Sign in to follow this  
nsta

Tinny rattle audible at low revs and moving slowly....s15

Hey guys,

Just replaced the sparks plugs on my s15 don't know if it's coincidence or not, but now I have a tinny/rattle sort of noise coming from the engine bay most notably audible During decelerating but also happens when accelerating at very low speeds like reversing the car or driving around my car park...maybe the sounds is less audible at high speeds. Normally if idle and I rev the car it's hard to hear, but as soon as I start moving I can hear the noise quite well. It does seem to be coming from the passenger side/exhaust side of the engine bay (near the back on cylinder 4 I'm guessing but noise does travel)...

Don't know if this helps but I do smell lot of fuel aswell...don't know if this was the case before but I thought I might add if it helps diagnose.

Any ideas?

Edited by nsta

It's all adding up i think. A little while back my car bottomed out causing the cat converter gasket (engine side) to come loose, i managed to bolt it all back up and it hasn't loosened up since. Could it be the gasket and/or cat may need replacing? The car definitely smells like it's running very rich!

Turbo to manifold gasket is a common issue...Ive replaced mine 4 times over the years

Turbo to manifold gasket is a common issue...Ive replaced mine 4 times over the years

Is there an easy way to test out the cat converter? Or would an exhaust shop be able to check fairly quickly?