Sign in to follow this  
Keish.LB

Who on NS rides?

Just curious to see how many of us here on ns actually ride mountain bikes. Nothing like 'yeah i have a mongoose with suspension that i ride to the shop and back', i actually mean riding, whether it Downhill, XC, 4X, street/dj.

How long have you been riding for?

What do you ride?

What kind of bike?

Training?

Accomplishments?

etc...

I used to race downhill. I lived for every moment of it, and if i couldnt race, id volunteer at the local rounds. I was absolutely hooked on dh, even after a crash that gave me 7 broken bones!! And then the day came when my rig was stolen.

Since then ive built myself a fun little stp that i used predominantly for dj, but still love to get her on the trails and a bit of street evry now and then.

I would love to hear about anyone else that rides, and even posting pics of ur rig would go the goods too.

Keish

Yeah I've rode a little XC out at the commonwealth games XC course at Lysterfield park. I've got an old Avanti Hammer with XT/XTR groupset, XT hydros, Manitou's etc. Nothing special but it's fairly stiff and does the job ok. Have considered getting a little more into it and maybe racing XC but my current situation doesn't really allow for it. Had a nice stack about 2 yrs ago and ended up stitched from wrist to elbow.

There's quite a few guys on here that ride, some with some pretty nice bikes. Hope onto farkin.net and you'll see some weapons!

yeah, i have a bicycle...

I used to do a bit of DH and XC, but yeah too many kids just pissed me off.

Yeah I've rode a little XC out at the commonwealth games XC course at Lysterfield park. I've got an old Avanti Hammer with XT/XTR groupset, XT hydros, Manitou's etc. Nothing special but it's fairly stiff and does the job ok. Have considered getting a little more into it and maybe racing XC but my current situation doesn't really allow for it. Had a nice stack about 2 yrs ago and ended up stitched from wrist to elbow.

There's quite a few guys on here that ride, some with some pretty nice bikes. Hope onto farkin.net and you'll see some weapons!

already a long time memeber on farkin, so many nice bikes :wub:

im currently riding a stp0, with nothing standard :P

ive owned about 4 stp's in total and a kona stuff, interms of hardtails

and in regards to softies, it goes a little somehting like this

05 dh comp

06 dh comp

and an 06 dh team.

was just about to buy a norco a-line yesterday, but leaning more toward the shore.

Where to start?

Been riding for probably 5 years.

I dont ride anymore, cars own me.

Started out with an Avanti hardtail xc bike, race a bit of xc, then bought a Giant ATX, started racing downhill. Broke that, then bought another ATX, sold that and bought a Turner DHR. Started riding Trials and a bit of Dj and thus bought a Raceline Rhino, followed by a BT Raven 4.0 and an Azonic Evolution for the Djs. Currently have the Avanti, the two trials bikes and the Dj bike.

Used to train a bit for down hill, but i prefered just to ride with mates.

Rode at nationals and competed in the NSW state series for two years. raced all the locals for about 2 years aswell.

i just got into it.

so just beginning..

got hooked when i first went to lysterfield about 3 months ago?

i rode a normal pushbike...i wasnt into riding at all.

after loving it i bought a beginners bike, a giant yukon fx for $600. went on a few rides, not happy with the tyres so just upgraded them...

it'll do for now. my aim is to go once every 2 weeks at least.

friends r pressuring me to go you yangs but i dont think im up to it just yet :P

sounds great matey. I can gaurantee you will love riding!!

$600 for a yukon sounds like a pretty average price, but in saying, they are still a great bike. They have the shimano mechanical disc brakes on them, correct? And a nice set of the rock shox forks with the lockout on them too!!

How about we get some pics of everyones rigs up here?

This is my custom stp0, pretty much spec'd for trail, but does see a bit of dj and street.

Image020-1.jpg

The stp, newly purchased Atomik and mates A-Line

Image0033.jpg

*sorry about picture quality, shitty phone camera

yeh the yukon i got was an 08 model, they were clearing them out to make way for the 09's.

cos i didnt know how much i'd get into it, i was thinking of just spending $350 on a bike...a fuji with crappy ffront forks..mechanical disc brakes....just a small upgrade u know.

then this came up and i was like...screw it, might as well.

yeh it has shimano mechanical disc's (be a while before i get a new bike but damn i wish i had hydraulic). rock shox front and not sure whats on the back...some giant rebranded. the tyres were shit though...so i got some maxxis advantgae 2.1's front and back off torpedo7. bought a shimano xtr duraace chain but i dont plan on putting it in...maybe once this wears out cos i dont have a good cassette for it anyway (only got it cos it was cheap...$30).

yukon specs: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/...ain/1382/29355/

dont know much about bikes yet but im learnin :P as i get into it more and more i mean. That second pic they look nice. dont really know too much bout the bikes personally hehe.

you know more about your bike than some of the guys i ride with!

Upgrading your brakes would be the most worth while upgrade. Ive got the avid juicy sevens on the stp and the avid codes on the norco. I find it really hard to fault those brakes!!

Owning a giant was a good choice. That bike WILL last man. As you can see in my first post, ive owned a few giants, and even tho the norco is a nice bike, i always prefer riding a giant. They feel alot stronger, the geo is smoother and the basic components are always great! And for the xtr chain, wait until you get a new rear cassette (try and go the xtr again, great components!) to wack it on, otherwise the teeth wont bite the links as good and will result in constant skipping.

Great thread.

How long have you been riding for? Been riding now for about two and a half years if we are gauging from when I started. But I have had at least 12 months of injury time in that period.

What do you ride? Downhill, and minor amounts of street and dj

What kind of bike? I have a Giant Glory DH0 which is practically stock apart from gravity 800's and codes. My street and dj rig is a Revell 450r, with 36 talas, etc etc.

Training? Just ride every weekend and couple of times during the week.

Accomplishments? Accomplishments, ayyyyy? Well I spose these count. Surgery 5 times, two broken collar bones, broken toe, and a broken back. Broke it two weeks ago :(

Any other Dhers out there from Vicco. I saw a guy with a 33 gts't at State champs earlier in the year. Don't know if he rode or was watching.

I used to tag along with my brother to his races, mainly taking photos/ filming, got a large amount of race footage :P Occaisonally i'd whip out my bike but only on some of the smaller stuff, its only an '04 bigfoot afterall :lol:

My brothers got an '04 dh comp with nothing stock on it including some rather rare forks, one of only a couple pairs in aus, if that... pretty beefy bike back in its day, and still is to a certain extent.

The amount of problems i had with my bike started to give me the shits so its just gathering dust these days, every now and then ill go for a spin

i use to ride my $150 kmart bike everywhere but since i started driving the bike has been sitting in the garage takin up room and collecting dust

anyone want it? $50ono or im takin it to cash convertors

How long have you been riding for? On and off for 5 years or so.

What do you ride? Mostly DH and general trails, but also love mucking around at bmx tracks, skate parks and dj's

What kind of bike? currently.. none :( I sold them to fund spring break on a trip to Canada earlier this year in Feb. I was riding an 05 GT DHi and an 05 Norco 604 street.

I was actually going to purchase a STP Pro this week, however a broken ancle last sunday has put the plans on hold. Might save up and wait for the 09 Mongoose DH riggs to get released, looking mighty sweet.

Training? Nothing specific, I weight train, box and ride on the weekends / weeknights during day light savings! woo, love daylight savings!

Accomplishments? broken bones, and a few podiums at the KOB series, never anything consistant though.. ridings never been anything more than a hobby.

picked up an 08 STP2 on tue.

just getting into trails and a bit of dh to start with.

Used to ride heaps till i had a bad accident :( heres my bike (sold it now)

14072008171.jpg

got a 06 diamondback joker used to ride but dont have the time anymore :(

IMGP0169.JPG

I have a 2007 Norco Atomik which I ride downhill on with a couple of mates. ;)

DSCF1002.jpg

We have some really sick tracks around our hills and it does not get destroyed by little kids as it is out of town and you need to drive up the mountains. ;)

Always wanted to get into racing but don't think my wallet would like the extra expenses. :angry:

Haven't had stuff all time lately but I ride DH, XC, DJ, pump track (woo woo), and for commuting/just for fresh air in the arvo.

Currently have..

Morewood Izimu DH

- Boxxer Teams

- 5th Element

- Saint brakes

- x9 rear mech sitting next to it ready to go on

- e13 guide

- Mavic 823 w/DT 440

- UST tubeless Maxxis Minions

Scott Scale 35 (stock as)

- Fox F32 RLs

- XT groupset except for LX hubs

- Mavix 317 Disc rims

Transition Trail or Park

- Manitou Gold Label Jump Series II

- Avid Juicy 5 rear with 140mm rotor

- DMR Revolvers laced to Atom Lab PimpLite's

- Eastern cranks/bmx drivetrain

Haro Mary SS (stock, only the following has been changed)

- Mary bars flipped, with bar tape in the middle and Oury grips on the outer)

- SPD pedals

- Soon to come sleeker saddle and more commuter friendly tyres, not to mention better gear ratio for commuting!

Prior to that have had:

Kona Coiler, OnOne Il Pompino, Craftworks Slalom Pro, Kona Smoke, Schwinn BMX, and others but I forget...

^^^^^^^^^^^

That is an impressive stable right there. Love the Scale, would consider buying one in the future.

Anyone know where to buy good, cheap MTB parts online??

I'm in need of new handlebars, cranks and even tyres :S

I've been to bike stores all around Adelaide and can't find what i need.

I have used these guys a few times, very quick to ship and reasonably priced.

http://www.fortheriders.com.au/home.php

You may have to ring them as they have just updated the site and don't have much on there at the moment.

How long have you been riding for? about three years, give or take

What do you ride? downhill but not anymore....

What kind of bike? about a week ago i sold my pride and joy, my sunday ironhorse team '08

Training? never thought of it as training but i guess just riding on and off after school and on weekends did a fair bit of dhing

Accomplishments? came 5th in the u19's state round series points this year which was awesome! and i got on the podium once B)

looking at getting into mountainibf riding after xmas. just wondering what the best type of bike would be for a novice rider. went into cranks bike store the other day an there is alot of overpriced pushys in the 2k and above mark.

previously had an 03 Kona Stuff, sold that & haven't ridden for over 3 years. about to pick up an 08 Kona Caldera to get into some XC in Canberra

been toying with the idea of getting into mountain biking....

what is something all round.... down hill, xc, dj etc tec

Cheers ADRIAN

Also any good online shops???

Sorry, forgot about this thread. Mary SS is rockin riser bars now as I was doing some XC on it. Not bad the whole 29er thing. Feels goofy on a 26er after that though! Now has a 14t cog on the rear. Gotta get my legs big and strong again! :lol:

^^^^^^^^^^^

That is an impressive stable right there. Love the Scale, would consider buying one in the future.

Cheers Ralph. If you're looking for a quality but affordable unit, the Scale is definitely the way to go. I am used to heavier, stronger bikes so I opted for the alu frame (Scale 35) with better components rather than the Carbon frame with lower spec components (Scale 30). I didn't want something that would break while I was learning how to ride with some finesse again. I never thought I'd say this for a long time, but XC is farking sick. Downhill is fun as but shuttles are such a pain in the ass sometimes. Singletrack is singletrack regardless of what you're riding it on!

www.universalcycles.com (price match everything from www.qbike.com)

www.chainreactioncycles.co.uk

www.jensonusa.com

It's not worth it now with the Aussie dollar. Stick with the local stores IMO. You might fluke something but unless you know how to fix the problems if it goes wrong you're better off buying locally anyway (otherwise you have to send it to the other side of the world to get it fixed at your cost!)

www.universalcycles.com (price match everything from www.qbike.com)

www.chainreactioncycles.co.uk

www.jensonusa.com

It's not worth it now with the Aussie dollar. Stick with the local stores IMO. You might fluke something but unless you know how to fix the problems if it goes wrong you're better off buying locally anyway (otherwise you have to send it to the other side of the world to get it fixed at your cost!)

awesome, cheers for those.

One of the main reasons i wanted to know some online shops is because i can't find exactly what i want in local shops :S

How long have you been riding for?

ive been riding like heaps for about 8-10 months

What do you ride?

mostly street, dj, but with a bit of dh thrown in for a play and to get the sh*t bounced outta me (hardtails lol) when i can make it to the you yangs (which isnt often enough :( )

What kind of bike?

09 mongoose fireball that cost me 850 for my bday, rst launch 100mm forks, dual 160mm protek discs, 8 speed sram casette

Training?

i ride as much as i can, mostly round the backyard lawl unless i can find someone to go with

Accomplishments?

cleared every jump on track 12 on the way down from the you yangs :) , then we got lost and almost passed out from dehydration :S

so yeh this is cool if anyone else in geelong rides mtb they can come with me to the you yangs or wateva, but yeh its my 2nd passion after cars for sure :) , love it!

some pics:

omg stupid uploader isnt working soz

the day i bought it :D, so shiny

newbike003.jpg

after its first major ride, 8 punctures in each tube later... (bloody kenda rubbish lol)

Jamesnewbike005.jpg

Jamesnewbike006.jpg

Edited by SuGEE_DrFFtR