Sign in to follow this  
TubbyTaylor

Turbo Timer

Hi Guys

I have just bought an S15 Type-R - It has a turbo timer in it, but it does not appear to be functioning. it looks like a cheaper type that i don't recognize.

Could someone please give me suggestions for a solid (not horribly expensive) replacement. (and any other parts that need to go with it) also a how to install? if one exists.

(Also how i might go about removing the existing one, which i know is hard with the lack of details i have of how it is installed. General tips would be appreciated)

Much appreciated.

Do you consider it necessary for oil cooled turbos like t518z?

Don't be fooled, you need one or your turbo will blow up. Get a new one and mount it somewhere where cops can see it when you get pulled over. That way the cops know your a enthusiast who takes care for his car and they will leave you alone. Trust me a friend of a friend told me and they would know their stuff because they work in the automotive isle at cheap as chips.

Who even turns their car off? The brown noise generated by the blast pipes wards off any police that get close

turbos that are both water cooled and oil cooled do not benefit from a turbo timer.. they're so wanky

even Honda N/A owners have them, but they're called AUTO TIMERS lol

even on the track I just punish my car, then do 1x cool down lap head back to the pits and motor off... don't see it dying.

Turbo timers were a thing once in the 80s/90s.

you dont need them any more, and if you are especially concerned then you just drive sedately for the final 5 minutes of your journey.

how does your car cool down if your turbo timer keeps the car on? makes no sense

your car cools more effectively if it is running than if it is off. this is why you do a cooldown lap on the track - your cooling system works more efficiently with air passing through the radiator at speed than sitting still, and cools better (to thermostat temp) while idling rather than turned off. same goes for your brakes.

if you had an aftermarket temp gauge in your car, you would see the water temp rises when the car is turned off as its no longer flowing through the radiator.

If it's a road car it's not required, if you do circuit stuff it's not required because you do a cool down and let your car run for a many minutes after. It's nit nessarsary but is better to let it idle after seeing such high temps. A street car driven hard does not require one.

If it's a road car it's not required, if you do circuit stuff it's not required because you do a cool down and let your car run for a many minutes after. It's nit nessarsary but is better to let it idle after seeing such high temps. A street car driven hard does not require one.

more respect points when your stanced up Honda turns off automatically with noone in it

Alright, Thanks guys, This is my first car of this type, and am not overly familiar with things like this. But lesson learnt.