Sign in to follow this  
cassio

Grinding sound from starter / flyweel

Hi guys, I have a 180 that I am fixing for a mate and have run into a wierd problem once I have gone to start the car, the car just cranks and it sounds like the starter / flywheel are just grinding together and doesn't start the car.

The problem I face is the car was all pulled to bits when I got the car and aparrantly there were some bits for the silvia and some bits for a Datsun (the SR20 was in a Datsun). I've just pulled the starter motor back out and inspected it and looks and works fine, teeth look a little worn, I've got another starter motor here that I'm gonna test aswell.

The flywheel is fine too with no missing / worn teeth, the only thing I can think of is that flywheel is not right for the car, any way to tell without having to pull the box back out? And any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Also, can't figure out how to post pics off my phone so will post some later.

Edited by cassio

Have you tried turning the engine over with the starter motor bolted in place? If there is no problem bench test the starter and make sure it engages properly and doesn't stick 😊

Yeh that's when it makes the sound like the 2 are grinding together and not engaging (sounds exactly like if you turn the key while the motor is running). Have pulled the starter out and bench tested it and works fine.

Nah its a manual, not sure if the starters are different for autos / manual, could be that. Could be a flywheel from a CA or something too if there different.

Edited by cassio

post-66759-0-51311800-1434112998_thumb.jpg

post-66759-0-04370100-1434113001_thumb.jpg

post-66759-0-69757600-1434113002_thumb.jpg

post-66759-0-97974100-1434113004_thumb.jpg

Starter and flywheel, cant see any excessive wear or damage.

Edited by cassio

Shouldn't make any difference in starting the car should it? Maybe if I was trying to engage the clutch but this just grinds and doesn't turn the motor.

The pinion clutch.. its the part the gear on the end of the starter motor connects to...

starter_motor_pinion.jpg

li_fig_11.jpg

If the rollers in it are letting go, it won't spin the motor and will make a grinding sort of noise.

When you bench test it in a vice, hold a piece of wood up to the gear while its spinning.

Hmmm, Thanks mate, I'll give that a go, I'll try with this other starter motor I've got here aswell, hopefully one of them should be alright.

If you look at the gear from the starter motor the end is worn maybe it's not engaging correctly

If you look at the gear from the starter motor the end is worn maybe it's not engaging correctly

Nope, thats just a typical chamfer to aid in smooth engagement.