Sign in to follow this  
sixtysixa

DIY Paint your brakes

As seen first on: The Boys Night Out :D

The good news is this brake caliper paint will cure and bake under temperature, so we can leave them on and paint then go for a drive. I'm only going to do the fronts today, with no highlighting of the NISSAN logo as I'm just strapped for time. I'll be going away tomorrow for a week and a bit for work - so until then you'll just have to wait. Next weekend though I'll give you the stick-em-up on how to do the rears (which will be the same) and how I'm going to tackle making the NISSAN logo on the front brake calipers white.

Now, ordinarily you could take the calipers off the car, bleeding the brakes in the process which is something I would prefer to do - but since I'm considering upgrading the stock S14a calipers to some kind of big brake kit soon enough, I'll just do it the dodgy way this time around.

In saying dodgy doesn't mean you won't have great results. It's all about preparation and planning.

dscf0192.JPG

Today I've used VHT Brake paint in the appropriate colour. I've used VHT products before (on manifolds and blocks) and I can tell you it IS THE SHIT. VHT = THE SHIT. It is so good, if this can was a woman I would make love to her. No. Actually I would paint my brakes with her. Which is what I did.

THINGS TO NOTE:

1. Normal paint is not really good for this job.

2. Normal paint is not rated to 490'C like this stuff and it will pop, flake and peel off soon enough.

3. You could go flame proof VHT paint (aka manifold / exhaust stuff) which is rated to 1000'C also.

4. Make sure to clean clean clean the surface prior to painting or it wont bond.

5. Once painted, you need to BAKE the paint. This can be done by running the car (if you've done the engine / exhaust) and going for a nice drive. OR in this case, some hard braking. Until you've cured the paint in this manner, the paint will not be completely chemically resistant / chip resistant / set properly.

So I'm sure I don't have to take you through the process of jacking up the car. You know the deal. Undo the bolts on the wheel slightly while it's on the ground, then while they are still tight enough to hold the wheel on the hub, jack the car up. Remember not to rely on a normal jack (found in your boot) to hold the car up safely. Get yourself a trolley jack like I have, available from your local Supercheap or Autobarn for under $50. Mine can do up to 1900kg so that's awesome. If you're smart, you'd probably use axle stands too. Since I'm not getting under the car and I'm lazy, I'm not using axle stands.

That's probably a big no-no but I love to live dangerously.

Now, alot of tyre/wheel places will use a rattle gun on your cars wheel nuts and make it mega f**king tight. I've got a hernia so my strength while high (I am actually a vampire hunter at night time) is much lower then usual. I couldn't get most of the wheel nuts off they were that tight. So I had to use the "MR S" signal flare. He was here immediately with a custom welded tyre star to get this shit off. I use security lock type wheel nuts, so if you do too - make sure to use the key to take them off :P

dscf0178.JPG

So with the car jacked up here is the stock caliper looking f**king ugly. Now you could get carried away and paint the hub too. I didn't. I can't be arsed as you won't see it anyways.

dscf0179.JPG

While not shown in this photo I did get into this bit with a wire brush and brush the excess brake dust off the caliper.

dscf0191.JPG

Once you've done that, get some mineral turps or similar solvent in a rag and wipe the rest off to make the caliper nice and clean.

dscf0180.JPG

Now, go crazy with the masking up. MAKE SURE TO MASK UP ALL LINES ETC. BRAKE LINES AND PAINT DON'T MIX WELL :P I have a fair bit of painting experience and have good can control (how vigilante does that sound, I might go tag some walls later :P) so I just masked up the main areas I wanted to paint. I'm sure I don't have to tell you to paint only when there is no wind, else you'll be doing a cut and polish after this to remove all the overspray on your car and any thing else nearby.

dscf0181.JPG

I did one last quick one with the brush to get anything else.

dscf0183.JPG

Here's a KICKASS tip. If you want to mask up areas that are hard to get at. Use al-foil like I've done here. You can mold it into any place you can't easily get paper or something else into. Wicked.

dscf0184.JPG

Using quick even strokes, start BEFORE the object and end AFTER it. Don't put on too much in one go. Just nice even light paint. Wait a bit between each coat. Let it dry a little. Too much at once and you will have runs and splotches and other shit that will make the ladies think you suck ass.

dscf0185.JPG

Another shot up close. Looking good baby.

dscf0186.JPG

It will be touch dry in a little while depending on how much you put on it. I just used enough to give it a nice even good. As you can see I took the care and attention to get both sides done really well. Once you're ready (or moreso, the caliper is) take all the masking off to show you the finished product.

dscf0187.JPG

Another shot of the done caliper. Looks awesome. Will look even better next weekend when I do the Nissan logos white.

dscf0188.JPG

Time to put the wheel back on. Be careful when you do this so you don't ruin your freshly painted shit hot brake calipers. Put on the nuts at opposite sides obviously. Tighten as much as you can with the star, then when you've lowered the car back onto the ground, tighten again.

dscf0189.JPG

Looking smick.

Now one other thing, you need to understand how this paint works. You need to get out there within a reasonable period of time and bake the paint as mentioned earlier. IF you take the calipers off the best bet is to put them in the oven for a while to bake it under heat.

Now, once you've lowered the car and tightened the nuts go for a quick "slowish" drive around the block and listen out for clicks and bangs etc from the wheels not being on properly. After 2-3kms of hearing nothing and the car behaving itself, jump out and tighten the nuts again.

After baking the paint with some hardcore heavy braking this is the result:

dscf0196.JPG

And here are the rears after the same treatment

DSCF0219.JPG

looks like you have done a pretty good job

nice work mate. ill be doin the same thing in a couple days. good result for not much effort :lol:

i have been wanting to do that to my car, i just a little bummed cause no where around hear stocks the paint i need.

hey guys i did my calipers in red and i want the nissan sign showing.....

i used abit of sand paper but the suface is to rough to get it showing nicely

so white paint i guess using a brush would be the way to go? and what paint to use one that does not wear off...

hope i dont need to get a can of white VHT...

anyways did my calipers and i ended up just sand papering it down..

heres mine

IMG_0275.jpg

I did this same colour also, might change the colour now something different

i did this last week worked a treat thanks for the write up.

Run a fine flat file over the logo. Being alloy it won't take long to get the paint off and the lettering a nice new look. I would then clear coat it to keep the bare alloy looking its best for as long as possible.

definately going to be doing this mod,and theres a few good tips in there with the foil too.Nice write up.

The gold looks boss

for now I'm leaving mine raw alloy so they don't attract attention

Sign in to follow this