Sign in to follow this  
Keish.LB

Who on NS rides?

How long have you been riding for? : 13 years (proper riding, not including just riding around as a kid)

What do you ride? : Street/downhill/a little DJ etc

What kind of bike? : 2005 Specialized P.2, 2005 Iron Horse Yakuza, 1996 Mongoose Rockadile SX, 1996 Research Dynamics Coyote.

Training? : None

Accomplishments? : 1st in Junior mens DH in my club I think 1999 and 2000 and 1st in Lake Macquarie games DH in Junior mens in 1999 or 2000 (i forget now!). Riding Fujimi Panorama in Japan a few times in 2008.

Random photos over the years:

PA050045.jpg

PA050032.jpg

P3030013.jpg

DSC00051.jpg

Wow! Great acomplishments there Nebuchernezzer.

Just ordered a new Last Rufus frame, Gusset Open Prison bars and some Rock Shox Argyle forks. Ill steal the reast of the parts of my stp to build it up. After owning 4, I think its time to move away from Giant. Im hardly ever riding trails on it anymore, and have turned more toward dj and street, so I needed something a little lighter, tighter and didnt come with the gumby label..

Also looking at a new dh.. Maybe an 09 Sunday Team..

Ralph - I'm rocking 32/14T - 62.4 gear inches.

It's a bit overgeared but I have some big long flats and like to spin at a faster speed. The sacrifice though is that it sucks when the wind kicks up...

Nice pics N......r!

Anyone here been to Whistler? I'm heading there for the 2010 summer season. Don't know what I should be looking for bikes wise over there. I'm beginning to get the impression it's the sort of place that you want a 6" all round bike.

Use to ride downhill everyweeekend

Fox creek was were i mainly rode but rode other spots like

belair area

Eagle on the hill ect

Before that got into freestyle mtb but as ive gotton older ive kind of grown out of it and rather spend my money on

cars.

Is bike riding a good alternative for leg workouts in the gym?

I mean hard uphill riding?

It's alot more interesting than sitting in a gym!

I can't really stand exercising simply for the sake of it, i have to disguise it as something fun haha.

I guess it would be a full leg workout if u push hard.

I want to buy a bike.

Guys,

I'm thinking of possibly getting back into riding as i remember when i was younger (my overall fitness level may have jsut been better anyway), but i was fit, and used to love riding around.

And i DEFINITELY need to improve my fitness. My fiance and i are planning to start a family soon, and i don't want to be a father that gets tired after 5 minutes of playing with his children.

I want to be able to last with them. And i assume riding is probably a good way to help (along with diet etc).

Can anyone give me some advice regarding:

1) What sort of bike would be a good starter/recommendation?

2) If anyone lives in sydney (hills area) is there anywhere good to ride?

Guys,

I'm thinking of possibly getting back into riding as i remember when i was younger (my overall fitness level may have jsut been better anyway), but i was fit, and used to love riding around.

And i DEFINITELY need to improve my fitness. My fiance and i are planning to start a family soon, and i don't want to be a father that gets tired after 5 minutes of playing with his children.

I want to be able to last with them. And i assume riding is probably a good way to help (along with diet etc).

Ill be going straight to K-Mart or Target.

U can get bikes from there that have the shocks and everything for like $150.

I wouldn't because you'll end up with some dual-susp Y-frame monstrosity that weighs a ton and has rubbish components. I'm not saying "Everyone should buy an awesomely expensive bike or die" I'm saying that if you are buying a cheaper bike then at least buy it from a bike shop as they won't sell you a $200 dual susp bike as they know that they serve no purpose: too heavy to ride over any distance, too flimsy to DH.

Personally I think there are many better ways to get fit than riding as in order to get fit you either have to ride very hard or very long, but otherwise I'd suggest buying a hardtail MTB or a flatbar road-bike. Goodluck, hope you have fun! I bought my wife a MTB for Xmas a few years back and we ride together quite a lot in the warmer months.

What sort of riding would you like?

Are you likely to do lots of distance? Just short loops? Tarmac, fireroads, singletrack?

An entry level crosscountryish sort of hardtail should cover pretty much all those things. Not a k-mart bike, get something from a bike shop and get it fitted properly. I've seen alot of people riding way to large frames lately, what's with that?

I wouldn't because you'll end up with some dual-susp Y-frame monstrosity that weighs a ton and has rubbish components. I'm not saying "Everyone should buy an awesomely expensive bike or die" I'm saying that if you are buying a cheaper bike then at least buy it from a bike shop as they won't sell you a $200 dual susp bike as they know that they serve no purpose: too heavy to ride over any distance, too flimsy to DH.

Personally I think there are many better ways to get fit than riding as in order to get fit you either have to ride very hard or very long, but otherwise I'd suggest buying a hardtail MTB or a flatbar road-bike. Goodluck, hope you have fun! I bought my wife a MTB for Xmas a few years back and we ride together quite a lot in the warmer months.

Ok cool thanks man. I appreciate that. I think there's a good bike place near me so i'll go visit

What sort of riding would you like?

Are you likely to do lots of distance? Just short loops? Tarmac, fireroads, singletrack?

An entry level crosscountryish sort of hardtail should cover pretty much all those things. Not a k-mart bike, get something from a bike shop and get it fitted properly. I've seen alot of people riding way to large frames lately, what's with that?

I'm not fussed..probably the least likely would be long distance....

That's why i asked if anyone was around the area..they might know of somewhere good to ride.

The bike purchase thing is the hardest thing to inform a newbie on.

Consider it like buying China coilovers compared to some Ohlins. Actually, not even China coilovers. Some new China shocks and some no name super-low springs. It will work, and do it's job, but how well will it work? When it breaks is it under warranty? Or do you need to replace the whole lot?

K-Mart bikes are great for two weeks. Once anything breaks on it the bike is practically useless. The forks and shock are rubbish.

Figure out what sort of bike you are most likely to ride, then go from there.

If you just want to get fit and do it on a budget I'd suggest a quality full rigid mountain bike. No suspension. The alternative is a "commuter" style bike, or a roadie.

Really depends on what sort of surface you plan to ride on. My commuter tyres are perfect for some fire road action (can get pretty sketchy at high speed on loose gravel though!) and fast enough for the tarmac too.

Just have a think about what you want to do with it first, then let us know and we can help you out.

^^^^

Chris King headset, not bad at all! In my experience of converting both a roadie and MTB to singlespeed the roadie is a lot better to ride, in fact I converted the MTB back to geared as it just doesn't roll like a roadie and due to the weight wasn't all that great to climb on. These days I see Kona Dew's all over the place, about 3-4 people at work alone own one and they are an okay bike but AFAIK they start at $500+.

Re somewhere to ride: dig out your street directory as they always list bike paths or poke around online. I don't know where Kellyville is so i can't help you but there's usually an abundance of info on bike paths these days online.

^^^^

Chris King headset, not bad at all!

Not to mention the Juicy 5's. Not bad for the price they're asking imo

ok so im looking at doing some up grades on my STP and am in need of help from the NS bike guru's.

first of all i was looking at putting hydros on the rear

a chain guide and changing the front cogs from two to one.

this is what i was thinking but in not 100% sure on the compatability with the 08 STP2

avid juicy-7 6"

http://tbsm.com.au/index.php?main_page=pro...products_id=338

E13 LS-1

http://tbsm.com.au/index.php?main_page=pro...roducts_id=1412

(not sure which mount i need for this)

also have no idea which cog to buy.

any help would be mucho appreciated

EDIT: also what kind of chain should i be looking at?

*snip*

brakes: personally, i'm not a huge fan of juicy's. everyone raves about them but i didn't find them any good to be honest. that and they are a pain in the ass to bleed. if you can find some shimano xt hydros, they are awesome.

also, you are better off running the hydros up front and cable rear. unless you're not running a front brake... the reason being that you should do around 80% of your braking with the front brake. the rear is for times when you're really hooking.

chain device: you will need ISCG tabs on your frame. not sure if the stp's have them - i suspect they would. i have ran two blackspires for a fair while. cheap strong and work perfectly, but have an e13 on my morewood nowadays. they are all pretty much the same thing so go with whatever is cheap.

gear ratio: what are you going to be doing on it? downhill only means you'll want a bigger ring.. 40-42t, freeride dirt jumping etc probably a 36t, and if you intend on building a "do it all" bike (like do downhill runs then pedal back up), then you might want to look at a 32t.. i run a 40t on my morewood and in 1st gear i can ride it around the suburbs but it's no XC granny gear!

chain: unless you are going singlespeed, just use the normal 9speed chains. shimano hg-whatever is usually good value. also remember to size your chain once you're done... run the chain around the biggest cog on the rear, through the rear mech and around the chainring to make sure it's the right length, then break the chain and join it to the right length

also, when you buy your chainring or chain device/bashguard/chainring set, make sure the BCD of the chainring and bashy is the same as your cranks. from memory 104BCD is pretty much the standard.

if anyone is looking for a dirt jumping/street/park/etc style singlespeed wheelset, check these out:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...em=230359852536

Did 36km's on the singlespeed last weekend and loved it.

For those that know SA.. Started in Mitcham, up to Eagle MTB Park, did a lap, then up to Crafers, down Sheoak Rd, into Belair NP for a peaceful protest rally thing and a lap, then back up to Sheoak Rd, down Pony Ridge and Brownhill Creek. And not really sore at all today! :D

Wish I could tell you all how nice my new Last is to ride. But well, um.. It still hasn't arrived. It was 'ment' to be sent monday 3 weeks ago through courier from Melbourne. Whenever I call, my number is rejected, and if I recieve a reply from one of my emails, they just tell me it's been sent and should be arriving within the next day or so. Always failing to quote the tracking number after I've asked for it atleast 7 times now..

Surely 3 weeks from Melbourne isnt right?

On a lighter note. Pike 327s came in at the start of last week.. Test fit to the *cough*stp*cough*, and they feel great. NS Bikes 20mm front hub, Mavic 325 and DT swiss spokes all in too. Odessy plastics, euro bb, Gusset Open Prison Bars, Salt cnc stem, CK Headset and Wethepeople Grips and seat clamp all arrived yesterday and this morning..

Gah.. I need that frame!

Ho churr B)

Frame - 2009 Last Rufus

Front shock/fork - RockShox Pike 327

Handlebars - Gusses Open Prison

Stem - Salt

Headset - FSA 'The Pig'

Grips - WeThePeople

Saddle - Fit Bike Co

Seatpost - Generic

Cranks - Odyssey Twombolt

Chain - KMC 810-SL

Pedals - Odyssey Plastics

Front hub - Ns Roller

Rear hub - Ns Pro Coaster

Front rim - Mavic 325

Rear rim - Velocity Physco

Spokes - DT Swiss

Nipples - DT Swiss

Tyres - Holy Rollers (Micro Knobbys on way)

Total weight - 12.3kg

Photo0935.jpg

• Upvote 2

clean looking rig keish.

ill have to take some pics of the STP to put up soon.

I'm thinking of getting back into riding after a good 5-6 years of not touching one.

I'm probably aiming for a decent mountain bike as I live in the hills. Are JT Cycles or Trak Cycles decent places to get a good bike from?

I had a look at their sites and they seem to have a decent range. Or am I better off buying the parts individually and building it myself?

It really depends what you want. Do you see yourself doing it for the fitness or the excitement?

If you want to get fit, buy a cross country bike, if you want to have fun maybe consider something like an STP.. A bit of an all rounder.

Bike stores are usually pretty hit and miss. It really depends on the guy serving you. I've been going to Lifecycle on Kensi Rd lately and they have really taken care of me. More of an XC store though.

Ah ok cheers.

Probably more of a fitness thing at first.

I've been eating a lot more lately and doing weight lifting 3 times a week but obviously need some cardio in there as well.

Probably will be for enjoyment as well as I used to go out almost every weekend for a ride when I was younger.

Or am I better off buying the parts individually and building it myself?

The bike nerds will always say that you are better building it yourself but the average person will spend a lot more time and $ this way and in your situation I'd suggest buying a complete bike and upgrading parts as they break.

As vr4nut said, bike shops vary but buy from the one that is patient, takes the time to explain, and lets you think it through before shelling out your hard-earned. Also, they should fit/adjust the bike at no extra cost. Go somewhere that sells a wide range of brands as many smaller shops sell only one or two brands and that may not be the bike for you.

IMO look for things like a better fork or wheelset with less attention to groupset as opposed to sacrificing these things for a higher end groupo as groupo makes less difference and can be upgraded piece by piece whereas buying a new fork or wheelset is $$$.

Sweet.

Thanks for your help guys.

:)

I wouldn't personally look down the track of getting something you can upgrade later. Unless you are spending decent money, it's not worth upgrading your first bike.

Personally if I were you I'd just get a front suspension cross country MTB. You can ride it around the suburbs, so some cross country and it's enough of a do it all bike to get you into the sport/get you fit too!

The problem is knowing how much to spend. I managed to score my mate a cheap Kona for $750 once that was what I consider the base level quality bike. If you're buying a suspension bike, it should be a big name brand - Rock Shox, Manitou, Fox, Marzocchi. Next, it should have a minimum of Deore spec components. Frame is rarely an issue, as they often use the same frame for most of their models - it might just be heavier.

If you can't afford something with decent suspension and decent componentry, get a full rigid bike. I ride one, (in preference to a front suspension XC bike... to make me a better rider) and people have been doing so for years. Just pass on the suspension and when you get fit and if you can justify spending more on a bike, you can either put a suspension fork on later or (realistically) buy a new bike.

Suggestions:

http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bikes/show/100074389-giant-2010-giant-yukon-mountain-bike

...damn. That was the only one I could find that was decent value in SA!

See how you go anyway. I'm selling my XC bike after I come home from the Gold Coast.. Scott Scale 35 - XT Groupset, Fox 100RL whatever they are called forks, Mavic/XT wheelset...