Sign in to follow this  
B00sted180

Fabricating a S13.4 Hybrid Valve Cover

I picked myself up a S13 and S14 rocker cover and wanting to make a hybrid 13.4 rocker cover. I require the front cut off both and the S13 front welded onto the front of the S14 but unsure who to take it to, to have the job done. Throw us some recommendations and hopefully I'll get it done before the weekend.

Edited by B00sted180

I Google their address and got 4/48 Marrow Road, Lonsdale. When I got there, their closed up. I asked the caravan place next door and apparently they have been closed for years. I either need their current address or a alternative place.

Edited by B00sted180

I ended up dropping into Lonsdale Sheet Metal and they were happy to do the job for me and should have it done this afternoon. I should be able to post some pics of their work tonight hopefully.

what's the benefits of having a hybrid 13.4 rocker cover ?

S13 rocker cover doesn't have internal baffling where as the S14 does. With the internal baffling it prevents oil leaving the rocker cover and redirects it back onto the camshafts. I'm hoping to eliminate my catch can to allow for a cleaner engine bay.

All done. I asked about cleaning up the weld so its flush but was told it will weaken the cover but can be over come by strengthening the inner weld. Was suggested to make sure it fits without any problems before going ahead and spending more money on it.

20150723_1905021.jpg

20150723_1905161.jpg

20150723_1905311.jpg

20150723_1905471.jpg

Theres plenty of peno in those welds, not to mention the cover will be bolted down so it should be fine to grind back to make smooth again.

I tried installing the cover on tonight and ran into a problem, it doesn't fit with rocker arm stoppers. Looking though pics on the internet I see its a common problem for S14/S15 covers but everyone seems to approach the problem differently. Some remove just enough the allow the RAS to slip in where as others remove the whole piece flush with the baffling plate. My guess is that it's there for a reason but should I remove what is needing to be removed or just remove the whole lot and will it have any effects?

Below shows what needs to be removed

20150728_1922372.jpg 20150728_1923072.jpg

I'm thinking I have 3 options

1. Cut what requires to be removed

dsc00274smlod1.jpg

2. Cut that little bit extra to make it clean and even

D4F61ED7-5C84-42D8-A93D-CD965645D011_zpsdes8hjfh.jpg

3. Cut the whole lot

photo-007x (1).jpg

TF Works make 13.4 covers and remove the whole lot so I'll probably just go that route.

I have cut the whole thing off 2 of my motors

Did you find that you had any problems with this section below fowling on a RAS bolt?

CIMG2913 (1).jpg

I'm going to maybe give Eleven-Ten Engineering a go with the remaining work needing to be done. They seem to be good with cutting and shutting gearboxes so I'm sure they can tackle my little job with ease. Their located on North East Road, St Agnes, only around the block from where I stay in Adelaide rather then going all the way back down to Lonsdale. Who has used them and can give feedback on them?

Yah you'd buy yourself a dremel for that money, then you'd have a dremel. Pretty hard to f* up

Got the outer weld cleaned back flush and the inner weld strengthened and got the piece which fowls with the rocker arm stopper removed completely.

20150813_0940101.jpg

20150813_0940391.jpg

20150813_0940511.jpg

20150813_0941051.jpg

Now all that's needed it to be painted. Going to match it with the body and go the same Kawasaki green my current rocker cover is.