Sign in to follow this  
m&m

Deadlift cycle

In 1991 I had a deadlift routine nutted out that would allow me to get to a 500lb deadlift with no belt or any assistance gear. I injured my back and didnt complete it. My all time best deadlift is 469lb ( 212.5kg), currently its 463lb (210kg).

Its something I have always wanted to do, and I recently found that old routine in an old training journal, so I am about to embark on this self fulfilling voyage. The deadlift is my weakest lift, my leverages appear poor for this lift, but I will persevere.

A problem I have is a knee that wont allow me to squat, so I am using pretty ordinary form for this, nearly stiff legging it. I started week 1 tonight, it runs for 10 weeks, I will post up the lifts in this thread for as long as my body stands up.

Here is week 1

60kg x 8

60kg x 8

95kg x 5

125kg x 5

145kg x 5

It is meant to start easy, dont race ahead and do more, you have 10 weeks to do this. The only assistance work I did tonight was 4 sets of 20 reps in the reverse hyperextension. I will be doing 1 deadlift session a week.

If you plan on lifting along, please post results on here, I love experiments. It culminates with a 230kg or 507lb deadlift.

My bench press cycle has finished with a 15kg gain in under 2 months, I hope this once is just as succesful.

im on the bandwagon, i could use another 30kgs on my deadlift

results will be as per training journal most likely

ill give it a go. i only do deadlifts once a week now or once every 2 weeks. there so taxing on the body

I was hoping you would jump on Matt, dont sweat the fact that it starts easy, it is set up this way to let you freshen up.

Well done Brendon, hope you enjoy the ride

I'm starting mine on Wednesday, thanks for the photocopy Markos. I'll adjust the weights to suit. What was your PB before you started your program (back in 91) and how much were you hoping to add onto at the end?I was thinking of aiming for a 200kg deadlift, my PB atm is 170kg. Is that too ambitious or is that just right?

I really dont remember what it was, but 30kg sounds okay, even a 15kg increase is a winner in my book

I'm down. I haven't given deadlifts a good go in a while (been sticking with squatting as you recommended).

Do we just adjust the weights proportionately compared to your weights?

15kg would be good, get me over the 400lbs mark, but 30kg would be even better :)

That was my next question, do we adjust the weights proportionately compared to your weights?

Yeah, but I'm not quite sure how you would do it. I suppose you leave the first 2 sets as is and adjust the others percentage wise. Like if you are planning on a 160kg deadlift you would take off 30%. for a 180kg deadlift take off around 20%, that seems to work

Eddie, if you can do 190kg, do the routine as I posted it, you dont do a 190kg deadlift till week 6, but its for a triple.

Got another question :) What would you deem as a realistic goal to set at the completion of this routine? a 15kg increase?

I'm thinking of aiming for 145kg (currently pb is at 130kg)

I reckon anywhere from 15kg to 30kg is achievable in 10 weeks

Fantastic! cheers. Can't wait till wednesday to get started.

Sounds great, will be interesting to see the results. Ill definitely be doing the bench cycle and this cycle towards the end of the year.

You all healed up yet big fella.

should i adjust the weights at all for me, my best deadlift so far is 140kg. should i leave as is? or change?

Yeh not sick any more, my back still isn't 100% to deadlift heavy but its getting better, maybe in 4 weeks ill start deadlifting.

should i adjust the weights at all for me, my best deadlift so far is 140kg. should i leave as is? or change?

Definitely change, you will fail in the first week, 145 x 5. Aim for 160kg-170kg and adjust accordingly

will do.

will that be ok, ill give that a go. ill do it on wednesday

60kg x 8

60kg x 8

90kg x 5

120kg x 5

130kg x 5

No, I would take 30% off all lifts besides the first 2 sets, you are planning on lifting 30% less than 230kg at the end, so you make the adjustment all the way through. That would give you a 160kg dead at the end, if you plan on a 170kg, take 26% off.

Does this look about right Markos?That was 15% off your total.

I will follow the program Jovi posted up starting this week and see how my wrist holds up, if I can get to 190kg by the end that will be a 20kg increase on my PB.

OK this is mine. hope this is ok. i think it will be quite acheiveable. from week 6 onwards will be where it gets tough. coz thats unknown territory for me. but i know i will be able to do it coz of the previous weeks before it.

and we do this once a week and dont do any extra than whats on the program?

EDIT: OK by judging from post below ill scrap this and just take it 1 week at a time then.

Big mistake posting it up Jovi, from my experience 90% of the guys will f**k it up by going too hard too soon.

Thats why I only gave them week 1

ok my thing is now scrapped. ill take it 1 week at a time then.

Taken it off Markos. From looking at it did it look right?

Shaneo what is your target Deadlift at the end of the cycle? say for example if you want a 170kg deadlift by the end of 10 weeks (27.5kg increase)

170/230 = 0.7391

Here is week 1

60kg x 8

60kg x 8

95kg x 5 * 0.7391 = 70.21

125kg x 5 * 0.7391 = 92.39

145kg x 5 * 0.7391 = 107.1695

So based on target 170kg by the end of 10 week cycle your week 1 would look like this:

60kg x 8

60kg x 8

70kg x 5

92.5kg x 5

107.5kg x 5

Shaneo you and me will be the same in what we do. my best is 140kg and i looking to go to 170kg.