Sign in to follow this  
Mr_Boof

Flex Fuel Queries

I received an email from my tuner today about flex fuel setups. I have the setup in my car, but ran out of time to tune the E85 component of the tune. He just saw a video run by Wolf EMS about flex fuel sensors and how they might not be what they are advertised as.

What are your thoughts on the below and has anyone had any issues with their flex fuel system?

http://www.wolfems.com.au/events/mixing-fuels

Cheers,

Remember, your fuel tank doesn't have funnel that collects rain water.

I have tuned several flex setups, no dramas at all. The sensors are accurate and it's up to your ECU to blend/interpolate the compensation tables.

Nistune, Haltech have much better flex control, Adaptronic (however basic) does the job too by a simple linear interpolation where as the other ecus mentioned you can setup a curve/exponential graph as you will.

Also here's a good thread you can read about flex and shit I started & contribute too... also don't use Wolf.. I hate them with a passion:

http://nissansilvia....=2442408&st=120

Edited by Johnnilicte

Thanks Johnnilicte. My car has Nistune in it so hope to get that all finalised soon.

What I found really interesting with it though, is that even after running one or maybe two tanks of fuel, you are still not going to get 100% E85.

As for the water contamination, whilst the vehicles don't have rain funnels as you say, I am a bit skeptical about the E85 in the underground tanks at some servos. Mainly that they open the tank tops to check levels and refill etc, and E85 is incredibly Hygroscopic so there could be some contamination in the fuel. Is this negligible? Possibly but I don't know

I did find it very interesting that the sensors themselves are Hygroscopic sensors and not Ethanol sensors. That part really got me thinking.

As to the debate about Wolf ECU's, well......heard all about it from years ago. Maybe they have turned a new leaf and are developing some great products? I don't know as I have never ever looked at using anything Wolf myself.

If the sensors were so susceptible to false readings, why are the sensors actually made in mass production for mass produced vehicles? As after all the sensors come from factory cars.

These sensors are used in oem applications, if they weren't any good or inaccurate they wouldn't use them.

Anything between E50 to E85 is will have similar knock suppression and low combustion temperature characteristics... of course with less ethanol you gain more economy too.

After running my 98RON tank nearly dry and filling up twice on United E85, I'm currently on E82.. more than good enough... but the beauty of a flex setup I can blend fuel too if I'm going to and from the race track.