Sign in to follow this  
COOP

INJURY RECOVERY

Hi all, first proper thread on this forum, which is great by the way. I have been training for the better part of two years and have steadily been gaining weight in the right areas at the same time. I have had a few footy related injuries along the way and damaged my rotator cuff in my right shoulder for the third time in three years on the weekend. I am absolutely filthy as i have been training solidly for the past four months and did pb's of every single weight exercise the day before i did it. The sort of injury i have is not bad, but very niggly and normally takes the better part of three months to heal, greatly restricting what i can do at the gym. I am just wondering if anyone can suggest any products i.e supplements, legal or banned, which will speed up recovery time on this or any other injury. Thanks in advance Coop

do you do rotator cuff exercises?

Not just to rehabilitate them but to strengthen them?

Yeah, i did do them, till i got better, and got lazy, now i pay the consequences lol

theres one exercise that comes straight to mind when i think of shoulder rehab, read it in an article on some random forum few weeks ago n tried it..

Works great for shoulder flexibility/mobility and rotator cuff strengthening

basically

get a broomstick or towel and grab a hold of it infront of you, locking your elbows, your grip will have to be quite wide if you have shit shoulder flexibility (most people)

lift it over and to the middle of your back.. so in a 270* motion.. and back to the front..

do like 50 reps of this once your shoulders are a lil bit warmed up or to warm em up and you will slowly but surely fix the problem..

Once 50 reps is ok with a broomstick handle, jump onto something a lil heavier, maybe a metal handle..

and eventually do it with an oly bar..

i have started doing those exercises rescently to. they work well. i have had a buggered right shoulder for months now, its always been a bit niggly when at gym, so i have decided to stop doing any exercises which pushes down (eg, bench, shoulder press, pec flys) on my shoulder as thats where mine is sore, the mentioned exercises are where i can really feel it being sore.

yesterday i went to park and just kicked a footy around and jumped up to grab ball and the way my arm moved it really hurt the shoulder so now its painful again and am really annoyed coz now its gonna really affect me in gym again.

only time and rehab exercises will help.

today am going to book an appointment at physio to see exactly what i have done. :angry:

theres one exercise that comes straight to mind when i think of shoulder rehab, read it in an article on some random forum few weeks ago n tried it..

basically

get a broomstick or towel and grab a hold of it infront of you, locking your elbows, your grip will have to be quite wide if you have shit shoulder flexibility (most people)

lift it over and to the middle of your back.. so in a 270* motion.. and back to the front..

do like 50 reps of this once your shoulders are a lil bit warmed up or to warm em up and you will slowly but surely fix the problem..

Once 50 reps is ok with a broomstick handle, jump onto something a lil heavier, maybe a metal handle..

Going to give this a go. I have a similar pain in my left shoulder as remotegt. It doesn't hurt when doing most exercises, but usually for 2 days after it hurts alot.

I think I know what you want people to say. YES, they will make your shoulder heal quicker.

Nothing beats regular rehabilitation exercises and regular food (just like mama's cooking) and sleep.

Rotator cuff exercises are recommended. My favourite is with your back to the high pulley, or adjustable pulley, do a movement similar to throwing a ball similar to how they do it in Gridiron or NRL. you can also keep the upper arm in position so that it twists. Also, do the same movement on a low pulley, but facing the pulley and pulling back. Elbow out to the side with the upper arm in a horizontal position. You are rotating the shoulder. You only need 10-15 kgs first, then go up to 20-25 once you are healed. Good idea to warm up with these before benching.

I wouldn't do those broomstick exercises until you've built some strength back first myself, could pull the tear even further, you want it to be tight, not loose. Wait until you don't get pain.

Avoid sleeping on your side. and practice relaxing the back muscles when sleeping.

You also want to make sure you work the upper back and rear delts alot to keep everything in balance.

i have the same injury, rotator cuff, niggily i know, in my left shoulder though .. started about 2 years ago.. when away for a year .. came back and iv had it for the last 6 months. I have been doing specific exercises to help it heal but always seem to tear it again when i do other exercises... cannot do shoulder press at all.

i'v only recently got this problem. since i started learning powercleans and standing shoulder presses. trained shoulders falwlessly before with just racked weights for shoulders. not sure why it happened :@

I'm not surprised by all the rotator cuff injuries on here, if in fact they are rotator cuff.

Rotator cuff injuries were unheard of in relation to weight training injuries until the 1970's. Up until then, Olympic lifting ruled, and the press was still included. When it was dropped from competition, alot of lifters turned to powerlifting and the bench press.

Its the bench press that destroys rotator cuffs, NOT overhead pressing. Pressing overhead is corrective to the problem. The fact that collectively we are piss weak at overhead pressing indicates we have weaknesses in our shoulders. Get off your back and press overhead.

If you claim you cant press overhead yet continue to bench, YOU DO NOT HAVE A ROTATOR CUFF INJURY.

Do specific excersises to strengthen your rotator cuffs as Simon indicated, that is the solution, the prevention is press more often than you bench.

Remote, sounds exactly like me. I have damaged my right one twice now and my left one once in the past three years. All times have been caused by over extension of the shoulder area when diving and landing with my armpit first, with my shoulder taking the weight of my body, take my footy too seriously sometimes. All injuries have been classified as rotator cuff damage, by different physios and docs and not ligament damage. As stated, absolute most pain in the arse injury i have ever had. It affects all muscles surrounding the shoulder if you continue working out at the gym, even if you dont work shoulders. I have been told that the body subconciously works the surrounding undamaged muscles to combat against the pain, as it is such a long term injury in most cases, the muscles learn to protect the damaged area without your control .I am sure that people will disagree with this, but i had trouble with my biceps and traps as well. Physio said that all the surrounding areas were tight due to the injury and worked me bad with the most painful massages ever last time to loosen me up. I will try the exercises that have been provided. Thanks for the help

I'm not surprised by all the rotator cuff injuries on here, if in fact they are rotator cuff.

Rotator cuff injuries were unheard of in relation to weight training injuries until the 1970's. Up until then, Olympic lifting ruled, and the press was still included. When it was dropped from competition, alot of lifters turned to powerlifting and the bench press.

Its the bench press that destroys rotator cuffs, NOT overhead pressing. Pressing overhead is corrective to the problem. The fact that collectively we are piss weak at overhead pressing indicates we have weaknesses in our shoulders. Get off your back and press overhead.

If you claim you cant press overhead yet continue to bench, YOU DO NOT HAVE A ROTATOR CUFF INJURY.

Do specific excersises to strengthen your rotator cuffs as Simon indicated, that is the solution, the prevention is press more often than you bench.

i feel mine when i bench too. it doesn't hurt but it's there. pretty sure i did it learning powercleans. either way it effects my shoulder pressing the most. oddly enough when doing dumbell shoulder presses it's fine, but barbell really twinges it and powercleans hurt at the top of the movement. if it's not a rotor cuff it's a strained muscle somewhere - only had it for maybe 2 weeks now.

i only slightly feel mine during bench or incline bench, should i be switching to overhead press and drop bench out completly?

and it has been diagnosed as rotator cuff.

i have same and i have cut out bench all together for a while, since it only hurts on a vertical push movement when lying down for bench or other similar ones. and have started doing some of the shoulder rehab movements just to keep it moving and make it a bit stronger

seen any improvements mate?

well since i have stopped doing bench its been fairly good, but still hurts if i move it the wrong way. what i have found helps is the exercise posted on here before with the broom stick handle, hold both ends then rotate around from chest to back, then the others with the elastic band things. slowly but surely its getting better, i can still do military press which is good, slowly but surely it is getting better, hope i just dont hurt it again.

heres an article i just found and read on t-nation. Good article about the Rotator cuffand what parts each muscle plays and how to strengthen it up to help avoid future injury

Shoulder Rotator Cuff Article

still farked, but some good is coming out of it, i am doing legs now, which i have never done, as i cant do any shoulders or bench (tried and failed yesterday). Thanks for the exercises, and with physio it is getting better > very slowly though.

basically

Here is the article you are talking about, i wouldn't recommend doing it with an olympic bar though ... :o

http://www.intensemuscle.com/6997-how-cure...time.html?pp=25

I had a shoulder injury for over ten months, it was diagnosed as tendonitis initially but i was unable to complete any overhead pressing or bench pressing movements. I literally could not move the barbell without intense pain. It occured suddenly i recall it being 3.00pm on a friday afternoon. I literally could not press overhead at all. I rested it and after a week saw a physio. He said 4-6 injury and if u were playing afl you would have twice daily phyio sessions and would be good for the next week. He said no pushing actions in the gym and recommended proabably rest pulling actions as well. I continued to squat three times a week. After a couple of weeks treatment he gave me exercises to do with a band which i think is designed to strengthen each head of the shoulder, front, side and rear raises.

After several months my shoulder pain became increasingly worse. I remember trying to find which surgeon was the best to operate on me even before i had my ultrasound taken. The ultrasound revelaed no damage yet i was in lots of pain. I had huge difficulties loading plates onto the bar and ultimately had to stop training in entirety when my shoulder was to painful to hold the bar on my shoulder.

I consulted with heaps and heaps of physios,from final year students to older profeesionals and with afl game day physios. All of were the opinion that all the other physios had no idea what they were doing. After ZERO training for a month or two i came accross the above article. Prior to this the best advice i had been given was by a mate who trains at a certain gym in balaclava who said that a cycle of hgh would fix me in two weeks ;)

In desperation having been failed by modern medicine (i was prescribed heaps of anti-inflams by the GP) and proffessionals

i read the above article . I figured i had nothing to lose. The first day the 50 continuous reps were agonising. The second day just as bad. Third day was feeling very better the broomstick was rotating all the way to my back and touching it. The fourth day was the last time i did it and after that i was back in the gym starting all over again. After 10 months 4 days of that shit fixed me.

Nobody has mentioned supplements yet, that i can see. so here it is, not just for this but for common complaints:

Chronic inflammation: b12, omega 3 (specifically epa), glycine, quercetin, rutin, n-acetyl-glucosamine

Cramps: b3, b5, potassium, magnesium, calcium, sodium

Connective tissue disorders: a, lysine, glycine, c, zinc, n-acetyl-glucosamine

Erection problems (markos): folic acid, c, arginine

Fatigue: co Q10, folic acid, methionine, b12

High LDL cholesterol: beta carotene

High protein oedema: bioflavonoids, quercetin

Generalised inflammation: EPA, c, e, bioflavonoids, bromelain, glycine, histidine, selenium, glutathione, chondroitin sulphate

Leg cramps: c, zinc, glycine, quercetin

Ligament damage: lysine, proline, glycine, c, bromelain

Muscle cramp: magnesium, calcium, e, potassium, sodium

Muscle weakness: d, isoleucine, leucine, taurine, magnesium, e, co Q10

Muscle building: arginine, leucine, isoleucine, valine, zinc, chromium

Muscular degeneration: bioflavonoids, leucine, valine, e, b6, carnosine, creatine

Muscular disorders: b6, e, co Q10

Muscular dystrophy: co Q10, e, creatine, carnitine

Spinal curvature: calcium, melatonin, tryptophan, SAMe, e

Spinal injuries: glycine, threonine, serine, quercetin, bromelain, b12

Hand stiffness: b6

Tennis elbow: b12, manganese

Varicose veins: bioflavonoids, e, c, copper

Any Vegetarians trying to build: b12, taurine, zinc, calcium

hope this helps, if you need dosages or anything let me know

Houghy - I have pains in my knees, think hardcore tennis elbow..but in my knees.

What do I take, how much and how frequently?

I have stopped squatting for the next few weeks to give them a rest, instead I'll just be deadlifting as it doesn't stress them as much.

Thanks,

Erection problems (markos): folic acid, c, arginine
:lol::lol::lol:

Tennis elbow: b12, manganese
Wish i knew about that a few years ago. It often got so bad that i could'nt even hold my racquet.

sorry guys, im never on here anymore. i just dont have time. if you get questions sling me an email its in my profile.

ghosty i would need to see it mate. whats the pain like? where is it? is there alot of swelling? can you bend etc etc.

if i remember correctly you are taking fish oils yeah? if not, start taking 6 grams of omega 3 every day to stop the inflammation, also start adding fresh ginger to smoothies or juices, itll help trust me.

if youre already taking that many fish oil tabs, check the brand and where theyre coming from they may be of poor quality, OR more likely, you have leaky gut and arent absorbing or poor bile secretion.

cool test: when you go to bed tonight, take a glass of water and sit it beside the bed, when you wake up spit into the glass of water before doing anything else. then leave it there while you get ready for work and check it before you leave. if the spit has little legs coming out of it that move towards the bottom of the glass or are suspended in the glass or if the whole thing sinks to the bottom, you have yeast infection. leave it till you get home from work and check it again. 80% of people have poor digestion, leaky gut, bowel dysbiosis or candida. just a thought. especially considering the amount of animal protein you are eating. this WILL affect your knees indirectly. otherwise, come and see me in stones corner on wed or thur morning its free. 8:30-11:30

Look into getting active release therapydone on your shoulder...

also.. gh has wonderful rehabilitive properties from what Ive seen.

Hi houghy,

I take at least 20g fish oil a day, on good days 30g or even 40g, on bad days...I forget to take it altogether :lol:

No swelling, it just 'hurts', like an ache, when it's bad I limp around on it, bending it seems to hurt. I have stopped squatting for a week and a half now, and I think it might be coming right, so I may give it another weeks rest and continue to do deadlifts instead or maybe just work on the overhead squat so it's only a light deep knee bend.

Thanks.

I take at least 20g fish oil a day, on good days 30g or even 40g, on bad days...I forget to take it altogether :lol:

Dude, there is no need to take that much. There can actually be some negative side effects from too much fish oil, as it will thin your blood and increase chances of internal bleeding/bruising etc

There is no benefit than taking more than 10 really....waste of money

if youre already taking that many fish oil tabs, check the brand and where theyre coming from they may be of poor quality

which brands are good?

Dude, there is no need to take that much. There can actually be some negative side effects from too much fish oil, as it will thin your blood and increase chances of internal bleeding/bruising etc

There is no benefit than taking more than 10 really....waste of money

That is not in one go simon. I have 5g-10g throughout the day.

I have never read anything bad about taking too much fish oil/flax seed oil, in fact since you mentioned that, that is the first time I have ever heard a negative thing about fishoil, care to elaborate more? And how much is classed as "too much"?

I just find it hard to believe, because how does you body no where the oil comes from? Whether it be from nuts, fish, seeds, avacado, oilves, isn't 'EFA' 'EFA' when it's inside your stomach, just like a pototato and a cup of rice is carbs?

Ive got the same pain in my left knee ghosty.....too hard too fast. Right wrist is now fubar too. Thats after waiting over 2 years for it to fully heal.

Houghy are you a physio? any after hours consultations?

Heard that 2 Big Fuzzy, unsure about what to use or where to get it from. Looked into a couple of things but they all seem like rip off supplements to me, all claiming big results, whateva that means. Any ideas on type and costs??? Physio has told me not to go down that path, but i am potentially seeing this as a way for him to keep taking my hard earned :yes: . Could be wrong though, thanks for the help