Sign in to follow this  
ycopy

Grey Sludge....

So...dropping the oil out of a SR i have most oil flowed out well, black used oil...but then when i tilted the motor sideways to really drain it before flipping it (on engine stand) over to remove the sump i found some grey sludge coming out....so i dropped the pan and yeah..shes a bit thick... i have no idea how long the engine was sitting before i got it, there was a little surface rust on the cams that ive cleaned up....

compression seems to be ok, haven't done a proper psi test but feels ok when trying to hand crank.

I feel that i need to pull the head off and at very least change the head gasket... crank ect look clean enough, eg no sludge up there...

comments??

post-50504-0-88427100-1451376803_thumb.jpg

post-50504-0-85313700-1451376812_thumb.jpg

yeah there is a little, it could be wd40 that was sprayed down on the plugs to remove them. here is a pic of some of the sludge in a jar.

post-50504-0-30962600-1451378676_thumb.jpg

Could be just condensation from sitting around.

My last sr was like that, just cleaned the cams then tipped oil throughthe engine a couple of times. Was fine

• Upvote 1

As Bling said. From the second pic it looks like the sludge is only on the bottom on the pan and not through the rest of the engine. Give the pan a thorough clean with degreaser then put new oil in with a bottle of engine flush. Let the engine run and clean any crap that might be sitting in the engine then replace the oil with new oil.

Agree with the others, looks like water and contaminates that have accumulated in the sump while it sat...

Ive taken the sump off and checked inside. looks very clean. Im a bit happier now. ive cleaned the pan out with degreaser and kero..looks great now. there were no metal shavings in the sludge or stuck to the pan.

Thanks everyone for your responses. Ill give it a flush with oil while its on the stand and re do once it goes in the car.

Cheers

Edited by ycopy

engine flush is a bit of a gamble! Honestly I regret using it in my engines in the past. I think a bottle of cheap gtx for about $10 is a better option when trying to clean an engine out :)

engine flush is a bit of a gamble! Honestly I regret using it in my engines in the past. I think a bottle of cheap gtx for about $10 is a better option when trying to clean an engine out :)

Really why is that? I always use a bottle of engine flush every time I get new oil.

It consist of harsh degreases that end up reducing the shear strength of the oil. Thats pretty much the whole idea of an engine flush to thin out and remove the old oil but you no longer have the protection (or its dramatilicly reduced) on bearing surfaces. Also there is the possibility that sludge can move around get picked up and block an oil gallery somewhere.

I would no longer use it on engine that are pushed hard as bearing life is really important to me.

Every oil change is excessive and if you read the bottle idle only no load! I wonder why :o

It consist of harsh degreases that end up reducing the shear strength of the oil. Thats pretty much the whole idea of an engine flush to thin out and remove the old oil but you no longer have the protection (or its dramatilicly reduced) on bearing surfaces. Also there is the possibility that sludge can move around get picked up and block an oil gallery somewhere.

I would no longer use it on engine that are pushed hard as bearing life is really important to me.

Every oil change is excessive and if you read the bottle idle only no load! I wonder why :o

Every 10,000km's I have a bottle of oil flush put into the old oil prior to being emptied and replaced for new oil. The engine is at running temperature prior to the flush going in and the engine is only idled for a small time specified on the back of the bottle. I shouldn't have any problems with sludge since I use flush on a regular basis and shouldn't have too many problems with the wearing of bearing surfaces since the engine is only ran for a small period of time at no load.