licence after that. :lol:

dodgy accountants make good money

just get in with an organized crime group and help them launder cash and investments

youll make what a sparky makes in a week

meh but your lifespan maybe shortened

dodgy accountants make good money

just get in with an organized crime group and help them launder cash and investments

youll make what a sparky makes in a week

meh but your lifespan maybe shortened

I think you should take this guys advice. I can't conceive a more accurate/helpful answer than the one above.

In every office I've ever worked in the accountants have allways worked the longest hours. I don't think I've ever left an office and not seen the accountants car still sitting there - and I'm talking well after 6pm.

Small companies are the worst - the accountants are allways under massive pressure from the company owners.

I don't think anyone can predict what will happen in the building industry though - at the moment there is a lack of skilled tradesmen, especially tilers, brick layers, plumbers and electricians. If that drives alot of people to work in these currently lucrative industries then there could end up being an over supply. It happened in I.T. at the turn of the decade when it was in big demand. Every man and his dog was looking at a course in IT but 5 years later many people struggled to find work and pay rates fell considerably. I know one person who was on a 90k per year contract at Cisco and then was retrenched only to find the best job he could find paid a crappy 35k. You just never know.

dude f**k making money...... Accountants are greedy people who have no social life or interest outside of work talk about a shit life revolving around money...... MONEY MONEY MORE MORE do what makes you happy first then you will suceed these days to many people are doing JOBS not happy happy fun times :( Tomk says sit at home and drink a few bottles of bourbon whiskey and debate in your mind. then realise your to f**ked and you crash out with dissy head spins then wake up to repeat the same attempt again only to fail.

Tom

electrician i have no opinion on.

accountant on the other hand..... 3 of my good uni mates became accountants for the big 4... and i could'nt be any less jealous, they have become more boring than toe nail clippings. Seriously, why the f**k would you want to be calculating other peoples earnings/turnovers/bankruptcy's all day long... I'd rather be bankrupt than knowing that i'll have to sit at a desk hoping that my shit will balance out for the rest of my life at a max wage of 100g's pa if i'm lucky.

I can see the parent careers day at school already #1 dad is a fireman, 2nd is an architect... 3rd is a balding accountant with boring shit to talk about all day.

thus why i decided to take my commerce degree in the direction of real estate rather than the accounting (aka guaranateed job) direction.

electrician i have no opinion on.

accountant on the other hand..... 3 of my good uni mates became accountants for the big 4... and i could'nt be any less jealous, they have become more boring than toe nail clippings. Seriously, why the f**k would you want to be calculating other peoples earnings/turnovers/bankruptcy's all day long... I'd rather be bankrupt than knowing that i'll have to sit at a desk hoping that my shit will balance out for the rest of my life at a max wage of 100g's pa if i'm lucky.

I can see the parent careers day at school already #1 dad is a fireman, 2nd is an architect... 3rd is a balding accountant with boring shit to talk about all day.

thus why i decided to take my commerce degree in the direction of real estate rather than the accounting (aka guaranateed job) direction.

I don't know who you are kidding about how much Accountants at the Big four get paid but you must be joking... There are plenty of them earning 2million plus pa....

Accountants can also do other things, like if you get a graduate position at Macquaire Bank, they will stark you on 80+k pa

Real estate agents spend their whole life manipulating people....

If I was going to invest 5 million dollars on the other hand, I woul do it in comemercial real estate...

Do what you want to do. At the end of the day you should be wanting to get out of bed and go to work, no matter what that's going to be. What do YOU see yourself doing for a career? Where is your heart at?

Best of luck with it I know you're going to be great at what you decide :)

crunching numbers all day, in an airconditioned room?? or being in a stinky hot ass roof, and getting electricuted because someone hasnt turned off the main??

I know which one i would rather choose

crunching numbers all day, in an airconditioned room?? or being in a stinky hot ass roof, and getting electricuted because someone hasnt turned off the main??

Really theres pros and cons for both. As an electrician you would meet a lot of new people and never be in the same place for too long and atm earn good money. As an accountant it would be easy on your body and you have real oppurtunitys to further your career. But sitting in the same office cubicle crunching numbers for the next 40 years of my working career is not for me

Really theres pros and cons for both. As an electrician you would meet a lot of new people and never be in the same place for too long and atm earn good money. As an accountant it would be easy on your body and you have real oppurtunitys to further your career. But sitting in the same office cubicle crunching numbers for the next 40 years of my working career is not for me

well at the start of the 4 yr trainneship you get paid crap but that member who replied said u make 80k which isnt too bad in todays standards so if u finsih school at yr 12 u start sparky when ur 18-19 and u will get 80k about when ur 22-23 yrs old which is pretty good in my books

well at the start of the 4 yr trainneship you get paid crap but that member who replied said u make 80k which isnt too bad in todays standards so if u finsih school at yr 12 u start sparky when ur 18-19 and u will get 80k about when ur 22-23 yrs old which is pretty good in my books

Depends where you work. Im a motor mech. 2nd year and im on 40k already where as most 2nd yr motor mechs are just above award wage. So it depends who you work for. I have a mate who is on 1k a week and he is still an apprentice. The moneys there you just have to find it but go commercial

go on a job search website and see the income for yourself... two very different carriers to choose from...... I am a sparky and i love it.

Depends if your going to be an average leccy. If you work in the mines you can earn well over $120k annually... thats the minimum

dude f**k making money...... Accountants are greedy people who have no social life or interest outside of work talk about a shit life revolving around money...... MONEY MONEY MORE MORE do what makes you happy first then you will suceed these days to many people are doing JOBS not happy happy fun times :( Tomk says sit at home and drink a few bottles of bourbon whiskey and debate in your mind. then realise your to f**ked and you crash out with dissy head spins then wake up to repeat the same attempt again only to fail.

Tom

I hope thats sarcasm.

Do accounting, no job shortages there.

one of my friends in an accountant. she's only graduated this year so she isn't getting paid much, but she says that you really need to do the cpa to get into the big $$$ in accounting, which is another 2.5 years (i think) of study while you are working.

Man f**k accounting.. Seriously f**k that.. Be a sparky and move into your own business eventually.

I took a dive down the wild side and I'm doing science in agriculture at uni..

Gives me the option to either become a desk mule in terms of economics.. Or some sort of analyst who improves the state of farming productivity, water resources etc.. It's taken me a while to realise this but yea it should be fun moving around, being outside.

Tom

I hope thats sarcasm.

Do accounting, no job shortages there.

*inserts sarcasm* :lol:

yeah accountants

i had hate to be a boring rich bastard

that would really suck

none of my mates that are accountants are on less than 120k

+1 for sparky

... theire wages are only going to go up...

+1 for f**k money for a minute and think what would interest you most and give you true happyness. The dumb *milkshakes* are the people who chase their tales searching for happyness with money all their lives. It just ends in tears.