Sign in to follow this  
DR1FT HAVEN

D.I.Y: re-trimming your interior in vinyl

yet another weekend, yet another project complete.

i thought I'd have crack at retrimming my interior in vinyl, this includes the doors, glove box and centre console box.

i started this will little kno-how and picked up a few valuable hints thanks to members of this site, here's how i did it:

what you need:

-vinyl, picked this up from spotlight for around 10 bucks a metre, become a member for free and milk the members rates!!

-craft glue, not pva, or any good strong glue that dries relatively quick (3.50-4$)

- shiteload of pegs (priceless, pinch ur mums)

- hair dryer (steal ur sisters if need be)

- Scissors

- a good movie to watch whilst waiting for glue to dry

The centre console box and glove box need to be removed and stripped into their components, this is really easy to do just poke around till you find all the screws, piece of cake.

For everything but the doors I used the same technique...but here's how i did the centre console

Cut a rough piece or vinyl to fit the section your doing, allow a reasonable amount of overlap as you will simply cut it off later. Cover the top of the console box in glue, spread it evenly with a piece of stiff cardboard and lay the vinyl on top, rubbing out lumps and creases.

IMG_2139.jpg

IMG_2135.jpg

flip the console over so the lid is resting on the vinyl. Take a corner at a time and slowly work your way around, ensuring to keep creases and lumps out as much as possible, the slightest crease will build up by the time you get to the end. Take a corner and cover the vinyl with glue. blow-dry the vinyl corner till it's warm to the touch and it will become very soft, spongy feeling and it's elasticity will massively increase. While hot bend it over the corner in an overlapping fashion. When the corner is tight , creaseless and your happy this is where i used the pegs. Apply pegs to the corner, to hold the material in place, i used many pegs as you can see to get a good, tight hold. WARNING, be careful of the type of pegs you use, a peg that is too strong may leave indents in the material once the glue is set, as will pegs with patterned contacts as opposed to smooth contacts (the bits touching the material when clamped).

IMG_2140.jpg

IMG_2136.jpg

IMG_2142.jpg

IMG_2141.jpg

IMG_2143.jpg

Work your way around to eevry corner using this glue, heat, stretch, clamp process until every corner and side is glued and clamped. allow 15-20 mins outside in sun for the craft glue to dry quite hard then you should be able to take off the pegs. i found doing two corners and watching a movie whilst they dried made it far easier than working around a million pegs.

Once all the glue is dry and the pegs are of, hold the frame and brackets of the console box against the lid to mark the excess material to be trimmed off, simple hack away at this with the scissors, remember that the edges, etc will not be seen when everything is put back together to don’t worry how tidy your cutting job is.

Now re-assemble the box and tighten the screws. The vinyl will stretch and compact to allow the hinges and underneath to screw back on once re-trimmed.

IMG_2145.jpg

IMG_2144.jpg

IMG_2146.jpg

PIC_0040.jpg

Doors:

Re-trimming the doors is by far the hardest part imaginable. My first attempt had a few minor hiccoughs yet to be corrected.

Use the exact same process but glue the flattest sections first then work into the two indented corners (for s13's and 180sx's) using a lot of heat and glue, I didn’t use enough glue in the corners and ended up with air bubbles (sections where the material pulled away and didn’t sit flush with the door trim) these curves are exceptionally difficult to fold and not get creases or built up folds of vinyl. Heat, a second set of hands and a lot of stretching pretty well over come this. From there it's a matter of having fancy tools to clamp, hold it in place, or a patient set of hands to hold it till it's set. If you had the time/ could be bothered I'd suggest making a plaster mould of the door trim before you start and use this to hold everything into place and in the right shape.

I started the re-trimming in grey, hence the pictures, but later ripped it off and re-did it in white, here are my final pics:

(note in these pics the centre plastics have also been re-sprayed)

Cheers,

Ross (Dr1ft haven)

IMG_2137.jpg

inprogresstrims2.jpg

inprogresstrims.jpg

finishedtrims.jpg

DSCN0659.jpg

doortrims.jpg

PIC_0041.jpg

• Upvote 1

Really good job with this dude, if only you lived in NSW i'd pay you to do it for me:P Or atleast teach me how.

hey dude looks good

i did the same thing to my 180 a couple of months ago, and same thing as u spotlight all the way :)

i think i have the same glue as u (craft glue)

i cant believe i didnt think to use pegs i used bloody stick tape <_ argg>

ill redo mine coz i looks crap atm i didnt even use a drye i just used my patients

and how did u do the little hole section for the glove box. just under the lever???? that bit was hard

not my taste

but great bang for buck

what is wrong with black?

i dont want to know what the handcuffs are for.

Can the hairdrier be substituted for a hot air gun?? or is the heat too great for the vinyl ???

Not bad, very similar to what I did.

I just had a couple of improvements:

1. Use rulers or something else flat between the pegs and the vinyl. That will make the pressure being applied very even, so you won't get lumpy edges.

2. Staple the vinyl the same way the factory material was stapled.

A heat gun is fine. In fact most of the high quality vinyls will require a lot of long, time consuming heating with the hair dryer. The heatgun will be a lot faster, but be careful with it.

this is a tad old but meh...

dont use anything at all to hold the material down is far more ideal.

you should use pressure pack glue, spraying on both surfaces waiting only 2 or so minutes then stick it down, it sticks instantly.

i did the glove box, console, gearboot and door trims on luis's drift garage onevia in fancy bride material!! much harder than vinyl to work with.

and you also dont need to give any particualr quallty of vinyl more heat. you dont heat it until it burns just until its soft.

i would also steer clear of stapling the material down.

1. because if you dont use the corrct size staples they might go straight through the plastic.

2. if you dont have a compressed air stapler its to much pissing around to make it worth while.

Hey i know this is kinda an old thread

but i was wondering if anyone had the images that arnt working?

Its an awesome tut and id love to keep this for when i get my car!

Cheers

is there any chance that you could get the pics back up? im about to undertake a DIY retrim myself and this article is a very good read.

Please put the picks back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

Im so glad i found this thread! Im trying to do mine at the moment. I was told to use that glue in a spray can. That didnt work at all. Will try what you guys have said and see how it works out. The curves on the door look rather difficult though. Also how much glue should i use? Is it better to use a lot, just to be sure it will hold?

Cheers, Jessie

** updated, due to stupidly large demand, pics r back up :P

wahahhaha much more easier to paint your door panels with vinyl spray man..

Sign in to follow this