Sign in to follow this  
raaydub

3" exhaust too loud on S14 Turbo

hey guys currently i have a 3" full exhaust on my s14 turbo with a high flow cat and DEA performance oval muffler (3" inlet/outlet), currently i dont have any resonators on the exhaust system, and its too loud. What would be my best option to reduce noise? Would adding a mid muffler reduce noise a fair amount or adding a resonator?

Muffler will drop the noise a lot more than a resonator. Is it a daily driver?

yeh i need it as a daily, would it be reduced a fair amount by adding another muffler or would it be easier to just go with a stock 14 catback?

Put a muffler in, the stock system is very restricted. This way ull still have a note as well.

Add a decent mid muffler like a SMB or a Magnaflow, if space permits also a resonator.. I run a mid muffler, followed by a resonator followed by another muffler on a 3.5" system and I can tell you it's quieter than 90% of imports out there

Get a dirty great muffler right at the end of the exhaust, that's the theory yeah? slower velocity exhaust entrance = more effeciant at reducing noise? Been a while.

I run a 3" from the turbo till the rear bumper, where I have an EPA cheater that squeezes to 2.5" with a dirty redback muffler on it. Gets under EPA by 2db and sounds like total ass.

what size mid muffler should i got with? i was thinking 20" length?

Edited by raaydub

go talk to an exhaust shop? or call best mufflers. he has one i linked you thats almost legal noise ?? i cant remember what he told me 5 years ago.

what ever size will fit in the space basically.

Ditch the 'DEA performance oval muffler' and install the biggest oval muffler you can fit in the space, install the biggest mid muffer you can in the space, then install a resonator if it drones after testing the mufflers.

Resonators are designed to attenuate certain frequencies, rather than drop the overall decibel level, so start with them and work your way back.