Sign in to follow this  
SSSEX

JDM tinting

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know the percentage or the difference when it comes to tinting on cars imported from Japan? I know that the front windows are tinted lighter than the back, but im not too sure on the ratios?

any ideas?

cheers

Edited by SSSEX

The fact he said 'front windows' (plural) would suggest he is talking about the front passenger windows. I have tinted my passenger windows lighter than my rear quarters and rear window in Australia, although its not very obvious I wouldn't change my choice if I could do it again. Oh and my passenger windows are about half as dark as my rears (Going by percentage grade of the film).

The fact he said 'front windows' (plural) would suggest he is talking about the front passenger windows. I have tinted my passenger windows lighter than my rear quarters and rear window in Australia, although its not very obvious I wouldn't change my choice if I could do it again. Oh and my passenger windows are about half as dark as my rears (Going by percentage grade of the film).

oh ok awesome, ive seen many import cars on the road with the so called jdm tint, i was just curious to see whether or no there was a set percentange or ratio

heres pics of my s15 i purchased in japan, it still hasnt landed in aus yet but u get the idea from this pic.

dont know if i like how drastic the change is, but ill see when it gets here :)

Zac

btw, good post hurt town. quality.

madaerials.jpg

heres pics of my s15 i purchased in japan, it still hasnt landed in aus yet but u get the idea from this pic.

dont know if i like how drastic the change is, but ill see when it gets here :)

Zac

btw, good post hurt town. quality.

madaerials.jpg

nice buy mate,

thats what im talking about.

The tint on the "front windows" is usually ripped out for compliance dude. Mine's like that too.

The tint on the "front windows" is usually ripped out for compliance dude. Mine's like that too.

yeah thanks for that... i was thinking it didnt really have much to do with anything jdm wise? but seeing as thats how many cars come out of japan it just gives that slight touch of jdm to it

so there is no tint on the front windows?

Edited by SSSEX

looks like 5% tint on the rear windscreen and qtrs and nothing on the drivers/passengers... just do it all round (xcept windscreen) :D

03072008-resized.jpg

Edited by an-D

yeah thanks for that... i was thinking it didnt really have much to do with anything jdm wise? but seeing as thats how many cars come out of japan it just gives that slight touch of jdm to it

well you'd assume that the standard tint was replaced with a darker one, then the replacement was removed for compliance, so no. I might get around to tinting mine one day, doesn't really bother me though.

well you'd assume that the standard tint was replaced with a darker one, then the replacement was removed for compliance, so no. I might get around to tinting mine one day, doesn't really bother me though.

yeah the front passenger windows dont seem to have a tint, if so a slight tint might be the case

post-58999-1215325962_thumb.jpg

The front window tint looks to be a greeny colour. Which generally means its still a window tint, but its that window tinting which is something like 95% UV protective on the ocupants. Cars such as Toyota Kluger and Lexus 4WD's, Subaru Impreza, Forester etc all have it. So its not exactly "JDM". In my honest opinion, I think it looks weird and looks much better with a full black window tint rather then two colours. Just my opinion..

I think from memory the option is called "Privacy Glass"

kluger.jpg

As above, the darker rear windows is because of dark glazing in the glass not tint. Its not mean to look cool (i think it looks stupid), its just Japanese regulations. Its actually darker than legal coming in at 20-25% but is exempt. The S15 looks like its got privacy glass or T20 film on the rear and no film on the front (most cars have slightly green glass).

Slightly off topic.

A light tint with a slightly reflective property (not full mirror) on the front windshield is totally illegal, correct?

If it was possible I'd be interested in doing this just to dissapate a little of the headlight glare, because those damn new fourwheeldrive's headlights are so damn high mounted and so bright! (Personally, I think to the point of being a danger to other drivers)

Any tint is completely illegal on the front windscreen, and anyone who does it is a *richard cranium* for putting other people at risk (i understand your reasons though).