Sign in to follow this  
s15rocket

Z32 AFM air flow meter copies and fakes.....Any good?

Found this seller on ebay.

A lot cheaper than the real deal but they seem to sell a lot of them with a positive rating. Anyone got experience with these? No point buying the real deal for twice as much if these do the exact same job without the name branding. Comes with warranty too! So cant be that bad right?

Trying to collect parts for my upcoming tune.

http://www.ebay.com....g-/290903389505

Edited by s15rocket

i suspect I had a fake one. eventually ruined my plugs to the point of flooding on cold start.

Been alot of issues with the copies, better off getting z33/r35 afm.

i suspect I had a fake one. eventually ruined my plugs to the point of flooding on cold start.

Damn....sounds like i'll be forking out for a new z32 then. Cheapest I see on ebay is $285 for a genuine with plug. My instincts told me not to buy the cheap one anyway.

Tell me more about this r35 afm setup? How do I do it? Can you put some kind of adapter pipe and just plug it in the stock position? Or even gut your stock AFM and install the r35 one?

I would be hooking the R35 AFM up to the standard s13 airbox (modified with bottom cut out with K&N panel filter) and standard rubber inlet hose.

Edited by s15rocket

depending on ECU. just replace the voltage vs data tables.

cut and solder the new plug into stock harness. need a card style adapter in the intake pipe, you can buy an 80mm adapter pipe with card slot in it.

do some googling, you will find some information on it...

Just buy a Z32 afm from a reliable source like taarks or a trusted tuner or nissan, no need to go R35 afm unless you have some super special set up, I'm no expert, but stick to the tried n true set up.

I went with an r35 afm setup on my s15, as it was about half the price of the genuine z32 afm at the time. I made 236rwkw on 20psi with the afm nearly maxed out @ 4.7v (currently pushing 22psi @ 4.9v). In hindsight i shouldve just went with the z32 as it has more headroom for boost and power before it maxes out voltage wise.

Just buy a Z32 afm from a reliable source like taarks or a trusted tuner or nissan, no need to go R35 afm unless you have some super special set up, I'm no expert, but stick to the tried n true set up.

Yep. After doing a bit of research on it not worth mucking around with an r35 sensor.

I went with an r35 afm setup on my s15, as it was about half the price of the genuine z32 afm at the time. I made 236rwkw on 20psi with the afm nearly maxed out @ 4.7v (currently pushing 22psi @ 4.9v). In hindsight i shouldve just went with the z32 as it has more headroom for boost and power before it maxes out voltage wise.

Damn. That's not very good that its maxing out on only 240rwkw.

Right now with my t28bb on e85 im looking at a max of 220rwkw but I eventually want to get a bigger turbo and push my stock unopened engine to that magical 260-270rwkw on e85.

So an r35 sensor definitely wont do the job.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

With the R35 sensor, it all depends on the size of the tube it is fitted in. However your 350z AFM mounting is 3" so power is limited. A 4" tube will see much more power.

HPX afm is also a good alternative if you're looking at the r35 afm route. Would go that > z32 these days

Unsure if mine was fake or genuine but it was cheap off ebay. I wired it up wrong and burnt it out before I got the chance to see if it worked or not.

The R35 AFM is the same as used in a number of less desirable Nissans. Search eBay by part number "22680 7S000" rather than R35 to get a much better price. Same AFM in skinny tube runs models like Pathfinder, Murano, pulsar, X-Trail, etc.

Just beware that later models changed to an AFM with a round, rather than rectangle, flange. But the part number is different.

Edited by stockblues15

or just search for hpx in the states... and look at the replacement card style one for z32. they tell me its programmed to the same resolution as the oldschool z32 mas

or just search for hpx in the states... and look at the replacement card style one for z32. they tell me its programmed to the same resolution as the oldschool z32 mas

The only ones I could find were these. Looks like they might fit, but they've been designed for mustangs. Price looks reasonable but not sure if it includes the sensor or just the housing.

Anyway I managed to get a genuine JECS Z32 off gumtree for $120. Still hard to beat a z32, Tried and proven as someone stated above.

http://www.pmas-maf.com/product-category/performance-mafs/direct-fit-oem-style-replacement-mafs/

They tell me it has the same resolution as an original z32.

Take that as it may. They also told me if u think u will max it out they can add 50% or more resolution to the programing within the maf card.

It should plug in as a replacement alternative to the z32.

Biggest plus on the card over the old hotwire from the 80's is idle quality and all round light throttle response.

I rate the r35 maf just its resolution pegs too soon :-(

Don't be a tight arse, a replacement motor cost 20x more than the savings between a fake/copy Z32 and the real deal.

Also with today's technology (re purposed from a R35) you'll be silly to buy a Z32