The Big Fist

Z32 vs Z33 Vs RB25 Vs ? Gearbox Options

Exactly !

I would machine up a new entire connector. This is what Gktech has done. They dont cut and shut the original linkage. This is how they can move it so far forward.

You could then drill new holes in the billet shifter mounting plate. However on this particular plate it is angled where you want to drill the new holes .Can be done but not worth it.

The issue (for me) is with those adjustable top plates puts me off the aftermarket shifters. I'd like a closer inspection of a stock shifter.

edit

2016-05-07_11.24.01.jpg

This part, bottom left.

Edited by The Big Fist

In the annotated image, the whole piece between 1 and 2 arrows can be remade a lot shorter. That is how xcessive make the Z32 conversion.

http://xcessivemanufacturing.com/index.php/nissan/240sx/sr/trans-and-drivetrain/nissan-drivetrain-chassis-engine-vg-trans-n-vg-sb-s.html

and is useable with the stock Z32 shifter (I didnt know until after I bought their short shifter, which was fucking horrible). Everything else from XM was perfect. Z32 box conversion literally "just bolted in", despite using someone elses cut-n-shut bellhousing,

The budget kits (nigel/mazworx) didn't replace this piece, which is why their shifter comes out of the ash tray.

The starters lip seems to fit ok on mine?

This is one of there latter batches I know the early ones has some issues that required machining to fix.

20160907_165541.jpg

20160907_165556.jpg

Did you try putting the bolts in ?

It could be mine was one of the earlier ones. I think I ordered and received around April.

Have you not fitted yours ?

Be interesting to see what instructions you got in yours ? I had the old ones. Did you get the new ones ?

Following this thread. I've got a CD009 at home waiting to be installed, i'm going to be using a bolt on engine adapter plate from Speedtek Auto Racing Parts to bolt it up to my built CA18DET, along with the GKTECH crossmember, and short shifter kit once it arrives. Benn told it should bolt up with no cutting / no tunnel bashing... *fingers crossed*

Good to see others running this box with some success!

actually, just a thought, is there any reason you cant modify the linkage to avoid cutting the tunnel?

Dunno what all these bits are called, but if you had the end of the shifter (1) connected straight to part (3) surely that would get the shifter further forward as it would get rid of part (2)

Youd need to cut part 3 and turn the tabs 90degrees and reweld and make a new bracket to bolt to the gearbox and hold the middle of the shifter, but that doesnt seem particularly hard. Im no engineer but it seems like an obvious simple solution, any reason it wouldnt work??

If you look at it side on as opposed to top on, it might make more sense. When you look at it side on, with the shifter included as well. The shifter pivot is fixed. When you push the top of the shifter forward into 3rd gear, the bottom goes backwards, pulling (2) and the shaft on (3) out of the gearbox. Also they are both moving in an arc. The shifter top goes down slightly, and the bottom (1) moves up slightly. The linkage (2) pivots at (1) and (3) to achieve this. You should also note that (2) and the shaft from (3) into the gearbox are not in a straight line (2) droops slightly.

Now again if you look at everything from the back of the shifter. When you push the shifter left (towards 1st and 2nd), the bottom goes to the right. This rocking action rotates the shaft (2) and (3). If shaft (2) weren't drooping as we noticed when looking side on, it couldn't be pushed to the side. If you removed (2) outright, (3) can't rotate AND move sideways which is what the shifter is trying to do to it. The only way to get it to work is on a left/right motion of the shifter, it would have to pivot at point (3) to get the shaft to rotate, BUT a forward back motion on the shifter would have to pivot above point (3). This is all doable, but you can't use the 'simple' ball pivot that the shift lever is using by default. So it requires more work there. Depending on how you do it the left and right throw may be too much as well. With the standard arrangement, the angle that the shifter rotates left and right is less than what the shaft rotates.

Also a very short linkage (2), results in the gear knob rotating along the axis of the gear lever as you turn it left and right. possibly not noticable or something someone cares about.

That Gktech kit is a good way of doing it. It cuts off (3) and bolts on the L shaped piece which hangs below the shaft. The ball on the end of the shifter slides vertically in the L shaped piece so it handles that misalignment, and the fact that the pivot it forms is now below the centerline of the shaft now means it can move left and right to rotate it.

Edited by rhocken

Good points, yeah it is a bit more complex than i thought...

Hey The Big Fist, I have a stock Z34 shifter and it has one of those adjustable top plates so that the reverse lockout can be set properly. I'll try to find pic on my computer tomorrow (I'm away currently) or pages from the service manual. I'm pretty sure the shifter setup is the same or very similar between z33, z34, g35(?) and g36.

Ignore the relocated shifter in this pic (had been rotate 180deg) but it shows the stock shifter and guide plate installed in a billet shifter bracket on the left and the standard shifter bracket on the right.

IMG_1349.JPG

These are selected pages out of a 370z service manual. They show the exploded view of the shifter setup and the procedure for setting the guide plate. The standard shifter uses a large plastic cup and spring for locating the ball of the shifter and allowing for the downward movement required for the reverse lockout, the guide plate then sandwiches the shifter in place and allows for adjustment of the reverse lockout - I assume for wear and tear.

shifter exploded view.JPG

setting guide plate.JPG

Thanks 1200ute, That shift control procedure is exactly what I was after.

Is that gearbox going into your ute ? Got any pics or build ?

1200ute - should be quite the little weapon mate! looks good !

how does that z33 box shift with your bracket? all the gears shift as they should and reverse is all setup?

i have read your thread before, love seeing people make those little things rockets !

TAARKS is now making adapters as well now

Z34 370z Gearbox to SR20 Adapter Kit

From an idea, to a CAD design to a 3D printed prototype. All done in house at TAARKS.

Now time to machine one, fit it and test it.

This plate uses all the original locating dowel positions to ensure perfect alignment. A carefully thought out design means that we can achieve the correct spline engagement with the clutch plates and spigot bush.

14317514_819075254862751_8109166143326867922_n.jpg?oh=4a09ea8e8a7045f237ca26233307b859&oe=586C639A

14316812_819075321529411_4232214244352517_n.jpg?oh=3f133d3fc4057b45fd46f83c53a27143&oe=587A8447

14322726_819075318196078_8335216327285534616_n.jpg?oh=07e492f753aa4051781fcc54f38c6411&oe=586E2E77

Interesting. If it can get away without bashing the tunnel and the shifter can be manipulated into the stock position it'd be a winner for me...but both seem unlikely...

Highly unlikely, the z34 box looks almost same size as the z33, and the adapter spaces the whole gearbox backwards so it will likely require some bashing

Same as Z33 it sounds like. Need to remove the bell housing and machine it down.

So far Mazworx seems to be the most "bolt on" setup.

No problem mate.

I plan to put the gearbox in my ute eventually but the engine is pretty mild at the moment and the car isn't on the road.. I have a build thread on here which is pretty up to date. http://www.nissansil...howtopic=476588

That's awesome mate. Love the old Datto's.

Good luck !

Scotties15

Scotties15 - yeah it shifts properly and the reverse lockout works. As it isn't mounted properly (just using all thread to space up the adapter) the mount is not rigid and is not a finished product. It would also sit the shift very high in my car and require a large hole in the tunnel.

Cheers Big Fist.

ns is dead as dead but...

Serial 9 shifter assembly fits with no cutting to the tunnel according to the net.