Sign in to follow this  
200VIA

GOODBYE Just Car Insurance...

Just received a letter from my insurer, guessing this will affect a lot of us on here.

The following was taken from the Just Car Facebook page:

JUST CAR NEWS: As a member of the Just Car community, we wanted to let you know that Just Car Insurance policies will no longer be issued from 13 January 2017.

If you’re a Just Car Insurance customer, nothing changes until you’re up for renewal. You just won’t be able to renew with us from 13 February 2017.

Existing customers may receive alternative insurance offers, so watch your mailbox. For more info, see our FAQs, send us a direct message or give us a call on 13 13 26.

Thankfully I have just renewed, but I'm interested to hear people's alternatives for modified car cover.

Edited by 200VIA

At the start of the week I received a letter from JustCar saying "Your insurance is expiring at the end of December, please call us to renew!", then a couple of days later I received a letter saying "Sorry, but JustCar insurance is closing, we won't offer you insurance!".

I'll be hitting up the NRMA for their vintage car insurance, given I don't drive my car to work, so the yearly kilometers aren't that high.

So what are the options? I've been with shannons for a long time but was thinking to check what else is out there

I swapped from Shannon's to NRMA vintage two weeks ago. My premium went from $790 to $291 per year for very similar conditions and cover. NRMA Vintage permits up to 9000ks per year, use of no more than 2 days a week (how they monitor this I have no idea) and you can't use it for work. You can still choose your own repairer. I have never had any issues when making a claim with either NRMA or Shannons, Those savings will end up paying for the highway robbery that is the CTP greenslip.

You could also try Lumley Special Vehicles who are owned by the same company as NRMA

also in regard the CTP NRMA greens slips are more expensive because they are the only one that cover personal injury to you as the driver, All other green slips only cover personal injury to everyone else which a lot of people don't know.

Edited by gomanji

NRMA Vintage, my shit box cunt of a R33 is fully insured at $14k, I get free road side assist if I'm over 100km away from home and....

premiums are only $360 a year

I got a quote from Shannon's, but it was really expensive.

Sounds like I will be going with NRMA Vintage next time around.

GIO CTP also covers the at fault driver.

That's new , it never used to

Edited by gomanji

GIO CTP also covers the at fault driver.

That's new , it never used to

It's called 'driver cover plus'. They have info for NSW and ACT, so not sure what happens in other states.

Well, after reading a bunch of info about NRMA Vintage, I actually just went with NRMA CTP Fire & Theft. Sounds dumb when you can get agreed-value comprehensive for the same money, but the reality is that there is so much they could knock me back for with their vintage insurance, and there are too many caveats for someone like me that has gone back to owning just one car (despite that car being a on-going project). As long as the other car is covered for repairs, I can re-shell and work out my own repairs.

I think for anyone with a sensibly modified Silvia, and by "sensibly" I'm including kitted, caged, LS1-swapped Silvias, NRMA Vintage sounds like a pretty good deal if it's your second car you drive of the weekend. My problem is that my car deviates too far from stock in unusual areas, such that the NRMA would never attempt to repair it, and they would have no shortage of ammunition to use against me in order to dodge paying a write-off amount. In such a scenario I would be left with effectively TPP insurance to cover the other guy, but with all the driving restrictions of Vintage insurance, the NRMA might be able to wipe out the third-party cover of the insurance too, leaving me with effectively no insurance to pay for that $90k Benz that Murphy's Law ensures will be the one I hit.

Now this might seem like paranoia, but given my recent experiences helping my old man out with a claim he made with GIO for not-at-fault damage, I think it's fair. I was driving my mother's Corolla a couple of months ago whilst working on my car at their place, and some dumbass Red P Plater ran square into the back of the car at 30kmph or less whilst I was stopped at traffic lights. Apparently he was "checking his wallet", no doubt a code for 'checking his mobile phone', and I just "appeared out of nowhere", despite having been sitting at the lights with my foot on the brake for almost a minute. I took photos and my old man lodged a claim with the GIO, against his insurer AAMI.

After a whole bunch of fucking around with the knuckledragging inbreds at the panel beater, the bumper, rio bar, and tyre well were replaced, repaired and painted. However, there was a crack in the tailgate finish, which was presumably caused by the SUV's number plate that was bent in half prior to the impact. The Corolla's tailgate must have been repaired in the past, so there was a thin skim of bondo over paint. Common thing, no big deal; grind it out, skim it and lay down some paint.

Wrong.

The panel beater refused to do it, because he "couldn't guarantee the work" (i.e. he was too lazy to do minor finishing work and the insurer refused to pay for a brand new panel). The 'contract' insurance assessor from GIO also refused to cover the tailgate, claiming that he "saw some dirt on it" (grime from the panel beater's hands) and "therefore it must have been existing damage that isn't covered". After weeks and weeks of fighting GIO, going to the ombudsman, sending multiple photos, and even measuring the bumper height of the same SUV at a car dealership to compare with the crack, GIO finally settled for $750 to "fix it ourselves".

The reason for all that drama was that Suncorp owns both GIO and AAMI, and the 'contract' insurance assessor was employed by Suncorp, so he was playing for both sides. If they go apeshit over minor damage from an obvious accident, and we weren't even at fault, what an assessor would say if they inspected my car is anyone's guess lol.

I also only have third party fire and theft , the main reason is the value they were prepared to cover the car for was no where near enough, so if it ever was written off similar to what you said I would also be in a better position to keep the wreck and re shell or even part out.

Their facebook said that the letters to customers explaining the closure would contain info about alternative insurers - has anyone had a chance to read it yet?

I have it but i just moved house so have not had a chance to open it yet.

I have received the letter, it states that I "may" be offered alternative insurance by Aami when my policy expires. Fat chance. Cunts.

I have received the letter, it states that I "may" be offered alternative insurance by Aami when my policy expires. Fat chance. Cunts.

Same. My policy was expiring on the 24th, and the letter contained nothing more than hopes and dreams, with no hard promises and no missed calls thus far.

I just did a quote today with Shannons on the phone, wasn't really expecting much since I did a quote with them a couple of years ago just after turning 25, wanted to get other prices and compare. At the time, I think they wanted over 1300 a year.

This time when I did it, they pretty much matched what my current Just Car one is. about $850 for premium, $500 excess and they increased the valuation of my car.

Not sure who else I could really go through for insurance on a 180sx, especially being a daily driver.

I did an online quote with NRMA (non vintage) and they wanted $850 premium and $800 excess but they didn't ask anything about mods so not sure if that would be a problem