Sign in to follow this  
haikii

Tabata exercises

Ok, ive heard so much approval of the tabata but.. not so much on how, whats its for, etcetc

ive found this site.. http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?art...04-046-training

anyone care to confirm these are the right techniques n info..

just chasing after general info on the tabata thrusts, exercises.. what they do.. how to do it that sorta thing haha.

cheers guys.

If you want to know what Tabata thrusters do....do them. Next week, when you recover, let us know lol

Tabata thrusters:

- get 2 DB's, somewhere around 8-12kg.

- get a clock, piece of paper and a pen; a mate to write down reps is easier.

- DB's on your shoulders for the starting position, then squat down, back up, and press the DB's overhead = 1 rep.

- Do as many as you can in 20 secs then rest for 10 secs.

- Go for 4 minutes.

- Sleep.

of course there are many different variations you can do, front squats etc

note: these will f**k you up good.

If you want to know what Tabata thrusters do....do them. Next week, when you recover, let us know lol

rofls. im glad theyre that hardcore.

anyone do em frequently? like say 3 times a week? haha

what about doing 12seconds on 8 seconds off? anyone try that before.. i dunno just a thought that randomly came across cause i remember reading this article on cardio where they say your burn 3 times as much doing 12 seconds of sprint and 8 seconds of medium paced...

cheers mrpasqualee and airwae hahaha

ill give em a go tomorrow perhaps. im still feeling abit sick but im dead keen to get into it cause i havnt worked out all this week. haha ill let you guys know how much they killed me hahaha i hope they atleast sore or i'd just think i've done something wrong..

cheers guys.

Give the 20sec on, 10sec off a go first. If you do them with enough effort you will probably almost pass out or throw up the first time :P

If you're doing weight training as well I wouldn't do tabata 3 times a week, they take a lot out of you!

Tabata is 20 on and 10 off. If you alter this, its no longer Tabata. Tabata is the name of the Jap who came up with this. Four minutes of hell.

My wife does these on a regular basis. She has done close to 100 reps with 8kg DB's and mid 70's with 10kg. She only weighs 58kg, you should smash this lol

No, Eddie is the bench mark, well over 100 reps with 8kg DB's, dont compare yourself to a 43yo mother of 5 lol

I do them twice a week at the moment as my cardio while I'm trying cut a bit, then I lay on the ground for 5-10 minutes. :lol: 8kg DB's but I don't really count my reps I just pump out as many as possible

First time ya do them for the first 2 mins you will be thinking this ain't too bad, then the 3rd minute rolls round and you will be think oh no not again. Then the 4th minute rolls around and you wont be thinking anything except shit I can't breathe anymore and why the hell don't my arms want to go up anymore.

Then it will all be over you will fall to the ground your head will be spinning and your heart will be absolutely racing all of the while you will feel like throwing. You wouldn't think you could do that much damge to yourself in just 4 minutes.

Just remember don't start out to heavy first time round or you'll get to the end of the first minute and you will be stuffed, try 5kg DB's first off maybe.

my gf did them for the 3rd time in a week last night (her 4th time doing them so far) and she was pretty close to vomiting... shes doing in the 50s with 7kg and shes 56kg. she only managed 7 reps in one set on tues and on the last rep of the last two sets she couldnt get her left arm up so shes not quite ready to move up to 9.5kg. she also does a normal workout afterwards... guts and determination...

No, Eddie is the bench mark, well over 100 reps with 8kg DB's, dont compare yourself to a 43yo mother of 5 lol

mrpasqualee did 100 reps with 10kg the other day...

my gf did them for the 3rd time in a week last night (her 4th time doing them so far) and she was pretty close to vomiting... shes doing in the 50s with 7kg and shes 56kg. she only managed 7 reps in one set on tues and on the last rep of the last two sets she couldnt get her left arm up so shes not quite ready to move up to 9.5kg. she also does a normal workout afterwards... guts and determination...

Thats a great effort. I flat out refuse to do them, once is enough for me :lol:

Nina hasnt been doing them much of late while concentrating on powerlifting, but Eddie's effort insired her to have a go. She did 71 reps with 10kg AFTER her workout. She was well and truly wasted, effected her more than I had ever seen them before. The press part kills her with the 10's, she has done just under 100 reps with 8's.

Adam and Simon are pretty good at them as well.

i hear shorty is pretty good at them too tongue.gif

PiSS OFF! :P hahaaha

Come Australia Day i'm gonna try and finish the 4 minutes with 8kg db's

i guess this is relevant here so ill ask it. after doing thrusters last night i realised its showing up my weaknesses. my forearms are failing first which is because i have to hold the dumbells out in front of me a bit when i squat to maintain balance, then i almost have to do an overhand half curl to start the press part on the way back up. this i think is caused by a lack of hip flexibility which doesnt show up with heavy squats but could explain a problem i sometimes get when doing 130+kg squats. any tips? i have bad hamstring flexibility which im working hard on but i think i need to do some kind of hip stretching.

Another great movement to do Tabata with is the clean & press.

Squats dont work because too much time is lost racking and unracking the bar, unless you are retarded enough to leave the bar on your back for 4 minutes.

Front squats are a better option, you just clean the bar into place then drop it at the end of the set.

I just did the thrusters in my workout today.... ouch man. i got up to 2:30 minutes and i died out. my body wouldnt lift anymore :(

i rested and i tried to walk around... man at 8kg's such a relatively light weight.. it takes so much out of you. i couldnt walk straight.. hahaha

i feel disappointed though i didnt get a full 8 sets. so i just did an extra two more taking my time. i tried to skip after because i felt like i didnt do much... but i couldnt find my skipping rope haha plus my legs were killed..

i think next time ill skip first then do some thrusters after..

If you do Tabata for the full 8 sets 4 minutes trust me you want feel the need to skip before or after.

Try going lighter in the weight til you get the hang of it and can complete the 8 sets.

I use 5kg and it kills me every time!

Tabata is definitely mentally challenging as well as physically, its easier to stop then to keep going and no one in the gym is impressed with Tabata.

Its easier to push yourself with weight training than with Tabata. When you push yourself and lift heavy weights you may look strong to the other people in the gym, or feel strong - pushing yourself in weight training has an immediate reward IMO.

With Tabata you are trying to watch the clock, breathe, count your reps, and ignore the idiots in the gym who think you're trying to be the next Jane Fonda - who might I ad, may puke at any minute. The only immediate reward for Tabata is that after 4 minutes it's over!

Concentrate on reps and completing the 4 minutes rather than the weight you are using - this one is definitely mind over matter.

WOW i did these last night after a normal gym session, when i got home, i just used a 10pd plate in each hand as i didnt know how many reps i could knock out in a row.

As it turned out 10pd was probly a bit light, i managed 10 reps for the first 4 sets then 8 reps for the remainder.

I shall be trying around 15 or 20pd next time.

This morning my legs feel like jelly and dont seem to be responding to how i want them, i nearly went arse up when i stood up to get off the train this morning :)

WOW i did these last night after a normal gym session, when i got home, i just used a 10pd plate in each hand as i didnt know how many reps i could knock out in a row.

As it turned out 10pd was probly a bit light, i managed 10 reps for the first 4 sets then 8 reps for the remainder.

I shall be trying around 15 or 20pd next time.

This morning my legs feel like jelly and dont seem to be responding to how i want them, i nearly went arse up when i stood up to get off the train this morning :)

you only just made 8 reps per set and youre gonna double the weight?

i did them reasonably easy, my arms were pretty knackered from my gym session of MP, bench and rows.

Ill be doing these on my days off as well so see no problem in raising the weight.

i managed 13 reps for the first 2 sets with 10kg... i faded very quickly from there :P

hahahaa everyones gotta start from somewhere huh.

man i did them on monday and still recovering. how do you incorporate them in your workouts if they take such a toll on ya..

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDh1Cspl0jI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDh1Cspl0jI[/url] :wacko:

On Ghosty's video we see what morons can do when they attempt to think. Tabata was designed to find a balance between anabolic and catabolic excersise. Something that is hard enough over a short period to actually help in building muscle yet make the heart work so hard that it is very good as a cardio movement.

These dimwits have just made it cardio by extending it and pacing themselves.

Morons.

Nina and I just did WG chins and dips Tabata style.

Nina got 27 chins and 38 dips.

I got 34 chins and 46 dips.