Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
87sf

Electrics died while driving

Recommended Posts

Today started pretty bad and ended even worse.

180sx, 1990, CA18det...

 

This morning just before I got to work I realised my car was over heating... Turns out the radiator split and water was coming out. Not that huge a deal, caught it before anything major happened.

 

On the way home (short couple of km with fullish radiator and cool engine) all the electrics died. Once I rolled to a safe area on the side of the road i heard a very fast "ticking" sound so I disconnected the battery to prevent arcing and fire. I later realised it was some noise made from turning on the hazard lights. They didn't work but a solenoid or something was going crazy.

Now the only electrics that seem to work is the clock.

All fuses are fine. Battery is fine.

 

Any help would be great please.

 

87sf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do not assume the battery is fine; put some jumper leads on it and test, or better still, swap the battery with one from a working car and test. I've had issues in the past that were caused by the battery, despite the battery seemingly being ok. One of the telltale signs of a battery problem is having insufficient current to crank the car, wind down the windows or do much of anything. The clock is the exception as it's an LCD, and compared to any of the incandescent globes in the car, it uses almost no power.

 

Also, pull ALL your fuses and test them for continuity with a multimeter. This includes the box fuses. Clean all your Earths and battery terminals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that I think of it further, I'm fairly sure I've had the same relay 'ticking' sound and 'clock only working' happen to me in the past, and it was caused by the battery. Charge it, hook up jumper leads and test. If the battery is old, just replace it for a Champion battery with warranty, to completely eliminate the possibility. Replacing an old car battery is never money wasted, as it is a consumable part with a finite service life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your input. My concern is that it happened instantly. Could the car blow the battery like that. Just after I put the same battery in another car and it had deteriorated it to the point where the other car wouldn't start but it would still crank and lights and all would work.

 

I pulled all the fuses and no issues there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a battery go on my motorbike, hit the starter button and heard a pop noise, thought the main fuse had blown but it was the battery, they can do weird things

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×