nismoman

Project S13 - Supersprint/Time Attack

I was fitting my cage all weekend, haven't finished it yet because I was doing a whole heap of other crap as well

but one thing that has come to my attention is that the main hoop of this cage is likely going to interfere with my headroom - anyone else had this problem?

I'm 6'8 and I already only just fit into my 180, if I lose 40mm of headroom to a rollcage im screwed

Anyone know the rules for roll cages and sun roof's. All i ever see is s13 roll cage (non sunroof) is it possible to put one in with a sunroof?

Phunky: To answer your question, I got a full cage including front legs for that price. Yes it is for a S13 Silvia. 1992 SR20DET non sunroof model.

Head room is a major problem in the S-series Nissans especially if your 6ft or taller.

I'm just 6ft tall, but when I put a helmet on the room quickly disappears! There is just enough room.

That's why I buy non sunroof cars. The sunroof takes up too much room and adds weight. It's probably the main reason you don't see many sunroof cars with roll cages.

You can fit roll cage/bars to sunroof models, you just need to keep looking or get one made.

I have seen them advertised (private sale) on here before. Safety 21 types.

well its in, I'm only bolting it for now

worst case I'll sell it down the track and use the cash towards a real weld in cage

they don't really show you much more but there's a few more pics available at http://unix.org.au/~brett/type-x/rollcage/ (last 5 or so links)

further to my previous post, being 6'8 headroom was always going to be a major issue

the only reason I'm still able to fit in the car is because I have a bride bucket on super low rails, im seriously considering ripping the rail out all together and bolting the seat to the seat to a small steel frame and bolting that directly to the floor even if it only gives me a centimeter more headroom - its going to be a track only car very shortly anyway

cage.jpg

Edited by teq

Phunky: To answer your question, I got a full cage including front legs for that price. Yes it is for a S13 Silvia. 1992 SR20DET non sunroof model.

Head room is a major problem in the S-series Nissans especially if your 6ft or taller.

I'm just 6ft tall, but when I put a helmet on the room quickly disappears! There is just enough room.

That's why I buy non sunroof cars. The sunroof takes up too much room and adds weight. It's probably the main reason you don't see many sunroof cars with roll cages.

You can fit roll cage/bars to sunroof models, you just need to keep looking or get one made.

Sheez, good price man! May have to give them another call :yes:

Do you have any pics you could put up?

Cheers

Dane

Sheez, good price man! May have to give them another call :yes:

Do you have any pics you could put up?

Cheers

Dane

My roll cage is in, I just need to cut to length my side intrusion bars and finish it off. I will post pics up in the next couple of days.

Then I'll move onto the body and start prepping it for painting.

Cheers

Mark

Yeah.. about that... The Bond Roll cage is excellent, but it does require a fair bit of cutting, drilling and fitting. This does give you a little freedom on how high or low you want the bars.

The main roll hoop goes in and fits like a glove. But the front legs, rear legs and every bloody other bar needs to be cut to length, then drilled for the bolts to go in.

It takes quite a bit of time, because you don't want to cut or drill in the wrong spot.

You do have to cut to angle the rear legs and weld on the rear mounting plates to the back legs also.

All backing plates, clamps, nuts and bolts are supplied but you need to drill the pipes for the bolts to go in and cut to correct length.

Bond Roll Bars told me a little work is required, it's not as straight forward as I first thought.

No big deal, just took more time than I thought to install.

All up it weights 40kgs and is very sturdy. I'll post pics up ASAP.

Sheez, didn't think there would be that much work involved... I was under the impression it was ready to go pretty much, certainly not to the extent of having to cut it down to size.

Thanks for the info mate, much appreciated.

Any pics yet? Sounds like just the sort of cage Im after...at about the price Im willing to pay haha

Sorry guys, I've been having difficulties with work last couple of days. I haven't had a chance to work on the car or get any detailed photos as yet.

I trial fitted my Sparco race seat and it only just fits! Top part of seat touches the main roll hoop. I will look at modifying my custom rails to get it sitting a little lower, approx 2cm should do it. Also, the front legs come down just in front of the dash, they do not go through the dash.

I've allocated tomorrow to work on it, so I will post up some pics of the cage and some progress shots of my S13 project car.

It is a CAMS approved cage, so all I need to do is get it inspected by a CAMS scrutineer and I can get the car CAMS log booked. I figured if I was putting one in, it may as well meet all regs.

Hey man what seat and rail do you have, ive been having terrible problems trying to get a seat/rail combo that fits, doesn't sit reclined and your head doesn't touch the roof on (im not tall either).

Ive got 2 rails and 1 seat and ive gotta make the decision which seat to buy (mine is just a waste of time ive decided, might fix it to my Bluebird instead).

I really want to go a Sparco Corsa, but if they sit too high i might have to resort to a bride low max.

Get a Bride super low rail, and combine it with whatever seat that thin enough to fit in it and you'll sit low enough.

I'm 6'4 and I fit in perfectly with my Recaro SPA and Bride rails. Don't bother with any other rails, it's just a headache.

dane they are reffered to as Super Low rails they are distinguished by the SL on the bottom of the rail ;)

I got a bride bucket on super low rails and my head hits the rollcage when i have a helmet on

I've got another (low profile) helmet on order, yet to see if its going to make any difference

Ive got a LowMax rail (LF), my seat didn't like like that much so I bought a Vision rail from JDM Concept and thats no better.

Phunkey Monkey im guessing your talking side mount seats?

Its all to do with the seat now, bit hard buying a seat though when I would have to order on (no one in tasmania carries stock of anything decent bride, sparco etc).

Finally some pics for everyone to check out.

Hope they upload ok.

First shot is when I first picked it up. Looking pretty dodgy.

In the last few photo's I have completed the installation and primered the roll cage.

Just working on the body now, should be ready for a squirt of paint in another week.

19082007158.jpg

Image000.jpg

Image001.jpg

Image003.jpg

Image009.jpg

Image011.jpg

Image012.jpg

Image013.jpg

Image010.jpg

Some more pics! :)

Not the best photo's (from my mobile phone)

Image002.jpg

Image004.jpg

Image005.jpg

Image008.jpg

Hey man what seat and rail do you have, ive been having terrible problems trying to get a seat/rail combo that fits, doesn't sit reclined and your head doesn't touch the roof on (im not tall either).

Ive got 2 rails and 1 seat and ive gotta make the decision which seat to buy (mine is just a waste of time ive decided, might fix it to my Bluebird instead).

I really want to go a Sparco Corsa, but if they sit too high i might have to resort to a bride low max.

I have a Sparco Sprint fixed back race seat with bottom mounts. The rails I made myself using a combination of universal sliders and standard S13 rails. I cut off the little feet from the standard S13 rails so it fits the contours of the floor pan, then I welded on some plates to join it all together. These plates provided a nice flat platform for the universal sliders to be bolted to. (which of course are bolted to the bottom of the Sparco seat).

The universal sliders take up a bit of height / space. I might eliminate them and settle on a fixed position.

Not a shell. Complete car. Just in many many pieces!!!!

1992 SR20DET manual.

$4k

dane they are reffered to as Super Low rails they are distinguished by the SL on the bottom of the rail ;)

Ahhh yep, that's them! I pulled my seat out last night :)

SKYVIA: Yep, side mounts mate

Nismo: Coming along man! Was that the only way the cage kit came? I thought the front legs would have extended through the dash so it could be tagged to the A-pillar?

phunky: Thanks man, abit of work ahead of me. I asked about the cage when ordering, "Do the front legs go through the dash?" They guy said "No, they come down just in front of the dash. My welded in kits go through the dash and they start at $3,500."

The bolt in cage is supposed to go in and out without chopping up your dash or door trims.

If you were to get a weld in cage would you have to get a licenced/CAMS recognised welder to do this?

phunky: Thanks man, abit of work ahead of me. I asked about the cage when ordering, "Do the front legs go through the dash?" They guy said "No, they come down just in front of the dash. My welded in kits go through the dash and they start at $3,500."

The bolt in cage is supposed to go in and out without chopping up your dash or door trims.

Ahhhh, cool cool.

When I inquired he said it was a weld in kit, so that's probably where some of the price disparity comes from.

I know what you mean with the 'a bit of work ahead of me'. This is my car at the moment...

IMG_8127.JPG

If you were to get a weld in cage would you have to get a licenced/CAMS recognised welder to do this?

Anybody can weld and fabricate a cage. As long as the cage is built from the correct materials and the welds are good quality then it should pass CAMS.

It may be a little more complicated and time consuming to pass but not impossible. However it's probably easier to get someone experienced to do the job.

Use the below address for CAMS requirements for roll cages. Interesting and useful info.

http://www.cams.com.au/downloads/vehicles/...teInfoApr06.pdf

Some progress pics. Before & after photos! Car all prepped for painting, and viola!!

Painted, inside and out including roll cage.

So stoked!!!! :woot:

P1010257.JPG

P1010258.JPG

P1010277.JPG

P1010280.JPG

P1010283.JPG

P1010282.JPG