Sign in to follow this  
winniemau5

New member, and possible Type X owner

Hey guys, new this forum and pretty much new to the whole S Chassis in general!

I am currently looking at a Type X, really well looked after and can vouch for the guy. (a friend of a friends.)

All it is, is needing a clutch replacement.

I am going to take a closer look this week at the engine bay, and for a test drive to hopefully help me make my decision!

What I'm asking is, what would you guys recommend me look at? what things on the engine would be seen as red flags? I want as much input as I can before I make the decision. :)

Also, I've been getting alot of different opinions from my close circle of friends who are all car nuts/enthusiasts.

I'm the baby of the group so they're looking out for me before I choose to go with the Type X. Some are saying "go for it, its clean just maintain it well." and some are saying "nah save up for a more reliable car etc evo, wrx".

I get that it's my choice when it comes down to it, and its always been a DREAM to own a type X ever since I was younger.

So what are your thoughts? (Mind that I do have a stable job and money isn't an issue. I get that if I go down this path, problems will arise and money will be spent on the car no matter if it's an RWD, AWD, FWD car.)

Thanks guys! Hope I can get some good feedback :)

evo, wrx more reliable?

lol. wrx maybe.

How longs it been sitting with a fucked clutch

Did he fuck the clutch trying to do 3rd gear smokeshows or just age?

Does he have a hot sister?

Do you?

Check for rust in the hatch/sills/rubber seals and around the tail lights

see how munted the chassis rails are

How longs it been sitting with a fucked clutch

Did he fuck the clutch trying to do 3rd gear smokeshows or just age?

Does he have a hot sister?

Do you?

Check for rust in the hatch/sills/rubber seals and around the tail lights

see how munted the chassis rails are

HAHA! If he does, i'll be sure to tell you LOL.

Um, the clutch isn't yet fucked. I'd say in about 2-3 months it'll be worn out.

So yeah, it's just due to age.

And thanks! I'll be sure to check that out, thanks mate :)

evo, wrx more reliable?

lol. wrx maybe.

Haha, I have little knowledge about the reliability of these cars, I just assume if you can maintain them well they'll treat you well back.

But thanks for your feedback :)

Yeah your kinda right, only problem is the age of these things now - you'll probably wanna go through and replace a whole bunch of old hoses & just boring shit to make sure it's not going to leave you stranded every other week

ANY car can be unreliable or reliable track car or nannas daily depending on so many factors, allot of people bitch about s chassis breaking but simple fact is that they are 80s/90s sports cars and most of the owners have probably given the cars some stick, plus i look at things breaking as education when you have to fix it yourself

Apart from that id check compression id drive it feel if anything feels loose and id jack the car and look for any bush movement etc

ANY car can be unreliable or reliable track car or nannas daily depending on so many factors, allot of people bitch about s chassis breaking but simple fact is that they are 80s/90s sports cars and most of the owners have probably given the cars some stick, plus i look at things breaking as education when you have to fix it yourself

Apart from that id check compression id drive it feel if anything feels loose and id jack the car and look for any bush movement etc

Yeah I hear that a lot too, but I'm always a bit sceptical to believe anyone thoroughly, I would like to experience it for myself knowing the risks already buying an S chassis. If it breaks, it breaks. A learning curve that I can learn from and be more knowledgeable about it!

Thanks for that! Will be sure to take a look under the car when i go view it :)!

keep in mind the vast majority of S-cars that are imported were more than likely wound back AT LEAST once, and engines can be in any kind of condition.

that said, i have heaps of Kms on mine and compression is healthy and its only ever munched a water pump and a radiator.

• Upvote 1

Do it man 100%

As already mentioned, comp test and check for rust.

Everything else is replaceable/upgradeable and a learning experience.

Check for rust in boot, crushed chassis rails and crease in front wheel wells.

Due to their age and most owners not maintaining them will generally need suspension bushes, gaskets and seals, vac and water hoses, replace all fluids.

If its what you want go for it.

A standardish s chassis with good suspension is a lot of fun.

Follow your dream!

I want a Type X at some point when I get settled and on my feet.

Not sure how much you guy suffer with rust over there plus with it being an import its probably less of a worry but worth keeping an eye out, check strut tops, sills, rear pockets in the rear arch, bootlid etc.

But then its usual wear and tear items, bushes, clunky CV's, noisy gearbox, white/blue smoke from exhaust, odd noises from the engine etc

Just be vigilant and good luck and be sure to post is of it if you get it :)

Follow your dream!

I want a Type X at some point when I get settled and on my feet.

Not sure how much you guy suffer with rust over there plus with it being an import its probably less of a worry but worth keeping an eye out, check strut tops, sills, rear pockets in the rear arch, bootlid etc.

But then its usual wear and tear items, bushes, clunky CV's, noisy gearbox, white/blue smoke from exhaust, odd noises from the engine etc

Just be vigilant and good luck and be sure to post is of it if you get it smile.png

Thanks for the tips mate! :)

Hey, let dreams become reality! Get that Type X!

I'll be sure to post it up if I decide to purchase it :)

thanks again!

Its just a face lifted 180.

I mean, i have one, but its not like you cant spoof it with second hand parts.

Type x is the only s chassis id consider not having my s14a for real sexy

To each their own I guess! :)

Have a look for cracks in the front suspension towers down low as well, if it's had stiff coilovers put in it can get stress cracks through there

spoof

stop licking your lips

Hey guys! Just an update, looked thoroughly through the car this week.

Heres what I could find also what my mate (mechanic) could tell me.

Engine mounts need replacing, clutch is still grabbing but will probably slip soon.

Water pump is new and installed recently.

New R32 Brakes.

Bushes are stable.

A tiny bit of an oil leak which the seller has notified me already.

Provided new seals in the deal we made.

All in all, I am happy to say I've put a deposit for the Type X.

Really looking forward to when it's in my driveway and completely mine so I can finally say I officially own one!!!

THANK YOU FOR EVERYONES HELP AND ADVICE.

Will post up photos soon when I get the car, and will become a regular in this forum!

Thanks again!

Hey guys! Just an update, looked thoroughly through the car this week.

Heres what I could find also what my mate (mechanic) could tell me.

Engine mounts need replacing, clutch is still grabbing but will probably slip soon.

Water pump is new and installed recently.

New R32 Brakes.

Bushes are stable.

A tiny bit of an oil leak which the seller has notified me already.

Provided new seals in the deal we made.

All in all, I am happy to say I've put a deposit for the Type X.

Really looking forward to when it's in my driveway and completely mine so I can finally say I officially own one!!!

THANK YOU FOR EVERYONES HELP AND ADVICE.

Will post up photos soon when I get the car, and will become a regular in this forum!

Thanks again!

Hey nice work new guy, at least they're an easy-ish car to fix anyway

also they do nice skids

• Upvote 1

Hey nice work new guy, at least they're an easy-ish car to fix anyway

also they do nice skids

Thanks ! :D

Another type x owner here.

I've owned an s15 before having my type x. A few observations. Type x is older, feels more clunky, more old car squeeks, etc, interior not as modern. Type x sits lower to the ground for some reason than the s15 and its got nothing to do with suspension (i have stock suspension) and it barely clears the 100mm minimum for lowest point of the car. The car feels lighter on the road in the general than an s15. The doors feel cheap, because theyre so light. Overall Im loving my type x but it definitely feels like an older car. Always wanted to own one, they just so hard to find one now but they look awesome!. Expect to pay a high price if you want a decent one with all the full factory aero kit still intact. Mine was 16k and most decent ones will not sell for less for 14k now.

Edited by s15rocket

I've owned an s15 before having my type x. A few observations. Type x is older, feels more clunky, more old car squeeks, etc, interior not as modern. Type x sits lower to the ground for some reason than the s15 and its got nothing to do with suspension (i have stock suspension) and it barely clears the 100mm minimum for lowest point of the car. The car feels lighter on the road in the general than an s15. The doors feel cheap, because theyre so light. Overall Im loving my type x but it definitely feels like an older car. Always wanted to own one, they just so hard to find one now but they look awesome!. Expect to pay a high price if you want a decent one with all the full factory aero kit still intact. Mine was 16k and most decent ones will not sell for less for 14k now.

If you barely clear 100mm and have stock struts, you almost certainly have cut springs or aftermarket springs. Stock ride height easily clears 100mm, having previously set my car to Whiteline's "optimal height" which is lower than stock, and I had no clearance issues.

If you barely clear 100mm and have stock struts, you almost certainly have cut springs or aftermarket springs. Stock ride height easily clears 100mm, having previously set my car to Whiteline's "optimal height" which is lower than stock, and I had no clearance issues.

The front seems low on mine for some reason even though I don't have lowered springs cut springs. The back of the car is high. I think maybe the struts have collapsed at the front or something. I need to look into why its sitting so low at the front. Seems to handle okay though.

The struts won't factor into it, as it's the springs that determine the static height, and had the strut piston or body collapsed you would likely have no damping (and terrible handling).

It could be worth measuring the gap between coils and comparing it to the rear, then go to a wreckers selling S13 suspension and compare it to that. Perhaps the springs were heated to create droop instead of being cut? Alternatively, just replace the front struts and see how things improve.

Just to check, you aren't running tyres of vastly different sizes and profiles front and rear?

The struts won't factor into it, as it's the springs that determine the static height, and had the strut piston or body collapsed you would likely have no damping (and terrible handling).

It could be worth measuring the gap between coils and comparing it to the rear, then go to a wreckers selling S13 suspension and compare it to that. Perhaps the springs were heated to create droop instead of being cut? Alternatively, just replace the front struts and see how things improve.

Just to check, you aren't running tyres of vastly different sizes and profiles front and rear?

Alright I'll check that.

They are the stock wheels. Same size on both front and back. Toyos 205/60R15 on front and back. I saw another type x parked in shopping centre today. The gap between the wheel and wheel arch was huge compared to mine. Something weird going on with mine for sure. Maybe they are chopped after all.

They are the stock wheels. Same size on both front and back. Toyos 205/60R15 on front and back. I saw another type x parked in shopping centre today. The gap between the wheel and wheel arch was huge compared to mine. Something weird going on with mine for sure. Maybe they are chopped after all.

Nice work. Usually the simplest answer is the correct one, so they probably have been chopped. Nothing a set of 4 mild lowering springs, a spring compressor, a 1/2" socket set and a Sunday afternoon can't fix!