Sign in to follow this  
wozza

braided hose questions

It’s time to bite the bullet and get some braided hoses for my redtop SR20DET for when I reinstall my GT2871. I’ve done a search and read a lot of posts but I still have a few questions.

There seem to be a few different versions of braided hoses for the S13 SR20DET. Vigoperformance have banjo fittings on both ends, Kinugawa and Mamba use banjos just for the water hoses and Earls and Aeroflow have 90 degree fittings on the turbo ends and straight fittings on the block ends. Which fittings work best? Is there enough room around the turbo for banjo fittings, especially on the oil feed hose?

Can the oil feed hose be installed at the turbo end after the turbo is in the car? I’d like to check the oil flow from the hose before I attach it to the turbo (oil flow problems killed my last turbo). I guess I could also leave the hose off at the block end only and attach another piece of hose to the block to check oil flow.

There is already a restrictor in the centre bearing locator pin with BB turbos, so is another restrictor needed in the braided hose fitting? I can’t see the point in having two restrictors.

Earls are about double the price of the others so if the hoses with banjo fittings work then I’d like to give them a try.

Vigoperformane kit for S13 with BB.JPG

Earls kit ebay $195.JPG

I used the earl's lines for my turbo. I'm unsure if they are any different in quality from the banjo style. I do know I found it easiest to install the lines onto the turbo, then install the turbo back onto the engine. Once the turbo was back in I then installed the lines to the block. I didn't put any restrictions in with the previous S14 bush bearing I had or my current 5130 and haven't had any problems yet.

^ I second this. I'm not a big fan of the aluminium fittings, and I had leak issues with one that suffered a slight knock. Banjo fittings with new crush washers are pretty bulletproof really, but how good the Chinese fleabay ones are I have no idea.

i find the banjo fittings are way easier to install

Good to know. So the banjos don't place the hose too close to the hot turbo? That's one of the things I was worried about.

I used the earl's lines for my turbo. I'm unsure if they are any different in quality from the banjo style. I do know I found it easiest to install the lines onto the turbo, then install the turbo back onto the engine. Once the turbo was back in I then installed the lines to the block. I didn't put any restrictions in with the previous S14 bush bearing I had or my current 5130 and haven't had any problems yet.

Thanks. It's weird they seem to include an external restrictor with most kits.

Edited by wozza

^ I second this. I'm not a big fan of the aluminium fittings, and I had leak issues with one that suffered a slight knock. Banjo fittings with new crush washers are pretty bulletproof really, but how good the Chinese fleabay ones are I have no idea.

Yeah a few people in the threads I read had problems with the aluminium bends. I'd rather trust stainless steel fittings for my oil feed. I'm thinking of buying from ebay seller Vigoperformance as at least they're in QLD and if I need to return it it's not too far to send it back.

Edited by wozza

My kinugawa lines wept coolant.

My earls line do not leak.

Interesting...where were the Kinugawa hoses leaking from - where the hose was crimped to the fitting?

I have GKTech earls lines and have swapped them between two different turbos without any issue.

they definitely make reinstallation easier compared to factory lines, though any flexible should have that benefit.

/\

Yeah that as well as better oil flow to turbo. It sounds like either version can leak then : (

I've also been looking into the cost of making a set myself and it doesn't seem too hard to do but the cost of genuine series 200 Speed Flow fittings and Teflon hose is huge and you'd only save around $50 compared to buying the EARLS set (worked it out to around $147 in parts). Are there any cheaper brands of hose/fittings that people have used to make their own lines with success?

A good vid on making Teflon hoses:

Edited by wozza

I bought my oil feed line from midnight mods and made the water lines and oil drain myself using Russell performance fittings. It was for a CA18 though and I wanted black/silver hose ends and for the ones I made myself and SS fittings for the oil feed.

Russell fittings seem to be as expensive as Speed Flow.

Yeah, I didn't choose them based on price....

Just checked the midnight mods website and only the oil line is Teflon-the water lines are rubber. So thanks but i might pass. I think I'll just build a set of Teflon lines with banjo bolts which i should be able to do for around $130.

i had some aeroflow ones made for me,

they leaked without thread sealant.

bought earls ones, not one leak.

i personally think any reputable brand that used compression type fittings should not leak and should seal but f**ks me why those aeroflow ones wouldnt seal properly.

Interesting...

My earls kit fittings leaked, we had to remove them all and put some quality thread sealant dad had at the workshop on them.